PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2009   #1
Vicuna

brookei is a jewel in the roughbrookei is a jewel in the roughbrookei is a jewel in the rough
CamelKarma: 257
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Focal length for full length studio shot

Hi All

I am a little bit lost at the moment...
What is the best and minimum focal length for a full length or shot in a studio?
Currently I use a 50mm 1.8 but should I be looking at something different

Regards
Ian

Old 07-29-2009   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

zemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorzemlin strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 5905292
Default Re: Focal length for full length studio shot

There is no minimum.
What are you looking for that you don't get with the 50?
zemlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009   #3
Photocamel Master

Lee4145 has a brilliant futureLee4145 has a brilliant futureLee4145 has a brilliant futureLee4145 has a brilliant futureLee4145 has a brilliant futureLee4145 has a brilliant futureLee4145 has a brilliant futureLee4145 has a brilliant futureLee4145 has a brilliant futureLee4145 has a brilliant futureLee4145 has a brilliant future
CamelKarma: 15128
Editing OK?: No

It depends on if you're looking for realism. I wouldn't go wider than 50mm if it were me. If you do you're going to end up with too much extra "stuff" in your photo or you'll have to get so close that distortion will become an issue.

Project4145

Lee4145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009   #4
Vicuna

brookei is a jewel in the roughbrookei is a jewel in the roughbrookei is a jewel in the rough

Hi

I get great shots from the 50 but with limited space sometimes full length is not possible

As fo the min focal length i thought that i would not want to go below around 35mm (+1.6 crop) due to distortion.. is this correct or am i getting a bit confused

Regards
Ian
brookei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009   #5
Vicuna

Realism is defiantly what I am after

Regards
Ian
Old 07-29-2009   #6
A professional viewpoint.

Ed Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 4982000

For a full length portrait you should use your NORMAL lens or zoom setting; 35mm for a DSLR- 50mm for a full frame DSLR or a 35mm film camera and 80 to 90mm for a medium Format film camera. To get a distortion free image the camera should be placeed at the subjects waist level otherwise foreshortening will occur. The average distance for a full length portrait with the normal focal length lenses is from about 12 to 14 feet between the camera and the subject.

For 3/4 length images you can get away with the normal settings as well provided you do not shoot too high or too low in relation to the subject. Here we are working about 8 feet from the subject and the camera should be placed at about the subject's chest level. I if the space is available you can go a slightly longer in focal length and get a bit more distance. I don't like to work with very long lenses for this kind of portraiture because of the image compression that can occur and the subject look as if he or she are posed too close the background and this cuts down on separation and dimensionality.

I hope this helps. Ed
Ed Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #7
Camel Breath

Steven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 995836

And I would like to add:

Be mindful of both the level (heigth) and the level (angle) of your camera. Even if you stay within the normal focal length and more especially if you go wide angle, be sure the camera is fairly level. Unflattering results can occurr. Just as shooting a tall building with a wide angle can make it appear to be leaning backwards, or buldging in the middle or bottom, the same distortions can occurr with a human subject. Watch out too for revealing unflattering elements like under-chin and nostrils. These things are not so pronounced in a full-length, standing pose since the subject is distanced from the camera but in the world of "devil in the details" these are coinsiderations.

I also like full-lengths that are not purely standing. Sitting someone on a chair will effectively reduce the distance away required, therefore give a larger head size (that's not saying they get a bigger heard - it mean the subject is composed so the head occupies a more viewable portion of the image).

Ed is dead-on with his assessment and reccommendation.

Steve

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #8
Vicuna

Thanks all for the great advice...thats sorted me out!!

Regards
Ian
Old 07-30-2009   #9
Llama

RocketRick strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRocketRick strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRocketRick strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRocketRick strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRocketRick strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRocketRick strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRocketRick strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRocketRick strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRocketRick strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRocketRick strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRocketRick strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 287674

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookei View Post
Realism is defiantly what I am after

Regards
Ian
What are you defying?

- Rick

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -- Inigo Montoya

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: