What Genre of Photagraphy is the most challenging?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2017   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 266809
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default What Genre of Photagraphy is the most challenging?

Just like the title asks...
What is your opinion? Why?

Not trying to pick apart someone's own challenge, but in general purpose ..

Old 08-23-2017   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 9058810
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: What Genre of Photagraphy is the most challenging?

To do it right, they all are challenging. Many try to be a jack of all trades but most find something they like and stick with it. Mine are sports which have the problems of fast action, peak action, bad lighting and uncertainty of where the ball is going, travel with lighting, weather, people in the way, wildlife which is challenging because of the travel, the need to wait sometimes long hours and to master the long lenses. Throw in portrait with the many, many lighting styles and expectations of the clients and that is challenging. My most challenging would be wedding. Not that it is the most difficult but it would be corralling the guests with their ipads, iphones, cameras trying to get a shot and interfering with the paid photographer. Neither me nor my wife will get within 10 miles of a wedding unless it is a relative and one we know quite well. Product photography is hard also. They all are very challenging if you do them correctly.
jhawk1000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 400323

Solar eclipse photography. I spent weeks preparing for the recent total eclipse, and captured nothing worth posting. Highways were clogged with others who also must have been disappointed.
Jim Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 9058810

I was lucky. My wife and I were scheduled to travel a couple of hours north to be in the line of total eclipse. She had an operation on her cervical spine and was not able to travel distances and we knew it would be clogged roads all the way home. I was able to get a good shot of 93% eclipse with my Nikon 300mm f4 and my old but trusty Nikon D2x at small aperture, high shutter speed and a very dark neutral density filter. It is posted on photocamel.
jhawk1000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017   #5
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466

The most challenging? The one you can't do always seems to be the most challenging.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018   #6
Llama

CamelKarma: 1209634

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawk1000 View Post
To do it right, they all are challenging. Many try to be a jack of all trades but most find something they like and stick with it. Mine are sports which have the problems of fast action, peak action, bad lighting and uncertainty of where the ball is going, travel with lighting, weather, people in the way, wildlife which is challenging because of the travel, the need to wait sometimes long hours and to master the long lenses. Throw in portrait with the many, many lighting styles and expectations of the clients and that is challenging. My most challenging would be wedding. Not that it is the most difficult but it would be corralling the guests with their ipads, iphones, cameras trying to get a shot and interfering with the paid photographer. Neither me nor my wife will get within 10 miles of a wedding unless it is a relative and one we know quite well. Product photography is hard also. They all are very challenging if you do them correctly.
Was about to reply to the original question but when I read your reply, it was my thoughts, word for word.

Success is producing a product the client is pleased with so doing it right is always a challenge. The difference is, the real pros don't let it show. So much of this art is subject to one's personal likes and dislikes. Even though you can have your own style it's impossible to have a "canned" product that everyone will like.

After marrying off 3 daughters this year, and being disappointed with the results of the pros the girls chose to use, I've started doing weddings again. So much of the day does not go as scheduled and gets rushed but then again, much of it is spontaneous and that's what I love about it.

Personally motorsports is the least challenging for me, but then again after 40 years doing it I should be starting to get the hang of it.

https://twitter.com/RSweetenImages

https://www.facebook.com/ricksweetenimages
Nikon Gear

For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
nohoneythatsnotanewlens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018   #7
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 575268

`

Cosmetic portraiture of middle age women.

Why ? If I hafta tell you why then you won't
understand anywho
Golem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018   #8
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1457659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golem View Post
`

Cosmetic portraiture of middle age women.

Why ? If I hafta tell you why then you won't
understand anywho
Or, as I would put it, flattering the subject without doing undue violence to reality.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018   #9
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 400323

My success rate for really satisfactory sports photography is much less than 0.1%, but I've never taken a wildlife photo that pleased me.
Jim Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018   #10
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1032968

Astrophotography, sure anyone can shoot the moon but capturing the cosmos.....

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: