Film used on Apollo 11?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 639
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Film used on Apollo 11?

According to Wikipedia, some photos were taken with Ektachrome. They might also have taken Ektar up, but that's about all I know

Anyone have more information? I've read the transcription of what they said onboard, I think it was like f/8 and 1/250, infinity, but the only think they mentioned about film was 'black and white magazine' and 'colour magazine'

Go ahead and edit photos I post, but only for use on this forum (else send me a message)

Smugmug - http://xxloverxx.smugmug.com
xxloverxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 3418
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: Film used on Apollo 11?

While I can't confirm what film they DID use (I'd love to know though), I CAN say that they didn't use Ektar. Ektar came out in the 90's and caused no end of confusion, as it sounded just like Ektachrome. But while Ektachrome (which has been around for donkey's) is a SLIDE film, Ektar is a PRINT film.
rafdaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009   #3
Llama

I don't see why they wouldn't use slide film on the moon, but Ektar is out of the question then.
I have read that it was a Kodak film; we'd have to find someone with a list of all the Kodak films during 1960 if we were to guess

Old 07-25-2009   #4
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 675
Editing OK?: No

Here is some info on at least the gear used: Apollo 11 Mission Photography

The Apollo 11 Hasselblad Cameras The Sterile Eye

And finally a link to an Arizona State University and Johnson Space Center project to maintain and create a digital archive of the Apollo program images. Probably the best source of information.
Apollo Image Archive

http://bradmanchas.zenfolio.com
BradM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009   #5
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1206139

It has always been my understanding that Hassies (or Blads) were sent up on all the Apollo flights.

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009   #6
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 300223

Kodak made specialized emulsions for the Apollo missions.

Kodak: A Thousand Words - About kodak.com photography

"Kodak Film in Space
Did you know: John Glenn became the first American to orbit the earth, Kodak film recorded his reactions to traveling through space at 17,400 miles per hour.
Kodak was asked by NASA to develop thin new films with special emulsions double-perforated 70mm film, which permitted 160 pictures in color or 200 on black and white.
Apollo 8 was one of the first missions to use this film. There were three magazines loaded with 70 mm wide, perforated Kodak Panatomic-X fine-grained, 80 ASA, b/w film, two with Kodak Ektachrome SO-68, one with Kodak Ektachrome SO-121, and one with super light-sensitive Kodak 2485, 16,000 ASA film - which produced 1100 color, black and white, and filtered photographs from the Apollo 8 mission."

I imagine these emulsions, or improved versions were on the moon. Ektachrome appears to be the color film type used for the moon missions.
Old 07-25-2009   #7
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1206139

Split 70 huh? Well I never.....

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009   #8
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 300223

Nobody said split 70. It was 70 mm perf in a Hasselblad. Still 6x6. Just on a long roll of perf 70mm.

I suppose you could call it symantecs, but split 70mm was more or less 645 format for printing purposes. Cropped a little, but more or less 645.
Old 07-25-2009   #9
Llama

ISO 16,000 colour negatives?
Some cameras of today don't even go that high and yet, none of the Apollo photos seem that grainy, no grainier in fact than the Superia 800 I shoot.
Of course that could be because it was 70mm vs 35mm…let's not get into that discussion
Brad, thanks for the links, great read!
Thanks for the info Dave!

Go ahead and edit photos I post, but only for use on this forum (else send me a message)

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: