Bailey
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits (Advanced Critique)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2017   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 728266
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Bailey

Bailey is in college and wanted what I call 80s glam shots (She needed bigger hair for that so we got out the fan)

DOF was a little shallow in the first shot and the right eye is not as sharp as I would like, but I still like the look of it.

File Type: jpg 31420490363_a377e9b865_o.jpg (122.2 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg 32191701556_1138b0dcb4_o.jpg (139.8 KB, 173 views)
k soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6917518
Default Re: Bailey

Hey, I'm not an expert, but I know some stuff. I know she is quite attractive, just to let you and her know. The images, yes. My first reaction was that the camera angel saw too low. Seems like you were shooting up towards her. Might not have been, but I got the feeling that you were.

The first one, the hair didn't do it for me. Not sure why, but it just seems too poofy and the poof is only on the bottom half of the hair or something. Maybe because the hair is too out of focus. Something just feels wrong. Maybe the fan blowing the hair makes it seem like it is blowing her whole back and she is fighting it. I do think her face coloring is off just a bit, maybe by the lighting.

Second one, like the pose and the height of it (half body like). Nice form and curves. But I don't like her nail polish, and not sure her right hand on her belly is the best place. At her side might be more better. It looks like that hand is pushing in her belly to make her look more slender, and I'm not sure she needs any help in that area. And her left wrist has that dreaded crease from the hand bend.

Last one is more classic, and rigid. She seems stuck in that pose, but it is a typical one. I like this one the best maybe. Not much that I don't think bugs me. She kind of has a bit more of a 'smile" in the 2nd, but this one is close to that. If she had a bit more "happy", this one would be really nice. Note that her face is more even with her skin tones in this as opposed to the color in the first one.

Overall, a really nice 3 set here. Lighting and coloring and detail are all pretty good stuff, except where I noted. Well done by you and her. Hope you get more opportunities to shoot with her and love to see them.

Hope others comment with their thoughts too.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 728266

Thanks for the input and opinion. Just an fyi I was not shooting down In at her eye level. The hair in the first shot was being blown by a fan as mentioned above.
k soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 365
Editing OK?: Yes

Wow !!! very well executed. Interesting composition, love the line, depth, clarity, and mood. Also very beautiful model
J3ffry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask first

First, I agree this is a nice set of photos of a very beautiful model. In the first one I feel that the lighting from her right is just a tad hot. Second one is the best. I love your lighting from the back on her hair and upper arm but it also does a great job of showing off her great waist line. Only thing I would change would be the angle of the lighting from her righ, just a littlle higher would have lit her eyes better instead of lower cheek. All in all a great job!!
dyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 478822

As Mr Pickles stated the camera angle is too low for my taste. With that angle my eye is drawn to other parts and that IS the camera angle doing that. I love the colors and exposures you are getting. I'm having a problem with the lighting. Lets say the kicker or main light that is causing the bright area on the right side of her face. It barely hits or kisses the edge of her face then seems to smack her harder on the chest area. Remember you eye always goes to the bright area first. I love the color harmony and your choice of bkg.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Portraits (Advanced Critique) »

Share this topic: