PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010   #1
Camel Breath

JDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJDArt strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 2120221
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Your backup strategy for photos

I'd be interested to know what everyone's routine is for backing up photographs.

I'll kick things off by going over what I do currently.

All of my photos get backed up nightly to a Windows Home Server box (6 TB of storage, total), which also backs up my primary computers. The photos themselves are also replicated on another server. And then critical folders on the Windows Home Server box are also backed up either nightly or weekly. I have the entire collection also stored off site in the form of standard backups to external drives.

Old 07-06-2010   #2
Alpaca

RayR is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Your backup strategy for photos

I use Mozy which backs up in parallel to a remote server and to a local USB drive attached to my computer.

Even though I have Mozy remote it is much faster to restore using a local drive so If I am going to be away I store the external drive off the premises - office, friends etc.

Last edited by RayR; 07-07-2010 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: adding
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010   #3
gsk
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

gsk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgsk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgsk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgsk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgsk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgsk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgsk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgsk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgsk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgsk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgsk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 124499

Mine are backed up to a 1TB drive and an external 2 TB drive.
Old 07-07-2010   #4
Photocamel Master

ohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorohenry strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 3065646

Backups of RAW files to a separate hard drive. Backups of all photos, including the original RAW files, to a different separate hard drive.
Old 07-10-2010   #5
Dromedary

Jose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorJose strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 407545

In the field I download the cards to a 500 Gb Hyperdrive and then copy it to a 500 Gb WD Passport as back-up and carry them separately.

When I get home, copy either of the above to an internal hard drive and to an external one as an archive...all images bad and good ones. Then use the internal hard drive as the source of material and the images selected transferred to a working hard drive. The working hard drive is then backed-up/updated to another external hard drive regularly. Too much redundancy I know but storage is cheap.
Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010   #6
Llama

andrejan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorandrejan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorandrejan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorandrejan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorandrejan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorandrejan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorandrejan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorandrejan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorandrejan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorandrejan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorandrejan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 568629

I saw this on Chase Jarvis' blog site. He has an impressive backup strategy!
Complete Workflow, Storage & BackUp for Photography + Video | Chase Jarvis Blog

I'm not a professional, but I don't want to lose my precious photo's too, so my humble backup strategy:
- Time machine is making an hourly backup of my Macbook
- Once a week I'm synchronising all pics (RAW and edited) to a NAS server (RAID1) using rsync.
- Regularly ( but not regular enough) I make an extra backup on an encrypted external disk, which I keep offsite most of the time.

Andre
andrejan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010   #7
Guanaco

sirdaniel strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsirdaniel strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsirdaniel strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsirdaniel strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsirdaniel strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsirdaniel strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsirdaniel strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsirdaniel strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsirdaniel strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsirdaniel strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorsirdaniel strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 320126

My backup strategy is a three-tiered procedure similar to Andre's:

1. Hourly backups from my iMac via Time Machine to an Apple Time Capsule.

2. Weekly (or so) backups to an external hard drive via SuperDuper backup software.

3. Monthly (or so) backups of just the image files to another external hard drive.

dan
sirdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010   #8
Dromedary

tomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to alltomrit is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 2684

This subject gets posted again and again. Instead of reposting my replies to a previous one I will just suggest that anyone wanting information on this do a search on the subject.
Old 07-10-2010   #9
Dromedary

nolanr66 has a brilliant futurenolanr66 has a brilliant futurenolanr66 has a brilliant futurenolanr66 has a brilliant futurenolanr66 has a brilliant futurenolanr66 has a brilliant futurenolanr66 has a brilliant futurenolanr66 has a brilliant futurenolanr66 has a brilliant futurenolanr66 has a brilliant futurenolanr66 has a brilliant future
CamelKarma: 17045

Negatives/positives/prints are stored in the house along with family pictures and negatives dating back just over 100 yrs. Digital files/scans are stored on 2 separate external hard drives. Family pictures are always printed. Most of the time I shoot film and I save the hard copy of course. The files from my D200 are saved in the same manner without the negative obviously.
nolanr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010   #10
Llama

andrejan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorandrejan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorandrejan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorandrejan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorandrejan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorandrejan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorandrejan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorandrejan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorandrejan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorandrejan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorandrejan strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 568629

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrit View Post
This subject gets posted again and again. Instead of reposting my replies to a previous one I will just suggest that anyone wanting information on this do a search on the subject.
I guess the moderator won't mind this repost

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: