PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Photo Illustration & Digital Art

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2007   #1
Lubbock, Tx.

Mark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 166941
Default Military Aircraft Art

I've been creating these Military themed aircraft images for a few years now.
Every one of them has won some sort of award at PPA Affiliated Print Competitions.

Here's my latest creation:
Return to the Hornet's Nest
(The name derived from the military designation for the F18 Super Hornet).

Aircraft carrier is the USS Lexington, a WWII carrier that's now a floating museum in Corpus Christi Texas.
I shot the carrier from the roof of the Radisson Hotel, about 7 stories up. Removed the beach and entrance ramp, added more ocean and wake.
The plane is actually a radio controlled model...the large VERY expensive type. (these have the most detail).
Sky was shot locally when a storm blew in.

The 16x20 lab print version came in yesterday.
I printed this on metallic paper, and I was blown away. Metallic paper has a irredescent look to it I just can't describe. Almost holographic.

It's first appearance will be at the New Mexico PPA Convention this Saturday for a non-affiliate judging, then on to TPPA Convention in early March for affiliate judging.

Old 02-02-2007   #2
Lubbock, Tx.

Mark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMark McCall strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
Default Re: Military Aircraft Art

Closer view of detail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Returntothehornetsnest7.jpg (118.5 KB, 449 views)
Old 02-02-2007   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

Mr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 3449259

Pretty cool. So you do have talent

I been on the Lexington. No I'm not that old. When I was in Corpus working for months, we waited for it to finally open, and it did. So we went. It is big. But them oil tanker dwarf it. Still hard to imagine.

The F-18 looks pretty cool to. All wrapped up into one story image is a neat presentation. Should appeal to a wider audience this way, which I am sure you figured on.

So us Camelians can get our own on metallic paper for about $20, right?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007   #4
Lubbock, Tx.

No talent here....
I just get lucky several times a day. LOL.

Your right Pickles.
As big as Lexi is, she's quite small compared to other carriers and tankers that regularly cross her bow headed to the unloading docks past the bridge.

If you've never printed anything on metallic, try it. It has a eerie irredescent look to it.
It reallly rocks if you have alot of warm tones in your image.
Old 02-02-2007   #5
Camel Breath

Jason Hermann is just really very very niceJason Hermann is just really very very niceJason Hermann is just really very very niceJason Hermann is just really very very niceJason Hermann is just really very very niceJason Hermann is just really very very niceJason Hermann is just really very very niceJason Hermann is just really very very niceJason Hermann is just really very very niceJason Hermann is just really very very niceJason Hermann is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 61045
Editing OK?: Yes

Really cool stuff Mark!! Is this Photoshop magic??

Jay

SonyAlphaLab.com
Now On Google+

Jason Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007   #6
Lubbock, Tx.

Jay,
It's a simple composite.

The airplane was actually sitting on the ground, gear down.
Posing as a magazine photographer, I got into the pit area of a model aircraft show, and photographed this bird from every angle and focal length imagineable.
The owner told me it costs $12,000.

You'd laugh if you saw the orginal image of the carrier. There's a bridge, buidings, people, all over the place.

Pickles,
Mpix has metallic paper option when ordering. I think a 16x20 is in the $20 range.
Old 02-03-2007   #7
Camel Breath

Jason Hermann is just really very very niceJason Hermann is just really very very niceJason Hermann is just really very very niceJason Hermann is just really very very niceJason Hermann is just really very very niceJason Hermann is just really very very niceJason Hermann is just really very very niceJason Hermann is just really very very niceJason Hermann is just really very very niceJason Hermann is just really very very niceJason Hermann is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 61045
Editing OK?: Yes

Mark,

Thanks for the info, and again really nce stuff!!

Jay

SonyAlphaLab.com
Now On Google+

Jason Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #8
Llama

TonyK has much to be proud ofTonyK has much to be proud ofTonyK has much to be proud ofTonyK has much to be proud ofTonyK has much to be proud ofTonyK has much to be proud ofTonyK has much to be proud ofTonyK has much to be proud ofTonyK has much to be proud ofTonyK has much to be proud ofTonyK has much to be proud of
CamelKarma: 12115

Mark,

Very neat. I may have to do that as I have some interests in such things.

While not as detailed or time consuming as your effort, here is something I did years ago with PhotoImpact no less. Being from Texas you might recognize it, especially if you have ever been to Los Colinas. Like you I had to remove LOTS of background material to get this to where I wanted. If I were to redo this I would remove the back 2 horses as they seem to detract from the overall image.

Enjoy,

TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #9
Lubbock, Tx.

Tony,
I recognize them...."The Mustangs of Las Colinas".
Cool job.

If you could render the background with painter or photoshop into a painting like image, then turn the whole thing black and white or sepia...I think you'll have something.
Old 02-05-2007   #10
Lubbock, Tx.

Update....
I'm writing from the New Mexico Professional Photograpers Assoc. Convention in Albuquerque.
This image scored an 85 in the PPA Affiliate Print Competition.
All 4 of my prints scored merit level. This image won the Judge's Choice Ribbon, and is up for "Best of out state entry" at the awards dinner tonight.
I'll keep you posted.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Photo Illustration & Digital Art »

Share this topic: