Jpeg or RAW? - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012   #11
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 90102
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Jpeg or RAW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionPhotograph View Post
If your serious about your photography then use RAW
If you a point and shooter then use JPEG
Level of seriousness has nothing to do with shooting JPG or RAW, there are some very serious photographers out there and all they shoot is JPG.

There are, however, some very strong and compelling technical reason why NOT to shoot JPG.

- ~ 75% or more of all the initial data is lost

- generational losses if you save over a JPG file a few times, it drops in quality a little with each save

- ability to change WB is more difficult

- sharpening abilities are poor in comparison to sharpening a RAW file

- noise reduction... are VERY poor in comparison to reducing higher ISO noise with a RAW file

These are some of the more important reasons, but even then, not all reasons.

"...Bonum certamen certavi, cursum consumavi et fidem servavi..."
Old 04-25-2012   #12
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 14333
Editing OK?: No

I didnt read the whole thread but I personally shoot everything RAW. IMO opinion jpeg and RAW are night and day..

Room for fixing with a camera brain fart or sometimes you take just a shot where you didnt have time to set up on point settings to take the shot or you are learning.. you can still work with it in RAW form..still a great shot but needs that adjustment.. it happens to the best of us and a much more options for post production fun..
Old 04-26-2012   #13
RV

CamelKarma:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryph View Post
Level of seriousness has nothing to do with shooting JPG or RAW, there are some very serious photographers out there and all they shoot is JPG.
Seriously uninformed!

That statement should be followed with some supporting evidence. Otherwise is it just unsubstantiated banter with no factual foundation.

I really would like to know what serious photographers use JPEG instead of a RAW format exclusively!

Old 04-26-2012   #14
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 194894643
Editing OK?: Yes

Actually EVERYONE shoots RAW but they just don't know it. Those that decide to use jpeg are smply allowing the camera to do the processing for them. Shooting in raw format is a safe bet if you aren’t confident at getting the final image in-camera AND you enjoy spending processing time at your computer.

There are plenty of professionals who shoot jpeg too .

Raw or JPEG? Should You Capture Digital Photos In Raw or JPEG Format?

The Real Truth About JPEG images

Doubters may want to take the quiz.

Raw vs. JPEG: Which One is Right for You | oopoomoo
Old 04-26-2012   #15
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7045525

FYI - Eye-Fi uses significant battery power.
I'd leave it at home and upload the photos you want back at the hotel.
FWIW, I shoot small JPG when I'm on assignment for Brightroom - their orders. Otherwise I'm shooting RAW. 14 bit when speed doesn't matter.
Old 04-26-2012   #16
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 41830027

Quote:
Seriously uninformed!

That statement should be followed with some supporting evidence. Otherwise is it just unsubstantiated banter with no factual foundation.

I really would like to know what serious photographers use JPEG instead of a RAW format exclusively!
Most sports photographers, and I know a few, almost always use jpeg simply to get more images in burst mode. Also many of them would take several hundred shots during one event and more jpegs can be fitted into one card.
Old 04-26-2012   #17
RV

CamelKarma:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam View Post
Most sports photographers, and I know a few, almost always use jpeg simply to get more images in burst mode. Also many of them would take several hundred shots during one event and more jpegs can be fitted into one card.
That make absolutely non sense. Camera and Memory card are the major factor in how many images per sec you can take. File type toes play a part but not as significant as you have mentioned. When you say most sports photographers, Im assuming you are a sports photographer and know them all on a first name basis to actually make that statement.

As far as the number of images per card goes, yes you are correct. You can hold more low resolution images on cards of equal size and speeds. Your point does not make any sense to me. If you use raw, focus on quality and not quantity, and want an uncompressed or altered image, why not buy a card for your camera. RAW is the only way to go. More is less and less is more, you can always convert RAW files into jpeg, tiff, dng, or whatever. Also Jpegs are terrible for archiving

Old 04-26-2012   #18
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 194894643

Quote:
Makes sense to me Gautam.
Old 04-26-2012   #19
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 41830027

Quote:
That make absolutely non sense. Camera and Memory card are the major factor in how many images per sec you can take. File type toes play a part but not as significant as you have mentioned. When you say most sports photographers, Im assuming you are a sports photographer and know them all on a first name basis to actually make that statement.
It is not how many images per second, it is how many images can be taken in one burst I am talking about. I just looked into my camera manual. It says that for continuous shooting in Raw mode the maximum number of images I can take in one burst is 6 whereas in fine Jpeg mode it is 34. That would make a difference in action/sport photography.
Old 04-26-2012   #20
RV

CamelKarma:

Quote:
It is not how many images per second, it is how many images can be taken in one burst I am talking about. I just looked into my camera manual. It says that for continuous shooting in Raw mode the maximum number of images I can take in one burst is 6 whereas in fine Jpeg mode it is 34. That would make a difference in action/sport photography.
Ok, I was not thinking about the continuous feature but your card still needs to support a I/O speed to process the images or the cameras buffer will fill up and pause to process images. Not sure what type of camera body you have, but all cameras have different limitations..

Closed Thread

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: