PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits / People

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2007   #1
Bactrian

angelsfort is a splendid one to beholdangelsfort is a splendid one to beholdangelsfort is a splendid one to beholdangelsfort is a splendid one to beholdangelsfort is a splendid one to beholdangelsfort is a splendid one to beholdangelsfort is a splendid one to beholdangelsfort is a splendid one to beholdangelsfort is a splendid one to beholdangelsfort is a splendid one to beholdangelsfort is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 4422
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Posing a family of 6

Hi there!

I wanted to give my Pastor and his wife the gift of a portrait of the whole family together. They've got 4 children and I'm at a loss for how to pose the whole gang and make it look natural.

I'm going to get them together at a park near their house... but I don't know how to arrange them!

There's 3 boys, 9yrs 6yrs and 5 yrs... and then their daughter who is 3 years old.

I don't know if it matters much, but the two oldest look just like Daddy and the two youngest look just like Mommy...

any ideas? I really like the pose in MVB's avatar... but how can I add two more into it?

I'd appreciate any ideas!!

Old 07-31-2007   #2
Former Camel

heartseye is just really niceheartseye is just really niceheartseye is just really niceheartseye is just really niceheartseye is just really nice
CamelKarma: 460
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Posing a family of 6

Hi.....no way are you going to learn how to do this by reading a few.....likely contrasting opinions. I am not being unkind here....but do you...Can you really think that "posing a group" is SO easy as all that.
Your job is to learn....by reading....by observing....by trying...by studying....Go to a well regarded pro in your area and purchase a gift certificate for your pastor. That helps him, the local pro, and beleive it or not, YOU. Best regards and a small reality check to you...Bob
heartseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

felix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 228901

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartseye View Post
Hi.....no way are you going to learn how to do this by reading a few.....likely contrasting opinions. I am not being unkind here....but do you...Can you really think that "posing a group" is SO easy as all that.
Your job is to learn....by reading....by observing....by trying...by studying....Go to a well regarded pro in your area and purchase a gift certificate for your pastor. That helps him, the local pro, and beleive it or not, YOU. Best regards and a small reality check to you...Bob
You are actually very unkind with your response. Why shooting like that? Maybe there is some history here between the two of you but since when can we not ask questions here anymore?
Old 07-31-2007   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

felix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorfelix.reichardt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 228901

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsfort View Post
Hi there!

I wanted to give my Pastor and his wife the gift of a portrait of the whole family together. They've got 4 children and I'm at a loss for how to pose the whole gang and make it look natural.

I'm going to get them together at a park near their house... but I don't know how to arrange them!

There's 3 boys, 9yrs 6yrs and 5 yrs... and then their daughter who is 3 years old.

I don't know if it matters much, but the two oldest look just like Daddy and the two youngest look just like Mommy...

any ideas? I really like the pose in MVB's avatar... but how can I add two more into it?

I'd appreciate any ideas!!
Have a look at this ... some 'rules' stated here that might help you.
Posing Groups of People for Portraits
And here I found another one four you:
http://jzportraits.home.att.net/chapter-08.html

Cheers, Felix
Old 07-31-2007   #5
Bactrian

angelsfort is a splendid one to beholdangelsfort is a splendid one to beholdangelsfort is a splendid one to beholdangelsfort is a splendid one to beholdangelsfort is a splendid one to beholdangelsfort is a splendid one to beholdangelsfort is a splendid one to beholdangelsfort is a splendid one to beholdangelsfort is a splendid one to beholdangelsfort is a splendid one to beholdangelsfort is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartseye View Post
Go to a well regarded pro in your area and purchase a gift certificate for your pastor. That helps him, the local pro, and beleive it or not, YOU. Best regards and a small reality check to you...Bob
I don't have the money to get them a gift certificate... and they don't have the time to get together with a pro photographer

and the main point here - is that I can take a nice photo of them (regardless of what you think) and they KNOW ME. I know the children, they'll be most comfortable around me... not around a stranger...

I have already been successful at photographing their children, they've got my prints hanging all over their house... No, I am not a professional - but they don't care about that because they are HAPPY with what I've done so far...

And if I thought that posing a group was as "easy as all that" then more than likely I wouldn't have asked for suggestions. I don't need to learn all there is to know about posing a group - or need to learn all there is to know about photography - I was just asking for posing suggestions.

I have already been reading, observing and studying... this is the TRYING part... please let me TRY without attacking me.
angelsfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007   #6
Bactrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix.reichardt View Post
You are actually very unkind with your response. Why shooting like that? but since when can we not ask questions here anymore?
Thank you felix for your defense. I quite agree with you.

And thanks for the links, they were very helpful!
Old 07-31-2007   #7
Photocamel Master

Benji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 563399

"....they KNOW ME. I know the children, they'll be most comfortable around me... not around a stranger..."

Angelsfort,

An EXCELLENT point! Lots of people look about as much forward to being photographed as they do getting an injection (some would prefer the injection!) Also some Christians are most comfortable around other like minded Christians. The local pro may be a Christian, but then again he may not be!

As to how to pose them, this depends. Will this be a formal portrait with dad in a suit and tie and mom in a dress, or a semi-formal portrait with dad in a golf shirt and dress slacks and mom in a pant suit, OR is it a blue jeans and T shirt shot. Answer this question and the pose will become obvious.

Benji

Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007   #8
Former Camel

heartseye is just really niceheartseye is just really niceheartseye is just really niceheartseye is just really niceheartseye is just really nice
CamelKarma: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix.reichardt View Post
You are actually very unkind with your response. Why shooting like that? Maybe there is some history here between the two of you but since when can we not ask questions here anymore?
Sighs......the only history I have with this poster is that I replied to a post she made, AND I gave her Karma at that time.

There are often posts where the poster has little enough respect for the art form, that they think complex things can be learned with just a post or two. That is disrespectful to the many people here who have invested years of education, and sometimes great amounts of money to get to the place where they can offer a competent product.

But this poster dismisses the "local pro" with the implied comment that she can do "just as good". Well I take exception to the attitude that says "save money", "I can do it just as well". And so should everyone on the Camel who has worked and sacrificed to get to where they are.

Photography is a fun, exciting, challenging opportunity for all to enjoy.....but it is ALSO a demanding profession as well......and you don't learn that stuff with a few posts here and there.

Everyone who knows me here knows that I am always willing to help.....but I don't like the attitude that denigrates professionalism and dedication to an art form.

The people who get "Uncle Charlie" to photograph their wedding, or the "friend of the family" who will take a "Nice" portrait of the family are the very ones who say the Pro's are greedy and a waste of money.....I'm disgusted.....Bob

heartseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007   #9
Bactrian

I didn't say I could do "just as good" as the professional. I stated that I could give them a "nice" portrait. When I said "I don't need to learn all there is to know about..." I was responding to what you wrote Heartseye. I wasn't trying to imply that I knew it all and that I couldn't possibly learn anything more... I was simply stating that the reason for this post was to get suggestions on how to pose this family. NOT to learn everything... I understand that you can't learn everything you need to know simply by reading some things about it.

I don't want to have conflict with you. I respect your advice. I am certainly not trying to pass myself off as a professional. I have WAY too far to go before I can even pretend to be one.

My pastor is not in the market for a portrait of his family... I'm not taking a job away from a professional...
Old 07-31-2007   #10
Bactrian

the photos that my pastor has at his house are mostly candid shots that I've gotten of his children at pool parties, Vacation Bible School or in Sunday school etc.

Benji, first let me just say that I followed you over here from Photography tips.com - I read quite a few of your posts on there (long after you had left!) and saw a reference to Photocamel from somebody just saying where you had gone... I thought I'd check it out. If someone with your caliber of experience and your terrific advice and tutorials felt that Photocamel was the place to be, then it was definitely worth checking out!

That said, let me say that my pastor and his family are a blue jeans and t-shirt kind of family. They get dressed up nice for church, but any other time you'll find them much more casual. I think that they'd all prefer to be dressed more casually for a picture.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits / People »

Share this topic: