C&C Please
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits (Advanced Critique)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2017   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 250061
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default C&C Please

I finally have my basement studio up and running. Been wanting to do this for years but could not justify the expense. Then on Craigslist I found a set of Novatron 600 lights (3 lights) for a buck fifty so I jumped on it. Then the lady kept bringing stuff out and I ended up with the three stands that came with the lights, two more heavy duty stands, a Bogen tripod, floor light stand, two umbrellas, and backdrop stand, it was crazy good luck.

This is all just for fun, I really want to take pictures of farm animals (chickens, geese, etc.). Anyway I'm trying to learn one light and one light with reflector, please give me the bad news, from majors flaws to nitpicking. All shot with a Sony a77 and Minolta 50mm 1.4

Basement , suggestions welcome.

One light with reflector, missed the focus a little, there was wine involved (she has really long hair, unfortunately you can't see it, distracting glasses required per model )...(f7.1, 1/200)

One light...(f13, 1/200)

Also learning PS, background eraser would have helped but how is the lighting? Ran SharkPixel PS action and would be interested in your thoughts on that as well. (f7.1, 1/200)

Thank you for your valuable time.

Old 03-18-2017   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 2417690
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: C&C Please

Nice going for starters.

Acquiring more tools for your craft is always a plus. Great lighting and exposure on all of the photos. The first one I would position the model differently than having the shoulders square on the camera. Sometimes this approach works but I find more times it does not flatter the model.

Love the lighting and the mood in the second shot. The way she is positioned is good. I would try next time instead of having the model look down, chin up just a fraction and have her look into the main light or to the camera. Try it both ways and see if you and the model likes it. I would try and put a reflector on the dark side of the models face just to give it a little separation from the background.

The third is nicely done. I'm sure they are all pleased with the results.
Old 03-19-2017   #3
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 703373

We all have opinions so use what you can from this. I think you might have your subject a tad too close to the white bkg and are getting some spill light back on to your subject. I'm viewing this on a laptop and that might be part of the problem. I generally try to keep my model about 6 to 8 ft in front of the background and meter the reflected light at the subject about half to a full stop less.

The second one is a great try for Rembrandt lighting. For a child's portrait I feel the lighting is too stark. There is no separation from the background, the shadow on her left eye is distracting and generally you light a female over the front shoulder and not into the chest. That is just a general rule and is broken often. Hope you find some value in this.
Hackbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 12371327
Editing OK?: Yes

It's time for me to really, really learn lighting too. I think you've got a good start and some great advice above. I'll be watching your threads on lighting also, hoping to get better myself.
Old 03-28-2017   #5
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 250061

Thank you for all the great comments, sharing your wisdom, and most importantly giving your time.

KDS you are right about the shoulders. I will follow up on your suggestions with the second shot, she is very patient with me, I know her well.

Hackbone, they were all about 9 feet from the background but not being too bright (pun intended), another light in the basement was on that I think caused the spill. It was much worse when I added a hair light but...I learned a ton about placement and what to look for thanks to your comment. I also learned how to get rid of it on the cheek in photoshop but to be honest I would prefer to just get the shot correct, much to learn. I agree about the second one as well. I look forward to a second try on those.

I saw your gallery Rain Lily and I'm not sure how much more you need to know, I'd love your criticism as well if you would share.

Thank you all again!

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits (Advanced Critique) »

Share this topic: