Understanding Exposure - Page 6
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2007   #51
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 591
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Understanding Exposure

Maybe the definition of "chimping" has been changing, but originally it meant looking at the image on your LCD screen and saying "ooh, ooh, ooh" like a chimpanzee. It didn't mean just looking at the LCD to see if the image worked out.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007   #52
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Maybe the definition of "chimping" has been changing
Yes, it has. SportsShooter, and the rest of us, seem to have taken to just using it to identify anyone looking at the back of the LCD screen, with or without noises. There's even a "National No Chimping Day" (which became "No Chimping Weekend") now which bans all use of the LCD screen.

Still good to know the history though, heheh.
Old 07-24-2007   #53
Camel Breath

Location: Mental State: Just west of chaos and south of disaster.
CamelKarma: 45181
Editing OK?: Yes

That was a very amusing step into the history of chimping your shot. I wondered where such a term originated. When it was explained to me...Michael, I believe you are responsible for the evolution of the term, it was explained that it was looking at a shot quickly to determine how to improve it.

I will admit, I have been a classic chimper at times. But it does the body good. I am also glad to see in the video major pros who chimp too.

Kirk - Kelby's shots look pretty amazing in his book. You can also see some of his work on his website at Photoshop Insider He is like the photoshop master of everything.

www.kellylylephotography.com
www.centralillinoisweddings.com

"Opportunity knocks in vain if you don't reach out and open the door." K.C. Lyle
KellyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007   #54
Camel Breath

Well, I went to Scott Kelby's site and asked him to weigh in on the subject and explain his use of aperture priority. We'll see if he responds. I also sent him a link to our discussion. Would LOVE to have him stop by and give some insight. Take a look at his gallery. It is pretty incredible.

"Opportunity knocks in vain if you don't reach out and open the door." K.C. Lyle
Old 07-24-2007   #55
Camel Breath

Quote:
Michael, I believe you are responsible for the evolution of the term, it was explained that it was looking at a shot quickly to determine how to improve it.
SportsShooter (of which I'm not a member) was already using it the way I've been using it; I just continue to spread the love. LOL
Old 07-24-2007   #56
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1054
Editing OK?: Ask first

I'm with John chimping requires sound...
brice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007   #57
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 151938

Kelly thanks for starting this thread and everyone else for posting some great info. I can tell exposure is like an elephant, I am going to have to eat it one little bite at a time. Man is my brain full, I think I may be vapor locked !

http://pbase.com/harrydavid
Amateur having fun! Feel free to edit any of my images.
harryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007   #58
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 460

The best reason for using the built-in meter is that it measures the light AFTER it has passed thru the lens. When you consider that the light loss in lenses varies due to absorption and reflection by all the glass components you will see that not all F/8's( as an example), are the same in terms of light transmission. There was a plan some years ago to state what the T/stops were, as well as the F/stops, T/stops being the actual light reaching the film/sensor, and F/stops being the calculated....but NOT measured.....amout of light the lens passes. For this reason, there have been virtually no new external exposure meters invented, except for flash meters for studio use......
heartseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007   #59
Camel Breath

Michael: Camel Date: 8.08.2006 On Correct Exposure of the Moon:
Quote:
Get the tightest metering pattern (as the 20D lacks true spot metering) you can, point it at the moon, and dial that in. *Snap a quick shot, and chimp to see how it looks. *The histogram isn't going to do you much good, so get it how you like on the screen, and then bracket over/under a bit to make sure you got it.

This will get the moon itself.
His instructions did not include making any sounds.

I have been thinking this exposure thing all over again. Can I just say that life was simpler when I didn't have a light meter and I just trusted the in camera meter?

Old 07-24-2007   #60
Camel Breath

Quote:
His instructions did not include making any sounds.
LOL

Well, I haven't seen any mention of the sounds on SportsShooter for over a year. I forget how old that video is, but the cameras used are the D1H and original 1D (with one D2H at the end), so the evolution is logical.

Quote:
I have been thinking this exposure thing all over again. Can I just say that life was simpler when I didn't have a light meter and I just trusted the in camera meter?
You sure can... =)

cyclohexane is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: