PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2011   #1
Bactrian

wildmaven strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwildmaven strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwildmaven strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwildmaven strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwildmaven strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwildmaven strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwildmaven strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwildmaven strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwildmaven strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwildmaven strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwildmaven strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 2423785
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Older clients and wrinkles

I have a photo shoot coming up with an older couple who are very much in love and newly engaged. She told me she wants me to "airbrush away" the bags under her eyes. Now, I'm a HUGE lover of wrinkles, but from her comments, she's not a fan. Are there tricks to downplay the wrinkles? Please share, the shoot is in a couple of days.

wildmaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011   #2
Camel Breath

Rain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 10294924
Default Re: Older clients and wrinkles

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmaven View Post
I have a photo shoot coming up with an older couple who are very much in love and newly engaged. She told me she wants me to "airbrush away" the bags under her eyes. Now, I'm a HUGE lover of wrinkles, but from her comments, she's not a fan. Are there tricks to downplay the wrinkles? Please share, the shoot is in a couple of days.
If you light from the side, the wrinkles will stand out more. I would try maybe going for some "beauty lighting", meaning a bit flat, especially on the woman. Another thought would be to shoot with a little bit of a higher camera angle, and also they shouldn't smile huge, which will make crow's feet stand out more.
Old 08-19-2011   #3
F1 Camel

Sailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSailor Blue strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 190863

To me wrinkles are a book you can read about the life of a person. The last thing I would want to do is remove them, but women don't feel the same way. If I was you I would try to reduce the prominence of the wrinkles with lighting and post processing, but leave them there.

I am still a learner with Photoshop, but I'm learning fast out of a desire to produce better photos. I don't know how experienced you are at post so please forgive me if what I say is something you already know.

I have been told the trick is to reduce the visibility of the wrinkles, but not remove them, by gently lightening the dark part of them with a very small fuzzy burn tool. Work more on the wrinkles that are vertical and those that go downward since they seem to be associated with negative thoughts like stress and anger while those that go up are associated with smiles and happiness.

You can also use the dodge tool to make age spots or moles lighter and less noticble. Between the wrinkles do the same, but with the dodge tool to darken those areas if necessary. You can use the dodge and burn tools to "reshape" the face to some extent by modifying the highlights.

For wattles or bags, use the warp tool to carefully reduce their size by up to 1/2 and you will make the person look better without making them look like someone else.

You can also use the warp tool to reshape the eyes if desired. One example would be if the person had a droopy eye lid - reduce the amount of droop but don't remove all of it. If you need more of the iris and white parts of the eye to fill in once you decrease the droopy eyelid then clone what is there onto a separate layer and rotate it. Add a black mask and paint back in what you need with a white paint brush.

Canon 7D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, Tamron SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
Nissin Di866, Electra CLASSIC Plus studio strobes & modifiers
Sekonic L-358 Flash Meter, Yongnuo RF-602 Transmitters & Receivers
Dell 20" 2001F (1200x1800) IPS monitor, Samsung SyncMaster 23" F2380 (1920x1280) PVA monitor, Datacolor Spyder3Elite for monitor calibration
Sailor Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #4
Photocamel Master

Benji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 571490
Editing OK?: No

Use rather flat lighting, then when you retouch her do what I call a 50% retouch. After you bring the image up in Ps. hit CTRL J which will make a copy of the image, then completely remove all wrinkles, bags, circles, blemishes, age spots, lines, moles, scars, skin tags and so forth then reduce the opacity to 50% and flatten it. Everything you just retouched will still be there but only by 50%. See my example below.

Ben
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Before-N-After.jpg (147.2 KB, 213 views)
In the end, people appreciate frankness more than flattery. Prov 28:23
Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #5
Llama

alanbutler57 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoralanbutler57 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoralanbutler57 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoralanbutler57 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoralanbutler57 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoralanbutler57 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoralanbutler57 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoralanbutler57 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoralanbutler57 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoralanbutler57 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoralanbutler57 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1407855

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji View Post
Use rather flat lighting, then when you retouch her do what I call a 50% retouch. After you bring the image up in Ps. hit CTRL J which will make a copy of the image, then completely remove all wrinkles, bags, circles, blemishes, age spots, lines, moles, scars, skin tags and so forth then reduce the opacity to 50% and flatten it. Everything you just retouched will still be there but only by 50%. See my example below.

Ben
Exactly. I usually fade each "fix" individually rather than the whole layer, but the take away is the same, don't try to make them smooth as a baby, just lessen the effects of age and gravity. You will be amazed when you look at the before and after like Benji's great example. But, if it's done right, and you don't show your client the "before" he/she won't even know you've re-worked them. That's the goal, believable retouching.

You might tell them to google vitamin "K" lotion also for the dark bags.
alanbutler57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #6
Vicuna

samueladams is a name known to allsamueladams is a name known to allsamueladams is a name known to allsamueladams is a name known to allsamueladams is a name known to allsamueladams is a name known to allsamueladams is a name known to allsamueladams is a name known to allsamueladams is a name known to allsamueladams is a name known to allsamueladams is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 2458
Editing OK?: Ask first

Light from below or use a reflector to bounce light up.
Try and take the pictures indoors and turn off the overhead lights. Light from other rooms might be ok. Just nothing directly overhead.
One way to do that is turn the camera upside down if the flash is on the camera and bounce it off the floor (light, not the camera).
You can tell them your trying a new technique to reduce red eye
A white sheet might work for a large floor reflector. (<- I haven't tried this myself but just thought of it)

Once you have images, you can probably find a few of us willing to show off our editing skills on a single picture and you can pick your favorite. At least I would.
samueladams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #7
Camel Breath

Rain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRain Lily strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by samueladams View Post
Light from below or use a reflector to bounce light up.
Try and take the pictures indoors and turn off the overhead lights. Light from other rooms might be ok. Just nothing directly overhead.
One way to do that is turn the camera upside down if the flash is on the camera and bounce it off the floor (light, not the camera).
You can tell them your trying a new technique to reduce red eye
A white sheet might work for a large floor reflector. (<- I haven't tried this myself but just thought of it)
I can understand using a reflector from below, like in butterfly lighting, but the rest of this doesn't make any sense to me at all. Light from below? Can you please show some examples, especially of older women, who are lit from below? Maybe I've not seen this before or just am not remembering it.
Old 08-22-2011   #8
Vicuna

samueladams is a name known to allsamueladams is a name known to allsamueladams is a name known to allsamueladams is a name known to allsamueladams is a name known to allsamueladams is a name known to allsamueladams is a name known to allsamueladams is a name known to allsamueladams is a name known to allsamueladams is a name known to allsamueladams is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 2458
Editing OK?: Ask first

I read this years ago on creative lighting. Flipping the camera upside down was my idea to put a on camera flash below the lens. The basic concept is wrinkles hang down due to gravity, if you light from above your going to exaggerate them tremendously. You don't want their nose to cause a shadow on the forehead, but if you can get some bounce light from below it fills in the dark space eliminating wrinkles. Thus Less editing, hopefully more natural.

Example:
Portrait Lighting
samueladams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #9
Camel Breath

Steven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 995704

Lighting from below will render a very un-natural looking portrait, we used to call this horror film lighting. Do not discount a couple of unavoidable issues, shadow follows light and we are accustomed to seeing light from above. Using a reflector upward like in clamshell lighting is fine but lowering the main light I can't see as being beneficial in the least.

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011   #10
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by samueladams View Post
I read this years ago on creative lighting. Flipping the camera upside down was my idea to put a on camera flash below the lens. The basic concept is wrinkles hang down due to gravity, if you light from above your going to exaggerate them tremendously. You don't want their nose to cause a shadow on the forehead, but if you can get some bounce light from below it fills in the dark space eliminating wrinkles. Thus Less editing, hopefully more natural.

Example:
Portrait Lighting
Thanks for providing some samples with your link. This is how I see it: In the first one, the lower placement of the light did fill in some eye socket shadows, but it wasn't lighting from below, just a more appropriate placement of the light. In the 2nd one, the reflector filled in a huge amount of shadow but made her face look bigger and the lighting is uninteresting and flat. I think their ratio was too low, imo.

I think the reflector from below is a good idea for fill but not so much light reflected. Flat lighting will decrease the appearance of wrinkles indeed but will also provide boring lighting.

BTW has the OP revisited here? I'd love to see what she did with the suggestions and how her pics turned out. Wildmaven, if you're peeking in, how about showing us the results?

Critique and comments always welcome.
Rain Lily is online now   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits »

Share this topic: