PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > The Photographer > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012   #11
Camel Breath

Steven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSteven G Webb strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 987485
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Kodak is going down

Sad to see companies like Kodak die. Inventors, innovators, creators ultimately successes who can't, don't or will not adapt to change can't survive. Miss guessing what may happen can spell the demise of a company too. The iron horse, and the horseless carriage both were thought to be simple novelties that would never last. Who knew? Bill Gates once dismissed the necessity for RAM above 640KB. He did change his mind (obviously) and Microsoft was pretty responsive. IBM got away from typewriters and key-punch and at least build computers and computerized business machines. Even though they sort of missed the importance of software.

Much as I hate it for the people who work for Kodak, if a company doesn't offer a product or service that has a demand, it doesn't have a chance. All professional photographers my be dinosaurs in the evolution of business. School children may read about a time in history when people made two dimensional images for money. The same as school children of my day read about the age of steam and the invention of something called the incandescent light bulb.

Steve

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #12
F1 Camel

Eero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEero Makela strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 8600280
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rense View Post
Actually:
In 1986 Kodak scientists invented the world's first (megapixel) sensor, capable of recording 1.4 million pixels and producing a photo-quality 57 inch print and
in 2003 Kodak introduced the Kodak EasyShare LS633 Digital Camera, the world's first digital camera to feature a full-color, active-matrix organic light-emitting diode display, and the Kodak EasyShare Printer Dock 6000, the world's first printer-and-camera dock combination.

However they never really had their heart on the project, they just wanted to continue old school film. I am not trying to bash Kodak, I used Kodakchrome 25-64 film for years and still have a few rolls hehe. It was my FAV film. 25 was the standard quality marker for all other films when comparing them. I use to be able to drop off a roll at the plant and pick it up the next day (I dropped it off at night deposit) quickest turn around in those days. The only Kodak product I never like was their photo paper (I used Ilford). I still have one of their test exposure pies for determining photo exposure in the darkroom.

I got to play with the OLED display camera it was actually very nice outdoors in full sunlight. I think Kodak actually created or were key player in the OLED display, I forget. I actually worked 2 months at Kodak and if not mistake it was 2003 November-December time frame.

Eero Makela is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #13
Photocamel Master

scoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 217440

I did a report on Kodak''s finances last semester (Fall 2011) and wasn't expecting Kodak to do this until 2013, when they had some $300 million in bonds coming due. To Rense's digital historical firsts, add 1975, when Kodak prototyped its first digital camera, which Kodak's web site reports as being "the size of a toaster" and having "10,000 pixels" in monochrome. This is most likely 100 x 100 pixels. I remember that digital processing back then was on 256 x 256 images, or at least that's what University of California, Davis was playing with in 1978 on a DEC PDP-11. (I don't remember what flavor, but I think it was a PDP-11/44.) The really major players were working with 512 x 512 pixel images then.

For what it's worth, Kodak hasn't sold any small-format still film cameras for the masses that a serious amateur might be interested in since the old Retina series. The first real camera that was truly mine was a Retinette 1A that I received as a gift in late 1964. At the same time, I also got my first light meter, a Sunset Unittic selenium cell device. Before then, I had a borrowed Tower TLR that took 123 exposures on 120 film. This camera had a 75 mm f/3.5 lens and no focus coupling between the viewfinder and the imaging lens. I still have the Retinette 1A camera but not the Tower or the meter.

Fast forward to the mid to late 1990s, when Kodak put its sensors and electronics into modified Nikon and Canon 35mm bodies and sold them as its DCS line of pro bodies. Also in the late 1990s, Kodak was selling its DC 2xx series cameras that had picture quality on par with the likes of the Nikon Coolpix 950 that I eventually selected, but whose operation was gawdawful slow. If I remember correctly, Kodak was up to the DC-260 at that time. Kodak also introduced the SLR/n and SLR/c cameras in 2003 and 2004, but they didn't do well in the marketplace. Kodak hasn't tried to introduce a dSLR since then. Kodak still makes several digital point-and-shoots, including a waterproof model, but I don't think they have anything in the "bridge" market either.

For what it's worth, I haven't gotten completely away from Kodak: I still have a packet of Kodak lens papers in my camera bag.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012   #14
Dromedary

Sketch has a reputation beyond reputeSketch has a reputation beyond reputeSketch has a reputation beyond reputeSketch has a reputation beyond reputeSketch has a reputation beyond reputeSketch has a reputation beyond reputeSketch has a reputation beyond reputeSketch has a reputation beyond reputeSketch has a reputation beyond reputeSketch has a reputation beyond reputeSketch has a reputation beyond repute
CamelKarma: 32018

Not sure what happens to large corporations when they file Chapter 11. I get the feeling they are not locking their doors.

Personally I gave up being sad last year when k14 (Kodachrome) processing stopped. I knew that was the beginning of the end.

The ol' black and yellow is now a model for what you should not do in business.

craigblankphoto.com
Sketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012   #15
Llama

mek42 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormek42 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormek42 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormek42 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormek42 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormek42 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormek42 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormek42 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormek42 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormek42 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormek42 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 432460

This is a chapter 11, not a chapter 7. This is the same thing that Chrysler and GM just did.
mek42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012   #16
F1 Camel

KikiD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKikiD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKikiD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKikiD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKikiD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKikiD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKikiD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKikiD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKikiD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKikiD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorKikiD strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 340536

Quote:
I did a report on Kodak''s finances last semester (Fall 2011) and wasn't expecting Kodak to do this until 2013, when they had some $300 million in bonds coming due.
In your report did you discuss any of the noteworthy patent lawsuits that have been filed by Kodak that could be worth billions. Like Samsung / Apple / HTC / Microsoft or Fuji ?? Not sure how this announcement will affect those suits but by allowing them to restructure will give them time to maybe turnaround as their patents are their most valuable assets. Hopefully they could pull a rabbit out of a hat for they have about 20,000 employees - plus I bought shares at the bottom & would like to see a little upward movement!! It's in the judges hand now ...
KikiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012   #17
Llama

mek42 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormek42 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormek42 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormek42 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormek42 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormek42 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormek42 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormek42 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormek42 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormek42 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armormek42 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 432460

If their bankruptcy is resolved prior to patent lawsuits and they do well in court they might just clean up nicely.
mek42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012   #18
A professional viewpoint.

Ed Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorEd Shapiro strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 4890061

Don't arrange a funeral for Kodak any time soon! The are not dead yet although they have been on death's door for a long time. Chapter 11, under US bankruptcy legislation, allows the company to remain in operation for at least for a year to see if things could be turned around. In Canada we call it going into receivership- that term may be valid in the US as well. Going into bankruptcy protection is kind of a stay of execution and gives business an opportunity to restructure under government, creditor or bank supervision. This is the way I understand it.

Look at General Motors- Last year the were on life support and the government pulled them out of an early grave with all those controversial loans that were all over the news. The latest news tonight is they have outsold all the other automakers and I think have already paid back all of their loans. Perhaps the Feds, The State of New York and the City of Rochester can get together and create a remedy what with the impending job losses and all the other ramifications that occur when a major corporation collapses. It happened up here in Canada when Nortel collapsed- there are thousands of employees that became jobless and without their upcoming pensions. There are all kinds of class actions lawsuits and a district right in my city is going to be devastated. The business community at large is suffering from the domino effect of such a financial disaster. Besides all of this, a criminal investigation has been launched against some of the higher-ups in the company and cooking the books and fraud are suspected.

Perhaps some new investment and new blood will come in and take over. Perhaps they will reenter the digital world with more gusto. To all their creditors they may be more valuable alive then dead. In serious bankruptcies, the preferred creditors get the bulk of whatever is left over and the smaller vendors may end up with 2 cents on the dollar of they are lucky. If the company survives, some of the billions of dollars in debt may get paid off. Their dept sounds like the GNP of a small country.

As a survivor from the film era I can predict that if they do go down, that event will hammer the last nail in the coffin of film photography.

It's sad but I have the feeling that many of Kodiak's policies and management techniques were very much behind the times although their products were always good. The really abandoned their professional markets eons ago. Even with all of this, I remain optimistic and would like to see the Great Yellowy Father in Rochester lift it's battered body out of the rubble and survive.

Ed
Ed Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012   #19
Photocamel Master

scoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 217440

Quote:
Originally Posted by KikiD View Post
In your report did you discuss any of the noteworthy patent lawsuits that have been filed by Kodak that could be worth billions. Like Samsung / Apple / HTC / Microsoft or Fuji ?? Not sure how this announcement will affect those suits but by allowing them to restructure will give them time to maybe turnaround as their patents are their most valuable assets. Hopefully they could pull a rabbit out of a hat for they have about 20,000 employees - plus I bought shares at the bottom & would like to see a little upward movement!! It's in the judges hand now ...
The information I was working with was current as of the beginning of 2011. At that time, Kodak had suits pending with Research in Motion and Apple, and vice versa. I don't remember anything about HTC, MIcrosoft, or Fuji. I did, however, do a crude comparison of Kodak's numbers with Fuji's for FY2010. A crude comparison with Fuji was all that was necessary because the figures were so dissimilar.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #20
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

Rense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorRense strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 6979310
Editing OK?: Yes

Look at this corporate Kodak video from 2006. They knew it was coming (albeit without themselves).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=JYW49bsiP4k#!

[5D][50D][20D][G10][EFS 10-22][Sigma 12-24][Sigma 15][EF 17-40][Sigma 20][TSE 24][EF 24-105][Tamron 28-75][EF 28-300][Sigma 30][EF 50;f/1.4][EF 50;f/1.8][MP-E65][EF 70-200 f/4][Sigma 70-200 f/2.8][EF 70-300DO][EF 85 f/1.8][Samyang 85mm f/1.4][EF80-200][EF 100 Macro][Sigma 105][EF 135 f/2.0][EF 135 f/2.8SF][Tamron 180mm macro][EF 200 f/2.8][Bigma][Tamron TC1.4x][580EX][420EX (2x)][M24EX][STE-2][for a complete list, click here http://www.raphoto.nl/Gear/index.html][CPS Europe member]
Rense is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > The Photographer > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: