Jpeg or RAW? - Page 4
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012   #31
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Jpeg or RAW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by korman View Post
So please, don't call people stupid only because they operate differently than you and have different priorities than you.

Korman
That's right every body has his own workflow and every workflow is good for his kind of work, as long as he made a good choice for himself.
We can only ventilate our own opinion and respect the other Photographer.
Old 04-29-2012   #32
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 1544067
Editing OK?: No

And to be fair, that's all apaflo has done, voiced his opinion. Having read the whole debate with interest I cannot see the words where apaflo has called anyone stupid?
Old 04-29-2012   #33
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 497479
Editing OK?: Yes

Well denying that there might be a good reason for deviating from his opinion and that everyone doing so is clueless comes pretty close.

Korman
Old 04-29-2012   #34
RV

CamelKarma:

The saving time argument is BS, I shoot RAW on everything I photograph.
After I make all my edits in LR I do an export and convert to either jpeg, DNG, or Tiff depending on the project. The export does not take anymore than 10 mins for most shoots. So you cant tell me that you never have wasted 20 mins doing something unproductive before...YOU CANT BE THAT BUSY!!!

There is even an option on most cameras to shot bother RAW and a Jpeg.

Old 04-29-2012   #35
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 497479

It makes a big difference whether you waste 20 minutes because you feel like procrastinating (like I do at the moment answering here) or if those 20 minutes are drudgery to make a long working day even longer. If there's no benefit - and that's the crucial point here, raw have in lots of situations no benefits - all the additional work is wasted.

Sure, use raws if you benefit from the additional possibilities like many do. But don't make it a matter of religious faith and use jpg when they're more appropriate.

And just a small matter on the side, with some of the newer cameras even experienced people are sometimes hard pressed to produce with the raw converter jpg of the same quality as the internal engine in the camera. We aren't even talking about better results, just the same. For example Olympus and Fuji put lot of efforts into optimising their out of camera jpg conversion.

That was it for now from me, I need to get back to process the images from the last session to keep my part of the TfP.

Korman
Old 04-29-2012   #36
RV

CamelKarma:

Well continue on with what you do. I dont want you to waste anymore time spent here on these forums when you could rather be taking some jpegs with mediocre results. Ultimately your time argument is irrelevant unless you are a full time post processor who works 1000-5000 images per week. If your are that busy, then show us some of your work, a website, or something that validates your theory through experience.

Old 04-29-2012   #37
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7045525

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionPhotograph View Post
Well continue on with what you do. I dont want you to waste anymore time spent here on these forums when you could rather be taking some jpegs with mediocre results. Ultimately your time argument is irrelevant unless you are a full time post processor who works 1000-5000 images per week. If your are that busy, then show us some of your work, a website, or something that validates your theory through experience.
This seems like quite a turn from your statement in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionPhotograph View Post
When I see someone mention some one else work is crappy or unprofessional it just makes me think that for one, they have an ego that needs to be put in check and two, who are they to judge another work unless they are the paying party.

Pretty bold for some of those whom claim to be a professional.
Old 04-29-2012   #38
RV

CamelKarma:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemlin View Post
This seems like quite a turn from your statement in another thread.
First off I never mentioned anything about his work, we were talking about jpegs vs Raw image files and my opinions of the mediocre output of the jpeg files in comparison to the RAW format and it's attributes.

You can go ahead an take the context and misconstrue it if you will like. It has been an argument of technology preference and no one was being unprofessional except for you (IMO) to take an excerpt from another thread with a different topic and trying to infer something as to my character.

Keep the topic on point, leave out personal attacks as the point of thread was to debate Jpeg & RAW

Old 04-29-2012   #39
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 12368774

To the OP -
When I travel, I usually take tons of pictures and will only seriously process a small percentage of them. I dislike doing the raw to jpeg conversion on images that I know will not be printed bigger than a 4x6, if at all. So I shoot mostly in jpeg, and when I see something I know I will want to process well and print big, I switch to raw for that.
Old 04-29-2012   #40
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 27350891

Quote:
Originally Posted by korman View Post
Apaflo,

I'm not sure whether people are getting through to you: You see it only from an amateur's perspective where a little effort here and a little effort there doesn't matter. For those, using raw all the time is fine. It gives options which might come in handy.

But if you make your livelihood with photography, every minute saved is a minute either not on the job or a minute to make money otherwise. So if the client is satisfied with the quality delivered with jpg and you don't lose any options by not using raw, the additional time spent in saving raw, transferring twice the data of raws, the loading of each image in the viewer. the selecting and exporting to jpg, all this additional time is wasted effort on your part you could do something better with your life, be it by earning more money or having a beer in the bar.

And just to sum it up, here's a thread by someone using jpg for wedding photography: Who shoots JPG on Weddings?

So please, don't call people stupid only because they operate differently than you and have different priorities than you.

Korman
You are the only one to suggest anything is associated with being stupid. And you are wrong about that... as well as the rest of it too!

Just in case you missed the point, my perspective is a professional photographer's point of view with a much larger perspective than just photography. As I pointed out it is not a photography problem, but rather a computer networking problem. People who lack sufficient background (and that does not make them stupid as you have insinuated) with integrating computer/networking services into a business plan very often insist on restricting what can be done to what they know how to do.

Common examples are small businesses where the person who makes decisions chooses whatever computer/network model they've been using at home, even though it is precisely the wrong model. Of course small businesses rarely have the luxury of resources provided by a professional IT staff.

It is easy enough to demonstrate that with efficient computer processes there simply is no time difference between shooting RAW and shooting JPEG in the particular circumstance specified. But the problems that are encountered do have two possible mechanisms for a solution. One involves photography techniques/technology and the other involves computer techniques/technology. Photographers of course tend to work with what they know... and they do not necessarily implement the required efficient computer services.

In the long run though, the business that can effectively manage resources the best is the one that will come out on top. With proper use computers make business processes more efficient. That means either getting the same work done with less effort, or the same effort produces more work product.

A computer workflow that uses RAW files can be just as effective in terms of less work as one that uses only JPEG images. Where it shines though is in producing more work product. Better JPEG images are produces, and they can be tailored to more uses (the 2"x2-1/2" newspaper image is one, but the 16x20 framed print is also available).

Most newspapers have long been in the business of selling photography directly to customers by means other than the newspaper itself. The added work product from the use of RAW files is a revenue source.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: