First ammendment rights can be terminated. According to the cops it can
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 60523190
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default First ammendment rights can be terminated. According to the cops it can

News crew (reporter and videoagropher arrested). List to what the cops said that arrested them

Police Handcuff NBC Chicago Photojournalist | NBC Chicago

52 weeks completed "completed"
pete's-try-at-a-365 "Completed"
P & A Photos Flickr
P & A Photos Photobucket
I live in the Land of the Free because of the Brave!
PeteD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 12091131
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: First ammendment rights can be terminated. According to the cops it can

Quote:
"Your First Amendment rights can be terminated if you're creating a scene or whatever,"
I wonder if they'll send him back for re training?

Facebook
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________
Who was the first guy that looked at a cow and said, "I think that I'll drink whatever comes out of those things when I squeeze them"?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 60523190
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: First ammendment rights can be terminated. According to the cops it can

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post
I wonder if they'll send him back for re training?
LOL....Not sure.

And to be clear for everyone. It was a bad situation for sure. I can't even imagine what the family was going through. My thoughts go out to them.

With that said, I do not know what happened inside the hospital. But the reason they were arrested was for not doing what officer Ward was telling them to do. He was just PO'ed no one was obeying his commands. Which is becoming more and more the case with law enforcement. They were on public property when they were arrested. Not the hospital property.

52 weeks completed "completed"
pete's-try-at-a-365 "Completed"
P & A Photos Flickr
P & A Photos Photobucket
I live in the Land of the Free because of the Brave!
PeteD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 937083
Editing OK?: Ask First

I think the reporters did cross the line but the cops are dead wrong

BTW...My real name is Dori!

http://photocamel.com/forum/pets/
Mira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #5
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 783595

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteD View Post
But the reason they were arrested was for not doing what officer Ward was telling them to do. He was just PO'ed no one was obeying his commands. Which is becoming more and more the case with law enforcement. They were on public property when they were arrested. Not the hospital property.
I'm not sure if it's becoming more common, but it definitely is becoming more obvious when cops and security are violating the rights of photographers and media.

What's becoming much more common (seems to me) is the lack of knowledge of what is a right and what is not.

The best thing we can do is to not only help educate the ignorant, but also to assert those rights. Asserting is important so that people realize it's actually a right.
stef@apl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #6
Llama

CamelKarma: 455110

"terminate" my first amendment rights? Doesn't that take something like an act of Congress?

You can arrest me for a crime but I doubt you can terminate my rights!!
Old 03-22-2012   #7
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 227845

Those of you living in the US should read "Know Your Rights: Photographers" by the ACLU. There are more freedoms than most police know about or are willing to recognize, but there are limits.

Know Your Rights: Photographers | American Civil Liberties Union

Canon 7D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, Tamron SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, Tamron SP 90MM F/2.8 Di 1:1 Macro
Nissin Di866, Electra CLASSIC Plus studio strobes & modifiers
Sekonic L-358 Flash Meter, Yongnuo RF-602 Transmitters & Receivers
Dell 20" 2001F (1200x1800) IPS monitor, Samsung SyncMaster 23" F2380 (1920x1280) PVA monitor, Datacolor Spyder3Elite for monitor calibration
Sailor Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #8
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 56124

The ACLU always goes looking for a fight in this, our US of A! Don't know if they make the right choice, each and every time! But certainly, they don't back police actions, no matter how small!
However, the police have a job to do...and for the most part...they do it well! Yes...there are those incidents, and the subsequent complaints, and the YouTube videos show, that folks on public property can, and shall be allowed, to photograph private property! The actions of Congress get us all screwed up, when it comes to private citizens photographing "sensitive" subjects (which, it would appear, lately...that that includes government buildings, highways, etc!) If confronted...be cordial...but be sure of your rights! Be able to recite your rights! But not to the extent that you're arrested for "disorderly conduct"! There is a slight difference! So don't push it too far! Court costs, and your time, are valuable!
trapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012   #9
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 44269892

Police in London had arrested a person for taking pictures of a building because the security guard of the building thought he was a terrorist. The person was taking pictures standing on a public road. This sort of thing happens everywhere because some police officers think they have powers which they actually don't.
Old 03-23-2012   #10
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 9997

The cops on on edge because of the surge in gang violence in Chicago.

They should rent Robocop from Detroit, I hear he's good at dealing with gangs.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: