Interesting Blog/Article
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2009   #1
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6150
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Interesting Blog/Article

The Perils of Being a Geek Photographer

This drives the point straight home for me, I am in IS/IT/MIS and I know that initially, when I started this hobby it was all about the facts and figures and the intricacies that made Digital photography. In other words, I am/was a gearhead. I am now on the 12 step program and is working my way out of the dilemma. Thanks to this forum, mainly, since being a member of POTN, drove me deeper into problem. Here, many of our members do understand that may be it is not all about the gear and more about the pictures we take. It doesn't matter if you have a Noink D3x or a 1DSMark III, if you can't compose or expose, your pictures will never more than mediocre or okay at best.

With that said hover, I still will say I am somewhat obsessed and infatuated with the equipment, I guess I will need to get to step 4, "Just take the picture, already..." before I am truly on the path to true photographic appreciation, at least regarding the notion that photography is more of an art than articles about the equipment.

You know, to be completely honest, I blame the media, the magazines for this obsession with gear, every month, with both of my subscriptions: Shutter Bug and Popular Photography, the pages are full of equipment reviews and equipment data and ads. In fact, I remember asking myself this month after ingesting this month's Shutter Bug and POP Photography, okay that's nice, but where are the pictures!

"difficult to survive by becoming professional photographer, it is more profitable to buy secondhand car and do pizza delivery than buy DSRL and shoot weddings." (kenzo D, Dpreview)

-Sig edited b/c someone requested it to done, the fun of was wearing out anyway!!!

I'm post happy, but Karma starved...please donate some
00silvergt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 3332465
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Interesting Blog/Article

I had the same problem with computer magazines. It made me desire the latest and greatest. Just like the photo magazines (and some of the forums) do now.
Old 04-17-2009   #3
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampler View Post
I had the same problem with computer magazines. It made me desire the latest and greatest. Just like the photo magazines (and some of the forums) do now.

It sucks! I'm subscribed to those mags to be a better photog, not a better gearhead. Glad it only cost $7 for pop photography and $16 for 3 years of SB!

"difficult to survive by becoming professional photographer, it is more profitable to buy secondhand car and do pizza delivery than buy DSRL and shoot weddings." (kenzo D, Dpreview)

-Sig edited b/c someone requested it to done, the fun of was wearing out anyway!!!

Old 04-17-2009   #4
KmH

CamelKarma:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00silvergt View Post
....... Shutter Bug and Popular Photography.......
IMO.....Dump those infomercials.

You can subscribe to Rangefinder for free and have a chance to read some real insights from working photographers instead of equipment plugs.
Old 04-17-2009   #5
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KmH View Post

You can subscribe to Rangefinder for free and have a chance to read some real insights from working photographers instead of equipment plugs.
Rangefinder? Let me check them out! Thanks for the tip!

Old 04-17-2009   #6
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 3332465

Quote:
Originally Posted by KmH View Post

Can't believe they can do that for free. Put in my subscription...
Old 04-18-2009   #7
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 596
Editing OK?: Ask first

MIS for the win...
jgillmanjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009   #8
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

good! i like it so much!

turen is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: