Opinions on Processing
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits (Advanced Critique)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2017   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 1975
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Talking Opinions on Processing

After processing the two images below, my s/o pointed out that he much preferred the unprocessed versions to my finished work. I have a tendency to be a bit heavy handed with editing and am trying to figure out if I over-processed the photos or if we're just having a difference of opinion due to style.

Feedback on the actual images is welcome, too - but I'm much more interested in hearing feedback on the editing. =0)

Old 04-17-2017   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 6948407
Default Re: Opinions on Processing

Not a fan of the washed-out treatment on the centerpiece photo. The treatment on the couple works better, but personally I'd like to see a version without the washed-out effect while preserving the other aspects of the edit.
zemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017   #3
Vicuna

Wasn't sure which you meant, so I kept the retouching and removed most of the other processing (the centerpiece photo still has a highlight/shadow tint).

AmberCantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017   #4
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 6948407

I like both of those better than the "after" images in your original post. I'm a fan of vignettes, and I think these would both benefit from a bit of dark vignette. The couple shot in the first post is nicely vignetted.

NIK Color Efex Pro has a vignette tool (Vignetter: Lens) I like a lot, because you can choose the center point. Might be useful on the centerpiece image.
zemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017   #5
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6963012
Editing OK?: Ask First

Agree with Zemlin, the original "after" image is too "washed" looking. It is kind of like an Instagram or other "modern vintage art" look. Doesn't appeal to me, but I'm old school for the most part. if you or they like it, then you are good.

But I prefer the latest edit a lot more. You have a bit of vignette in it, but it could do with a bit more darkening on the edges, which I guess is what Zemlin is saying too. The one with the couple could take a but of vignette, but not really in 3 corners (already dark), but I like the color and processing and look of it. Wish her eye was in the image instead of hidden by her hair, but it is mood filled as is.

Hope that helps.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017   #6
Llama

CamelKarma: 35488

I agree with Zemlin and Mr. Pickles. I'm old school as well when it comes to how images look. I remember when images actually came back looking like those processed images in the first set. I know some people like that look, i don't. I much prefer the originals or the second processed set.

Nikon D800, D5500 IR 590nm, D50
nu2scene is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017   #7
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 171735

Also agree, I like the unprocessed or the last images!
yellowtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017   #8
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 923064

I have to agree with the s/o, both edits lose a lot of detail/color and with the couple portrait your edit choices seems to be striving for blending subject into the background; I'd try to lessen the effect as it actually distracts from the couple. Nice captures.
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017   #9
Vicuna

Thanks for the feedback everyone! It's very much appreciated. =0)
AmberCantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017   #10
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: No

I prefer the edited versions, especially with the couple. But maybe if you just try just a little less effect, it would be perfect

jazevedo is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits (Advanced Critique) »

Share this topic: