PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2005   #1
Dromedary

Michele will become famous soon enough
CamelKarma: 59
Default Mounting Photos to Photo Mount Boards

Hello...

I have decided to enter some photos in our County Fair this year. First time ever doing this. One of the requirements is that each photo be at least an 8x10 and mounted onto a 16x20 photo mount board. No frames are allowed. I do not have a clue on how to do this or really what this is. I have only had experience using matte's with framing.

What do I need in order to accomplish this or is this something that needs to be done professionally? I have never heard of this type of service before.

Thank you all for your help..

Michele

Old 08-01-2005   #2
Dromedary

JohnC is just really niceJohnC is just really niceJohnC is just really niceJohnC is just really niceJohnC is just really niceJohnC is just really nice
CamelKarma: 574
Default Re: Mounting Photos to Photo Mount Boards

A good full service photo lab should offer mounting. You could do it yourself, but it can be difficult/messy/expensive depending on the way you do it. There are spray mount adhesives (messy). There are mounting presses (expensive) that use heat and/or pressure.

Some frame shops might offer mounting services, too.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

Mr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 4587267
Editing OK?: Ask First

If you have to use a 16x20 piece of board, then I would cut it AFTER mounting the image on it. You can buy the board at hobby shops (I assume they are talking about foam core board?) in a big size that you could get two images out of.

Eyeball approximately the middle and use a can of adhesive on the back of the print to attach it to the board. Do not use double sided tape if you are going to hang it up later because where the tape is will fade different from the rest of the print (at least on ink-jet/photo printer printers). Then measure the image and figure your "empty border" dimensions and cut along those lines.

If you try and use the adhesive and get the image in the center of the board, it will be nearly impossible because once the adhesive is touching the board, it is virtually stuck. After the two are stuck together, I turn it over (print on the bottom) and put some moderate pressure on the back of the board to "set" the image.
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005   #4
Alpaca

karbo is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 11

Hi Michele:

I am guessing they may want the 8x10 centered on an uncut 16x20 board? Either way here is an inexpensive method that should get you through the contest:

1. Get a piece of white foam board at Walmart for about $1.88 for a 20x30 sheet.
2. Get some 3M brand photo mounting spray. (I found some at Office Depot for about $12.00)
3. Cut the foam board down to 16x20 with an exacto knife. (just 1 cut since it is already 20" wide, you only need to cut the 16" side)
4. Spray the back of the photo with the mounting spray then attach to the foam board. (I would pre-mark where it goes to be centered on the board)

Total cost is less than $5.00 (not counting the spray)... You may find a photo mounting spray adheasive cheaper than I did. This should at least get you through the contest.

Hope this helps-

Karbo

karbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #5
Alpaca

Magnum is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 11
Default Watch out for over spray

Clean hands, and maybe an old bedsheet on the floor or table. Spray in constant strokes pressing and releasing off the back of the image. Handle carefully and gently and align to the crop marks on the board. cover image with paper and rub down with clean cloth.
:-*

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: