PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
PhotoCamel Directory Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > The Photographer > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2007   #1
Dromedary

ljh34465 is a jewel in the roughljh34465 is a jewel in the roughljh34465 is a jewel in the rough
CamelKarma: 272
Default Puerto Vallarta

I have not seen this approach on the site before but I think it could be one of its biggest attributes.
I may be going to Puerto Vallarta after the first of the year and would like any opinions, recommendations, photo ops, etc. that anyone might care to share. When to be where, don't miss this, go here for a local meal, etc.
Would appreciate any and all input - if it works, might be able to develop a new "I am going to ............. forum"
Thanks,

Larry

Perhaps this would be better in the "Travel/Landscape" Forum - if the Mods feel this way, please move it. Thanks.

Old 11-10-2007   #2
Vicuna

Arizona will become famous soon enough
CamelKarma: 83
Default Re: Puerto Vallarta

Ride the chicken bus to Mismaloya for about 5 pesos or 50 cents. It is a fun way to go. If you swim or snorkel take your gear. on the way you will see a small set of islands very close to shore. One has a tunnel that goes all the way through. You can ask the driver to stop abeam those islands and make your way down the cliffs to a stony beach and study the currents and breaking waves. Then swim out to the islands and through that tunnel. I dragged my photo gear behind me in a Seagear drybag on top of a blow up inner tub beach toy, a tough one. Or you can pay 40 bucks for a boat to take you out to the same place. In Mismaloya there are some cool things to see and photograph. There was a guy down on the beach who was BBQing fish and a meal of that with rice was 10 bucks for two. Good photos there as well. Walk through the old movie set where John Huston filmed Night of the Iguana.

Down just in the old Town in Vallarta there is a little place on one of the side streets just north of the Bus Station a block or two that had the best salsa I have ever eaten. Wish I remembered the name but you'll just have to explore.

There is a cool Mercado along the river nearby with swinging bridges to access. Lost of good places to photograph all around the town. We climbed up the steep streets and continued on towards the top through pathways. Met some of the eclectic locals. The possibilities are many. We took the bus out and followed a river up into the jungle in one area. Whoah, what a weird place after the desert, steamy with roots trying to strangle the rocks.

It does not hurt to speak the language but you can get by without it too. Don't follow the tourist things if you want to find the good stuff on your own for a few cents instead of many dollars. That will leave you more to spend on other things.
Old 11-10-2007   #3
Dromedary

ljh34465 is a jewel in the roughljh34465 is a jewel in the roughljh34465 is a jewel in the rough

Wow - Thanks Arizona - this is JUST the kind of stuff I am looking for. Did you go to Tony's at Mismaloya?
ljh34465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007   #4
Vicuna

I don't remember Tony's but I might have been by there. This was two cameras before the one I'm shooting now and I have had this one for three years.

I did a lot of work around Mismaloya but this is the shot of the red snapper BBQing away on the beach.

and a shot from the stony beach we discovered a few miles back towards town (could be less). The islands are unmistakable and you will see them. Those bus drivers will stop anywhere to let you off if they can find a place to pull over. Just ask them a little ahead of time. They will pick you back up at any place they can pull over as well. Just hold up your hand and hail them down.

We go down somewhere in Mexico every so often and always stay away from taxis and tourist things. You can make your own tours for pennies. Talking to the locals is a very good way to find interesting things.
Old 11-10-2007   #5
Vicuna

I"ll add a bit more on traveling inexpensive in Mexico or most anywhere else. We find a mercado and buy some canned tuna, tortillas and bottled drinks for excursions like that beach/island exploration. Again, very little money compared to eating in a restaurant. Just take a Swiss Army knife to prepare your food and open cans. It is fun to eat out some as the places are fun at times but we don't do it for every meal. There is a large grocery store down near the old town, in it probably. We got a whole roasted chicken there and some trimmings for a few bucks and had some fine dining on the beach at sunset.

Just take a day sized rucksack for everyone in the party and you can move at will for little money. You are certain to find strange and wonderful things.
Old 11-11-2007   #6
Dromedary

well, that did not work, did it?
I am sure there must have been one other Camel that has gone to PV . i was hoping that this would have opened up a new arena -"I am going here and what can anybody tell me about it" -
Think it should have been in the Landscape/Travel forum??
ljh34465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007   #7
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
F1 Camel

uk2usa strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoruk2usa strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoruk2usa strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoruk2usa strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoruk2usa strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoruk2usa strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoruk2usa strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoruk2usa strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoruk2usa strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoruk2usa strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoruk2usa strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 349734
Editing OK?: Yes

I think that this is a great idea... unfotunately I have never been to PV.
I think this idea could be opened up into its own thread. Have some karma for the idea
uk2usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007   #8
Vicuna

Just get as near to the old Town as you can. It has the charm. Most of the roofs are the red tile and the building white. Everything is in a nice state of decay like most of Mexico. It does seem odd that on a forum with 17,500 members you have not gotten more responses.
Old 11-15-2007   #9
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

Ken-L has much to be proud ofKen-L has much to be proud ofKen-L has much to be proud ofKen-L has much to be proud ofKen-L has much to be proud ofKen-L has much to be proud ofKen-L has much to be proud ofKen-L has much to be proud ofKen-L has much to be proud ofKen-L has much to be proud ofKen-L has much to be proud of
CamelKarma: 11763
Editing OK?: No

I just uploaded a bunch of shots from April 2004....taken with a Point-N-Shoot....when we were there with friends.

Puerta Vallarta - a photoset on Flickr

I don't remember where we went....although we did take the bus!! There are some GREAT restaurants there.....and IMHO it's the best place in Mexico! We got to visit locals, and have dinner at one home. We were running all day and night, but always took time for cocktails by the pool watching the sun set.......

My friends have a place there and know it inside and out....but I'm leaving on a trip Saturday and doubt I'll be able to get any info for you until after Thanksgiving......hang in there!

Nikon D700 Nikkors: 35/f2D, 16-35/f4VR, 28-300VR, 70-300VR.
Feisol CT-1471 Monopod Manfrotto 190CXPro4 Tripod w/496RC2 Ballhead
Gitzo 1325 Mountaineer Tripod w/ReallyRightStuff BH-55 Ballhead
My Website http://kensphotos.weebly.com
or
View My Photos at http://flickr.com/photos/ken-l/collections
Ken-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007   #10
Dromedary

Thanks, Ken - appreciate the response and after TG is not problem - would like the "insider" info - but I do like your "sunset" approach

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > The Photographer > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: