Peter Gowland 1916-2010
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2010   #1
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5188665
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Peter Gowland 1916-2010

Peter Gowland (born April 3, 1916 in Los Angeles, California, died. March 17, 2010) was a famous glamor photographer. He was the son of Gibson Gowland and Sylvia Andrew, both actors. He acted in at least 12 films, mostly uncredited. He had a small part in Citizen Kane.
He was also known for designing and building his own studio equipment. Gowland developed several large-format camera designs.

Peter was a friend, a teacher and a photographer of the highest caliber. I started reading his books as a teenager and met him when I was studying with Joseph Zeltsman. Joe had purchased 2 of Peter's famed Gowlandflexes and when Peter came to one of Joe's seminars, I had the pleasure of meeting up with Peter.

We communicated many times over the years and Peter was allways generous with his teachings. I think that even his earliest books are required reading for anyone who wishes to pursue a career in glamor or theatrical photographer.

Peter worked closely with his lovely wife Alice who assisted him on all his shoots and took care of the business end of things.

Peter was a fine guy, as honest as the day is long and allways ethical- his work was allways in good taste and he allways treated his models with the utmost respect and professionalism.

I seldom use my Gowlandflex now but it will allways remain in my camera room as a good workin camera an a fond memory of peter.

He allways inspired me.

My condolences to his family.

Ed

Ottawa, Canada
Ed Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 136021
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Peter Gowland 1916-2010

Yes, he was one of the greats.
Assorted old film gear.
And my trusty 45 year old Weston light meter.
Critiques and comments always welcome.
oldugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010   #3
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2684

Never, met Peter, but I knew of him, read his books, and lusted for his cameras and other studio gadgets. He will be missed.
Old 03-23-2010   #4
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 451

May he rest in peace and those who survive him remember the joy in having known him.

He was a credit to his art.
Mike_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010   #5
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 31066

Ed,

Thanks for the information. I admired Peterís work and will miss him.
Narsuitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010   #6
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1495882

In 1952 I was a young US Navy photog stationed in Long beach, Calif. aboard a Destroyer Tender.
I attended a photo exibition in L.A. and Peter had a display of his "glamour Girl" photo's as well as some of the lighting equipt he had developed.
I was pleased and honored to talk to him briefly and have since used him as a mentor and used his lighting setup as a guide.
At that time I was 20 and he was about 36, tall handsome, skinny and always smiling.
He as a son of a noted character actor in Hollywood had access to many of the "stars" as a people photographer as he grew up and developed his photo skills.
He certainly lived a full and glamorous life R.I.P.
Old 04-02-2010   #7
Llama

CamelKarma: 142968
Editing OK?: Ask first

A story on Peter can be found here:

Peter Gowland, Pinup Photographer and Author, Dies at 93 - Obituary (Obit) - NYTimes.com
mjp321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010   #8
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 254

I dno't own a Gowland Flex but I do own a couple books by Peter, some photos and a video, and have sat with him and Alice in their home that is in many of his images, that was their studio.
Wonderful People. Alice is Devastated, and I wish he were still alive, he went way to quickly.
He fell down, broke his hip and passed away in the hospital. The operation was too hard on his body for him. Hell he was almost 93.
The Gowlands and I...

sddarkman619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010   #9
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by sddarkman619 View Post
I dno't own a Gowland Flex but I do own a couple books by Peter, some photos and a video, and have sat with him and Alice in their home that is in many of his images, that was their studio.
Wonderful People. Alice is Devastated, and I wish he were still alive, he went way to quickly.
He fell down, broke his hip and passed away in the hospital. The operation was too hard on his body for him. Hell he was almost 93.
The Gowlands and I...

Here's a little write up I did on how I came to get my picture in their home studio...
sddarkman619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010   #10
Alpaca

Oh and one more thing, his website is here:
Peter Gowland Glamour Photography and Cameras

please take a moment and view his site and all his awesome history and family photos....

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: