PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2007   #1
Alpaca

JHeishman is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 10
Default New York Institute of Photography

Has any one seen or taken the program?? do you think it is worth it? any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Old 11-20-2007   #2
Guanaco

nyschulte is a name known to allnyschulte is a name known to allnyschulte is a name known to allnyschulte is a name known to allnyschulte is a name known to allnyschulte is a name known to allnyschulte is a name known to allnyschulte is a name known to allnyschulte is a name known to allnyschulte is a name known to allnyschulte is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 2341
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: New York Institute of Photography

Hi,
if you use the search function you will find many results.

Regards,

Nicolas
nyschulte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007   #3
Photocamel Master

Benji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBenji strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 571490
Editing OK?: No

I took it in 1982. It was great back then, but I can't say how it is now in the digital world.

I noticed even in 1982 a lot of the images used in the course appeared to have been taken in the 1950's (they were of one of the owners' children so maybe it was required to have her in there.)

Benji
Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

Mr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 3904657
Editing OK?: Ask First

Here is a link to a big discussion on NYIP

New York Institute of Photography - I'm taking the course.
Mr. Pickles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007   #5
dgs
Guanaco

dgs is a jewel in the roughdgs is a jewel in the roughdgs is a jewel in the roughdgs is a jewel in the rough
CamelKarma: 359
Editing OK?: Yes

It has been very helpful for me. A lot of the material covers film cameras, but most of the principles apply to both. I have been able to buy Adobe products at the educational price, so that is a big win.

thanks,
Danny
Old 11-21-2007   #6
Alpaca

Doug Hunwick is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 28

New York institute of photography
did it in 1990 as a enthusist learnt heaps then dont know how they go on digital
was in kiwiland then
doug h
Doug Hunwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007   #7
F1 Camel

JACKCAT strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJACKCAT strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJACKCAT strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJACKCAT strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJACKCAT strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJACKCAT strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJACKCAT strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJACKCAT strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJACKCAT strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJACKCAT strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJACKCAT strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 2146765

I looked into this many years ago but never did it. Not sure what the cost is but I think theres many places now with the web that are worthy. I do know of one place that will give you the BEST instruction on portraiture but I don't want to mention it here. It's expensive but if your serious, it will pay off for you. PM me if your intrested.
JACKCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007   #8
Russ Holmes

FocusingOnFlorida is a glorious beacon of lightFocusingOnFlorida is a glorious beacon of lightFocusingOnFlorida is a glorious beacon of lightFocusingOnFlorida is a glorious beacon of lightFocusingOnFlorida is a glorious beacon of lightFocusingOnFlorida is a glorious beacon of lightFocusingOnFlorida is a glorious beacon of lightFocusingOnFlorida is a glorious beacon of lightFocusingOnFlorida is a glorious beacon of lightFocusingOnFlorida is a glorious beacon of lightFocusingOnFlorida is a glorious beacon of light
CamelKarma: 1583

Over half-way done. There are a few film specific courses, but the technique of capturing light hasn't changed much, just the media it is captured on. (And a few new bells and whistles on the camera) I have some old books from my father from the 50s, still interesting reading.

Web - http://www.focusingonflorida.com
MySpace - http://www.myspace.com/russellholmesphotography

editing allowed, comments always welcome!
FocusingOnFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007   #9
Vicuna

cyclone will become famous soon enough
CamelKarma: 92

I posted this on the another board a while back as a NYIP FAQ. (I was stuck in a snow storm at the time):

-------------------------------------------------

On a regular basis, people post questions about the New York Institute of Photography (NYIP). I have had it in my mind to post a FAQ on the subject, and with the large snowfall here in the Midwest, I obviously have nothing better to do (or am procrastinating shoveling the 2 foot snowdrifts on the driveway). Maybe this will be worth the time, so here goesÖ.

Is the NYIP legitimate?
Yes. I have taken the course and can say that it is. Although they do have a physical building with offices, etc. in New York, it is a correspondence school. It is not an accredited college or anything of that sort. You do get a nifty certificate to put on the wall. However, if you want a four-year degree in photography, look somewhere else.

What is the difference between the Complete Course in Professional Photography (Original Course) and the Digital Courses?
The Original Course is the course that teaches all about photographic fundamentals. It is primarily film based, but of course most everything is applicable to digital photography as well. They used to have a course called the Complete Course in Digital Photography that taught a little about photographic technique, but primarily focused on digital file manipulation, with emphasis on Photoshop. Recently, it appears they have split that into two courses: Fundamentals of Digital Photography (Short Course) and Adobe Photoshop for Photographers (Complete Course).

How are the courses arranged?
The Complete Courses have 6 units. Each unit has several lessons each. Also, each unit has: photo assignments (3-6 each) that are sent in and critiqued by your advisor; a written test that is pretty easy (but makes sure you have at least read the lessons); and a video/DVD to watch.
For the Original Course, the units and lessons are:
Unit 1: Eye of the Photographer; Camera and Lens; How to Use Your Camera
Unit 2: Film; Exposure; Developing Black and White Film; Filters; Developing Your Eye
Unit 3: Natural Light including Travel Photography; Available Light; Artificial Light; Strobe; The Perfect Print; The Darkroom
Unit 4: Basic Portrait Lighting; Studio Portraiture; Location Portraiture; Child and Pet Photography; Wedding Photography; Color Film Processing
Unit 5: Photojournalism 1; Photojournalism 2; Fashion Photography; Finishing Touches; Copying, Macro Photography, and Photomicroscopy
Unit 6: Glamour and Nude; View Camera; Advertising and Still Life; Architectural Photography

How much does it cost?
NYIP is a pretty crafty for-profit business. After you present an inkling of interest, they will send out lots of mailings. The first mailing will have an offer. It will not be their best offer. After the first mailing, a second offer will be presented. Be patient. It will probably take about three mailings to get to the lowest offer. Obviously costs change (that is, go up over time), but if you wait and also pay in full (rather than use the installment plan), past students have paid in the $650-$700 range.

How long does it take to complete?
If you hop right on it, about 6 months or less. If you have a life, you have up to 3 years to complete everything. If you are paid in full, you will be granted an extra year (4 in all) upon request.

How does it compare to other on-line courses, for example, at Better Photo?
I have no idea, as I have never taken a Better Photo course. Many people love these courses, so Iím sure they are excellent. I can tell you that the typical 4-8 week course at Better Photo costs around $200-$300, and covers one topic.

Iíve heard the material is kind of outdated.
OK, thatís not a question, but a statement. AnywayÖ..some of the material looks outdated, and in the digital course, itís hard to keep up with the latest pixel count. Again, NYIP is a pretty crafty business. Changing course materials increase cost, so they donít do that as often as many would like. But the fundamentals donít change, and that is what they teach.
Old 11-26-2007   #10
dgs
Guanaco

dgs is a jewel in the roughdgs is a jewel in the roughdgs is a jewel in the roughdgs is a jewel in the rough
CamelKarma: 359

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone View Post
I posted this on the another board a while back as a NYIP FAQ. (I was stuck in a snow storm at the time):

Is the NYIP legitimate?
Yes. I have taken the course and can say that it is. Although they do have a physical building with offices, etc. in New York, it is a correspondence school. It is not an accredited college or anything of that sort. You do get a nifty certificate to put on the wall. However, if you want a four-year degree in photography, look somewhere else.
I agree that it is not a four year college, however it is accredited. Go to this link, Institution Accreditation - Search Page, and enter the search string "new york institute of photography", and you will find it. This is how I was able to purchase software from Adobe with the edu discount.

thanks,
Danny

dgs is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: