PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > The Photographer > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012   #31
Dromedary

tomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 2684
Default Re: What is fine art

I see that folks are confusing commercial art, and fine art.

Commercial art is easy, it is done to make money (those Elvis paintings mentioned).

Fine art is harder to define. I usually consider it "good" or "valuable" art. It is mostly done to please the artist, although others may appreciate it also, rather than the public. (See, I told you I might have another definition on another day)

I still say "art" is produced by the intention of the artist. Your three year old with his finger paints is producing art because his intent is to make a nice picture. How good the art is, is where all those qualifiers come in.

To give an idea of where I am coming from; if I make a drawing to see if something I want to make is going to work, that is not art. But if I do a drawing to hang on the wall that is art, even though my mechanical drawings are far better quality than my sketches.

Of course that can get fuzzy, my doctor's office has a framed blue print of the Mackinaw bridge hanging on the wall, so apparently he, or his decorator, considers it art. And of course there is nothing that says an artist can now do mechanical drawing intending them to be art. Like I say, fuzzy.

I once had an artist friend say, "If it is a painting it is art, if it is framed it is fine art". So there is yet another definition.
Old 04-25-2012   #32
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Dromedary

apaflo strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorapaflo strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorapaflo strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorapaflo strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorapaflo strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorapaflo strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorapaflo strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorapaflo strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorapaflo strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorapaflo strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorapaflo strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 194182
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrit View Post
Fine art is harder to define. I usually consider it "good" or "valuable" art.
I just can't see that "good" or "valuable" has any connection the term "fine art". Some fine art works have virtually no value, and even the ones that do have great value are usually considered other than good by at least somebody. Look at all the comments on photography forums, including here, about Cindy Sherman and Andreas Gursky! Never mind some flake that is going to school working on a MFA degree...
apaflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012   #33
Vicuna

corlib is a name known to allcorlib is a name known to allcorlib is a name known to allcorlib is a name known to allcorlib is a name known to allcorlib is a name known to allcorlib is a name known to allcorlib is a name known to allcorlib is a name known to allcorlib is a name known to allcorlib is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 3141
Editing OK?: Ask first

Tom; I think you may have just threw in a new curve. The mechanical drawing may have been put in by a decorator. So is that just a decoration and another category to be considered?
Lens: Nikon 18-105mm 1:3.5-5.6 VR, 18-135mm 1:3.5-5.6, 55-200mm 1:4-5.6 VR, 28mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8, Tamron 18-270mm 1:3.5-6.3 VC, 28-80mm 3.5-5.6, 75-300mm 4-5.6, Macro 180-300mm, SP AF 2x Pro Teleconverter
Flash: SB-600, 2000DZ
The goal of life is not to arrive at the grave safely and well maintained; But rather to skid in head first, coming to a screeching stop shouting; Holy Sh*t, What A Ride!
corlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012   #34
Camel Breath

aam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoraam1234 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 807448
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrit View Post
I once had an artist friend say, "If it is a painting it is art, if it is framed it is fine art".
Very cool definition
Old 04-25-2012   #35
Guanaco

KA_Style has a brilliant futureKA_Style has a brilliant futureKA_Style has a brilliant futureKA_Style has a brilliant futureKA_Style has a brilliant futureKA_Style has a brilliant futureKA_Style has a brilliant futureKA_Style has a brilliant futureKA_Style has a brilliant futureKA_Style has a brilliant futureKA_Style has a brilliant future
CamelKarma: 14333
Editing OK?: No

"Fine art" can be anything IMO, its in the eye of the beholder..

As my F up trigger happy finger took this before I was focused playing with macro mode.. Now added to my "fine" art for sale collection. Total screw up but I love it. A little desaturation and grain and here we are.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_9454.jpg (28.3 KB, 50 views)
KA_Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #36
F1 Camel

stef@apl strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorstef@apl strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorstef@apl strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorstef@apl strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorstef@apl strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorstef@apl strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorstef@apl strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorstef@apl strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorstef@apl strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorstef@apl strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorstef@apl strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 677449

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA_Style View Post
As my F up trigger happy finger took this before I was focused playing with macro mode.. Now added to my "fine" art for sale collection. Total screw up but I love it. A little desaturation and grain and here we are.
I love it!

One out of focus picture is a mistake. 20 oof pictures is a style.

(someone on this board said that!)
stef@apl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #37
Guanaco

pellepiano strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpellepiano strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpellepiano strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpellepiano strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpellepiano strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpellepiano strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpellepiano strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpellepiano strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpellepiano strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpellepiano strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpellepiano strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 168680

My view is tha anything with the word art in it is misleading as it does not mean anything specific.

A painting, statue, or photograph are specific things most people know what they are.
But then some people want to elevate their work , to make it be more than just what it is, and then they can call it art. It does not change anything though, other than possibly , peoples perception of your work , before you show it to them.

If you only know you are going to an art exhibition, you have no idea what you are going to see. It could be photos, a goat with a tire around its neck or some early work of Rembrandt. So it would be better to say an exhibition with Leibowitz photos, Robert Rauschenberg work or Seurats impressionist paintings.

Excuse the strange english.
Old 04-26-2012   #38
Dromedary

apaflo strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorapaflo strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorapaflo strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorapaflo strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorapaflo strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorapaflo strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorapaflo strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorapaflo strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorapaflo strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorapaflo strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorapaflo strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 194182

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellepiano View Post
My view is tha anything with the word art in it is misleading as it does not mean anything specific.
It is true that it does not specify a specific object, but it does have a very specific meaning. And most of the comments here indicate a poor understanding of not just that meaning, but how a language works!

First, "art" and "fine art" are the same thing. There is no distinction. "Art" is just a short synonym for "fine art" when used to mean something is the product of human creativity.

What is confusing though is that the 'art' in "fine art" is not the same meaning as the term art used as a synonym for "fine art"! Which is to say the phrase "fine art" is not the adjective "fine" applied to "art". (I can't help it, my apologies for this: "Fine art" is not an artful turn of phrase, but rather a term of art.) It does not indicate one work is good enough, or fine enough, to be referenced with that term. All art is fine art.

Here's the context of the term "fine art". Unless used in this context, it is not correct usage!
  • mechanical arts,
  • industrial arts,
  • fine arts,
  • liberal arts,
  • black arts
Hence a bit of "fine art" is anything we would call a "work of art" in the sense that it is a product of human creativity. Specifically it is what relates to using imagination/taste/creativity to produce something of beauty. That is as opposed to something defined as a trade (the industrial arts) or things like the study/use of language, arithmetic, logic, science, history etc (the liberal arts), or the black arts defined as anything magic.
apaflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #39
Guanaco

KA_Style has a brilliant futureKA_Style has a brilliant futureKA_Style has a brilliant futureKA_Style has a brilliant futureKA_Style has a brilliant futureKA_Style has a brilliant futureKA_Style has a brilliant futureKA_Style has a brilliant futureKA_Style has a brilliant futureKA_Style has a brilliant futureKA_Style has a brilliant future
CamelKarma: 14333
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef@apl View Post
I love it!

One out of focus picture is a mistake. 20 oof pictures is a style.

(someone on this board said that!)
Thank you!

Ha ha right..a style!
KA_Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #40
F1 Camel

gryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1080249

This defines it perfectly.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > The Photographer > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: