PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2008   #1
Vicuna

missive is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 13
Default How Does Your Photography Affect You Life

I guess the subject really covers my question to all of you. You wouldn't be on this forum if you didn't really enjoy a camera and lens.

To tune this to a finer point; What does photography do to help you? What does it do to make you feel better or worse about whichever society you live in?

Does photography give you a chance to stand off and observe, while recording?

Are you a better person for your photographic efforts? Have you gotten a better sense of nature or man while making your photographic efforts?

How have you progressed as to your understanding of light and shadow?

I could ask a million more questions but will leave it here. Feel free to comment on those things I have left out that affect you personally from your love of photography.

This is a broad range of questions but I mean it only to ask the simple question of what is photography doing to your awareness?

If you would like to PP my photos please PM me as a courtesy. I may say no. I may say yes. Either way I am pleased at your interest.
missive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #2
Dromedary

ebears strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorebears strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorebears strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorebears strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorebears strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorebears strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorebears strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorebears strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorebears strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorebears strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorebears strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 135523
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: How Does Your Photography Affect You Life

I have been taking photos for 50 years but have only got serious recently. I am seeing things differently now, eg I looked at some garbage bins out waiting for collection and "saw" the photo.

As I said elsewhere on this site , you have the photography bug bad when you buy bulbs to plant depending of how the flower will photograph in spring.

It is something you can do in a solitary way or interact with people as much as you like through forums,camera clubs etc. I work with the disabled for a job so find photography relaxing. I will stop if it stops being fun.
Old 04-22-2008   #3
Guanaco

nyschulte is a name known to allnyschulte is a name known to allnyschulte is a name known to allnyschulte is a name known to allnyschulte is a name known to allnyschulte is a name known to allnyschulte is a name known to allnyschulte is a name known to allnyschulte is a name known to allnyschulte is a name known to allnyschulte is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 2341
Editing OK?: Ask First

I started photography some 2 years ago, after a break of 15 years.
What started as a way of balance to work became a passion (some tell me even an obsession)

it changed the way i look. i am unable now to watch a movie without thinking about lighting.
When i drive by car, i see the light doing it's magic on landscapes (and still have an eye on the road)

i reach now a point where sometimes a businesslike style shows its ugly face: as i start to get a certain reputation everybody knocks on the door. This is fine and i am flattered to have my agenda nicely filled but on the other side i barely had one week this year for myself.
Soon i have to take the decision either to refuse some requests, or to up the prices in order to find enough balance for private life
i want now to focus on outdoor people fotography but find myself stuck in the studio

To the positive side of the hobby, i strive for the moment when people get the result on paper. It is not the financial aspect, the reward lies in watching their emotions .

Yes, my life has changed. I spend only the required time at work and the rest with the hobby. I do not have more 'idle' time. bank accounts have suffered, but this goes with all hobbies. social life has dramatically improved

My overall quality of life has changed, less burried under the job. Thus being more efficient at the job at the same time.

Nicolas
nyschulte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #4
Vicuna

Nice responses. Thanks. Do you think that the observation required before snapping a shutter has improved your acuteness?

Your acuteness is relative to your being more aware of the life and movement around you?

IE: Are you seeing things differently through the lens than you have before and has this altered your mental attitude towards what you shoot vs what you used to shoot?

If you would like to PP my photos please PM me as a courtesy. I may say no. I may say yes. Either way I am pleased at your interest.
Old 04-22-2008   #5
F1 Camel

gryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1080249
Editing OK?: Yes

I have worked in a very stressful profession for the last 26 years. Photography is my relaxation. Basically it keeps me from killing stupid people.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #6
Vicuna

Photography has a tendancy to couple one with the breath of life. A deep, refreshing breath. Nice post.

Old 04-22-2008   #7
Bactrian

Not4wood is a splendid one to beholdNot4wood is a splendid one to beholdNot4wood is a splendid one to beholdNot4wood is a splendid one to beholdNot4wood is a splendid one to beholdNot4wood is a splendid one to beholdNot4wood is a splendid one to beholdNot4wood is a splendid one to beholdNot4wood is a splendid one to beholdNot4wood is a splendid one to beholdNot4wood is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 3876

After almost 10 years after putting down my camera after being burned out. I started Digital just about Thanksgiving last year. As a kid I started walking around with my camera at my side back in the mid 70's, turned pro, worked in a Wedding Studio then eventually Managed a small Studio in Manhattan. I've got to meet very interesting people from all over the world. On my own, I've been into Scenery and travel photography to dispell the hang up on People.

Always looking for a great expression or situation to photograph between the average person walking down the street, that great scene which needs to be captured for all eternity.

Doing it for just the fun is a nice change, but I'm always looking at life a little bit with a witness eye looking for that next shot. Looking back, I wouldn't change a thing and I've enjoyed photogaphy for about 35 years.

Nikon D700
Nikon D80 w/Kit 18-135
Nikon 70-300 VR f:4.5-5.6
Nikon 60mm f:2.8 Macro
Sigma 24-70 f:2.8 DG DF Aspherical
Old Vivitar 283, Nikon SB900
Manfrotto Tripod 055XB w/Manfrotto 486 RC2 Ball Head
Not4wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #8
Vicuna

20DNewbie has much to be proud of20DNewbie has much to be proud of20DNewbie has much to be proud of20DNewbie has much to be proud of20DNewbie has much to be proud of20DNewbie has much to be proud of20DNewbie has much to be proud of20DNewbie has much to be proud of20DNewbie has much to be proud of20DNewbie has much to be proud of20DNewbie has much to be proud of
CamelKarma: 9503

It gets me away from all the donkeys of normal everyday life.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D
and a couple bits of glass.
20DNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #9
Llama

JeRon is a splendid one to beholdJeRon is a splendid one to beholdJeRon is a splendid one to beholdJeRon is a splendid one to beholdJeRon is a splendid one to beholdJeRon is a splendid one to beholdJeRon is a splendid one to beholdJeRon is a splendid one to beholdJeRon is a splendid one to beholdJeRon is a splendid one to beholdJeRon is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 3801

Ahhhh...too many to mention.

However, what brings to my mind when I reflect about my quest in photography is the wonderful experience of meeting different people who turn out later as my friends.

I feel I belong to a certain group of people who understand certain language, see similar things, and share similar experiences and other things.

I even feel that my passion is bordering into obsession!

My Photography has been an occasional source of financial assistance, though i must admit that I spend a bit more than gain from it. Well, it's almost a year now since I plunge into digital world of capturing those rare fleeting moments.

Photography is my Third Eye. Seeing things differently and showing them to the rest of the world who seldom see the beauty of life.

JeRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #10
Bactrian

Not4wood is a splendid one to beholdNot4wood is a splendid one to beholdNot4wood is a splendid one to beholdNot4wood is a splendid one to beholdNot4wood is a splendid one to beholdNot4wood is a splendid one to beholdNot4wood is a splendid one to beholdNot4wood is a splendid one to beholdNot4wood is a splendid one to beholdNot4wood is a splendid one to beholdNot4wood is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 3876

Very nicely put, Jeron. Thank you for the insight.

Not4wood
My Flickr Portfolio: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30920268@N06/show/

Nikon D700
Nikon D80 w/Kit 18-135
Nikon 70-300 VR f:4.5-5.6
Nikon 60mm f:2.8 Macro
Sigma 24-70 f:2.8 DG DF Aspherical
Old Vivitar 283, Nikon SB900
Manfrotto Tripod 055XB w/Manfrotto 486 RC2 Ball Head
Not4wood is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: