PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2005   #1
Guanaco

dbphotos will become famous soon enough
CamelKarma: 97
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Kelvin Meter

Ok, I know you can use a gray card but it seems to me that there must be such a thing as a Kelvin Meter somewhere. I imagine it would work like a light meter or maybe it would be incorporated into a light meter.

Has anyone heard of a handheld Kelvin Meter for photographers? I think it would be much more exacting with certain shoots to take a Kelvin reading and then set the camera accrodingly.

| David Bailey Photography | Digital Racing Images | Grafix USA |

I have a camera...
dbphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #2
Dromedary

JohnC is just really niceJohnC is just really niceJohnC is just really niceJohnC is just really niceJohnC is just really niceJohnC is just really nice
CamelKarma: 574
Default Re: Kelvin Meter

I know that Minolta makes a color meter. I think that Gossen does, too. And wouldn't be surprised if Sekonic makes one, too. They are specialty meters, and don't usually combine with a regular light meter. Years ago there were two kinds one measured two colors the other (called a tri-stimulous) measured three and was all around better, especially for non-continuous light sources like mercury or sodium vapor lights).

John
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #3
Dromedary

JohnC is just really niceJohnC is just really niceJohnC is just really niceJohnC is just really niceJohnC is just really niceJohnC is just really nice
CamelKarma: 574

Found some listed on the B&H site at

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...arch&Q=&ci=904

John
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #4
Guanaco

Great! Thanks! I'll have to look at it a little further when I'm more awake. This could do what I want.

I'm thinking its perfect for sports when you go from daylight to night with stadium lights. Its much faster to take a reading and set your white balance on your camera to an exact kelvin rating.

I have a camera...
Old 08-22-2005   #5
Vicuna

DigitalPhotography is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 11

If you shot RAW, then you can save $ by processing the image accordingly, but then again if you factor in that your time is $ then may be the meter would be the cheaper alternative. Something to consider.
Old 08-22-2005   #6
Guanaco

Yeah, I know shooting in raw solves a big part of the question, but not all of it and like you said time is $. I don't shoot much in raw except in studio. All my sports and news that get uploaded to my agencies are all .jpg as speed is very important. If I have to convert all my images to .jpg before I upload them it could take hours to upload instead of minutes.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have a camera...
Old 08-27-2005   #7
Guanaco

bevilaquafoto is a name known to allbevilaquafoto is a name known to allbevilaquafoto is a name known to allbevilaquafoto is a name known to allbevilaquafoto is a name known to allbevilaquafoto is a name known to allbevilaquafoto is a name known to allbevilaquafoto is a name known to allbevilaquafoto is a name known to allbevilaquafoto is a name known to allbevilaquafoto is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 2683

I have used a color meter often when shooting film and in the studio. Primarily for fashion where balancing the color of the strobes, and matching the film, and the color of the clothes is extremely important. To pay $800 to $1000.00 for a color meter to balance digital images seems excessive. Clicking on the gray card in photoshop is faster and better.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: