Raw + JPEG or just JPEG
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2006   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 12
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Raw + JPEG or just JPEG

Question,

I'm shooting headshots only, indoor studio, photos taken specifically to be retuched in PS. Photos need to be sharp, basically no shadows, (I know, it's not the normal set up, but it's way I have to do it.), but not blown out either.

I'm shooting with a Rebel XT, 8 mp, and need to know: Should I shoot in RAW+Jpg or just jpg? These photos will be sent to the retoucher and then back to me for printing.

Am I compromising the quality of my shot if I only shoot in JPG?

Nannydeb

dvperrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006   #2
dc2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 290
Default Re: Raw + JPEG or just JPEG

I only shoot in raw but with your lighting being controlled then jpeg would probably suit.
Of course if you want to keep images its probably best to keep them in raw , as there uncompressed.
Canon 1Ds2
I lost faith in religion as a child when I saw a lightning conductor being fitted to the local church.
RSPB Member.
dc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes

I'd say shoot both for a while until you figure out which format serves you best. There are pros and cons to shooting each.
JDArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006   #4
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 12

Thanks, I just love this board. People I can trust, and such quick responses to my questions!

Nannydeb
Old 08-07-2006   #5
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvperrin
Thanks, I just love this board. People I can trust, and such quick responses to my questions!
Yeah, it's pretty cool.

Card size will be an issue if you shoot both jpeg and raw, though. If you can pick up a 2 gig or 4 gig card, you should be okay with smaller shoots.
Vincent Sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006   #6
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1362

ditto Jays comments

I only use jpeg when I am in pray and spray mode

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, but a few electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Shortie is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits »

Share this topic: