Jpeg or RAW? - Page 6
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012   #51
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 27350891
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Jpeg or RAW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by korman View Post
If you want cases more from the professional side, go back and read the various links posted earlier about professionals not using raw. If it works for them to make good money, who are you to tell them they don't know their business? Don't you think they evaluated the benefits of using raw and made an informed decision, which just doesn't seem to fit into your view of the world?
So you still cannot come up with a case where shooting JPEG is an actual necessity rather than a convenience to avoid appropriate computer technology.

There actually are some though. Legal issues with rules of evidence being one. Anything that actually does amount to real time use is another.

But inability to grok computer technology is not.

Quote:
Oh, and what was all the moaning about raw-files from the D800 being so big? A mirage?
The D800 can be configured to produce NEF files that average, according to Nikon, about 13.6MB per shot, producing 15.4MP images. If that is too big, which camera would you suggest?

It isn't just computer technology that is required, but knowing how to use the technologies made available in modern cameras too.
Old 04-29-2012   #52
Dromedary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Lily View Post
And it only takes a couple of seconds to change from jpeg to raw.
But you can always shoot either straight RAW, or RAW+JPEG. It doesn't require more work, or take any longer, and the disk space necessary is dirt cheap.

While switching between RAW and JPEG on the camera is quick and easy, so is doing that at a later date... unless you switched the camera to JPEG, and then you can never retrieve what is lost.

I just cringe at the idea of throwing away something useful.
Old 04-29-2012   #53
RV

CamelKarma:

Quote:
Originally Posted by korman View Post
If you want to contact him, I'll send you his coordinates. But please do so during day-time here in Europe.

Korman
Sure, actually post the link to his website, blog, or link us to some of his published work. I would be interested in checking it out.

Secondly, I would like to see some of your work. I noticed that you post allot of advice, comments, and critiques on others work but I have not had the pleasure to view yours. Got a website, blog, photo-bucket, or something online we can browse?

Old 04-29-2012   #54
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 27
Editing OK?: Ask First

What's an Eye-Fi card?

I never heard of a memory card that would only accept certain photo formats. The types of cards I am familiar with are the standard CF card and SD card. The SD has some high capacity varients like SDHD and Hx or something like that.
Old 04-29-2012   #55
RV

CamelKarma:

Eye-Fi Review: Digital Photography Review

Old 04-29-2012   #56
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 12368774

Quote:
Originally Posted by apaflo View Post
But you can always shoot either straight RAW, or RAW+JPEG. It doesn't require more work, or take any longer, and the disk space necessary is dirt cheap.
Spoken like a man who is not me, a mom of 2 kids in college and 1 in high school, and with lots of bills to pay and limited time to process...LOL. It does indeed take longer to convert from raw to jpeg than it does to download jpeg files alone. Another whole step - loading them in DPP, selecting, adjusting, converting, and then in jpeg loading again to finish processing for printing. (edited to add) Also my computer is an older one, so it is slower, and I can't afford anything better right now.

You may do it differently, but that's my work flow, and it works very well for me.

Quote:
While switching between RAW and JPEG on the camera is quick and easy, so is doing that at a later date... unless you switched the camera to JPEG, and then you can never retrieve what is lost.

I just cringe at the idea of throwing away something useful.
You mean like the time I don't want to spend on converting 400 vacation shots from raw to jpeg? I agree totally. I don't want to throw that time away when what I do shortens my time downloading, and doesn't waste a lot of space on my computer.

Somehow I wonder if I would cringe if I opened your closets...

Edited here to change wording (I sounded a bit challenging and didn't mean to): I also wonder why it's hard to just accept what I say. It's just a different point of view from yours, and it works for me. I suggested it to the OP. You did the same. It's not something you have to win, or convince me of.
Old 04-29-2012   #57
Dromedary

Quote:
It's not something you have to win, or convince me of.
I live in a culture where old people share the benefits of experience with young people. The winner is the beneficiary.
Old 04-29-2012   #58
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 12368774

Quote:
I live in a culture where old people share the benefits of experience with young people. The winner is the beneficiary.
LOL I venture to say I'm one of the old people.
Old 04-29-2012   #59
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 497479

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionPhotograph View Post
Secondly, I would like to see some of your work. I noticed that you post allot of advice, comments, and critiques on others work but I have not had the pleasure to view yours.
Oh, another one of those. Use the search function here on the forum. That's what it was created for.

Korman
Old 04-29-2012   #60
Dromedary

Quote:
LOL I venture to say I'm one of the old people.
Well, young lady you seem to argue about anything! But old is relative of course, and to me old is when kids talking about Grandma and Grandpa... are taking about your children.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: