PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2009   #1
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Dromedary

motox424 has much to be proud ofmotox424 has much to be proud ofmotox424 has much to be proud ofmotox424 has much to be proud ofmotox424 has much to be proud ofmotox424 has much to be proud ofmotox424 has much to be proud ofmotox424 has much to be proud ofmotox424 has much to be proud ofmotox424 has much to be proud ofmotox424 has much to be proud of
CamelKarma: 10818
Editing OK?: Yes
Question CPL Filter

What is it used for? I received one with my latest lens purchase.

Thanks

motox424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009   #2
Guanaco

TheRileyFactor is just really niceTheRileyFactor is just really niceTheRileyFactor is just really niceTheRileyFactor is just really niceTheRileyFactor is just really niceTheRileyFactor is just really niceTheRileyFactor is just really nice
CamelKarma: 752
Default Re: CPL Filter

Its a polarizing filter. Basically reduces reflections and glare, like Polarized sunglasses
Old 02-20-2009   #3
Guanaco

TheRileyFactor is just really niceTheRileyFactor is just really niceTheRileyFactor is just really niceTheRileyFactor is just really niceTheRileyFactor is just really niceTheRileyFactor is just really niceTheRileyFactor is just really nice

I see you just added the 24-70 2.8 to your sig, how are you liking that one? It could possibly be my next lens purchase (seems like I'm following your Sigma lens purchases, just got myself a 70-200 f2.
Old 02-20-2009   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Dromedary

motox424 has much to be proud ofmotox424 has much to be proud ofmotox424 has much to be proud ofmotox424 has much to be proud ofmotox424 has much to be proud ofmotox424 has much to be proud ofmotox424 has much to be proud ofmotox424 has much to be proud ofmotox424 has much to be proud ofmotox424 has much to be proud ofmotox424 has much to be proud of
CamelKarma: 10818

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRileyFactor View Post
Its a polarizing filter. Basically reduces reflections and glare, like Polarized sunglasses
OK- great! I'll keep that then

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRileyFactor View Post
I see you just added the 24-70 2.8 to your sig, how are you liking that one? It could possibly be my next lens purchase (seems like I'm following your Sigma lens purchases, just got myself a 70-200 f2.
I'll find out tonight, as I will be using it for basketball. I just got that lens this morning i did do some randonm test shots, and as far as the AF being on the noisy side, I like it!
Old 02-20-2009   #5
Guanaco

Good luck with the BBall shoot! I am going to start shooting some sports, we'll see if I do a little BBall! I've been thinking about that one b/c it has received some great reviews, and I can get it basically if I just sell my 24-85. I heard the AF is noisy, but still very fast (just sounds slow b/c of the noise), but I'm not a wedding photographer, so bring on the noise! haha!
Old 02-20-2009   #6
Vicuna

ThePhotoBinder is a glorious beacon of lightThePhotoBinder is a glorious beacon of lightThePhotoBinder is a glorious beacon of lightThePhotoBinder is a glorious beacon of lightThePhotoBinder is a glorious beacon of lightThePhotoBinder is a glorious beacon of lightThePhotoBinder is a glorious beacon of lightThePhotoBinder is a glorious beacon of lightThePhotoBinder is a glorious beacon of lightThePhotoBinder is a glorious beacon of lightThePhotoBinder is a glorious beacon of light
CamelKarma: 1576

I won't test out the filter on a BBall game unless the sun is out. Unless someone knows something I don't.
ThePhotoBinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009   #7
Guanaco

Who knows, maybe he's in one of those arenas with Bright-As-The-Sun lights... kind of like a sports photographer's dream, eh?

I think he's talking about testing out the lens tonight at the game
Old 02-20-2009   #8
Vicuna

ThePhotoBinder is a glorious beacon of lightThePhotoBinder is a glorious beacon of lightThePhotoBinder is a glorious beacon of lightThePhotoBinder is a glorious beacon of lightThePhotoBinder is a glorious beacon of lightThePhotoBinder is a glorious beacon of lightThePhotoBinder is a glorious beacon of lightThePhotoBinder is a glorious beacon of lightThePhotoBinder is a glorious beacon of lightThePhotoBinder is a glorious beacon of lightThePhotoBinder is a glorious beacon of light
CamelKarma: 1576

oh, then testing always good.
ThePhotoBinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009   #9
Vicuna

Pixart has a spectacular aura aboutPixart has a spectacular aura about
CamelKarma: 129
Editing OK?: No

I have even used the polarizer shooting horses - yes horses. On a high/full sun day the fur can reflect a lot of light and the horse will have glaring burned out spots. Polarizer works nicely to eliminate those ugly reflections. Not to mention a pl adds nice pop to the sky.
Pixart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009   #10
A professional viewpoint.

Ed Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 4899724

Y'all are forgettin' some important information regarding polarizing filters. First of all the "C" in "CPL" stands for "CIRCULAR". A circular polarizer can be used with auto-focus and auto-exposure cameras without interfering with those automatic functions. The LPL or LINEAR polarizer can be used with manual cameras of all types such as non-automatic film cameras and view cameras but are not compatible with most of today's DSLRs in that the all feature numerous automatic functions.

Polarizing filters have may usages in in landscape and commercial photography in the areas of reflection reduction or elimination. The most popular usage is darkening of the sky in outdoor photography. The filter will darken a CLEAR sky at 90 degrees to the sun without affecting gray tome or color rendition. The filter is rotated in its' mount until you see the effect you desire.

Polorizers do not eliminate reflections from highly polished metal objects such as small chrome plated electrical appliances or mirrors. When shooting such items tenting of the items with white seamless paper or shooting flat mirrors and oblique angles are the only ways to control or eliminate reflections.

Because polorizers modifiy or eliminates reflections on such objects as leaves and other foliage, thay will provide greater color saturation in landscape photography. This reduction in reflections also effects roofing materials and window glass. You can shoot store window displays without bothersome reflections.

In certain cases, however, you may wish to retain all or some of the reflections. When photographing still water for instance, you may wish to see certain objects reflecting off of the water's surface- too much polarization can make a lake look entirely black.

In portraiture or photography of animals, I oftentimes find that polarization kills some or all of the specular highlight which are needed to give the images the sparkle and brilliance they need to "pop of the page". I will use only minimal or no polarization on animals and I never use polarizing filters in portraiture.

In copying flat artwork I recommend "cross- polarization"- this is where polarizing screens are place over the lights, each a 45 degrees to the camera/subject axis, and placing a polarizer on the camera lens. This will cut through all the glare and deliver a very clear reproduction. Again, rotating the filter will determine the degree of polarization. If you want to capture the texture in painting that are done with pallet knives or bas-relief work, you may only need partial polarization.

Polarizing filters have neutral density- most of them will cost you 2 f/stops. Speaking of cost, good polarizing filters are not cheap. Oh- in black and white photography a polarizer in combination with a (#25) red filter will give you dramatic black skies.

I hope this helps. Ed

Ottawa, Canada
edshapiro@sympatico.ca

Last edited by Ed Shapiro; 02-23-2009 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: Wanted to add something!
Ed Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: