PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Pentax

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009   #1
Former Camel

spystyle is a splendid one to beholdspystyle is a splendid one to beholdspystyle is a splendid one to beholdspystyle is a splendid one to beholdspystyle is a splendid one to beholdspystyle is a splendid one to beholdspystyle is a splendid one to beholdspystyle is a splendid one to beholdspystyle is a splendid one to beholdspystyle is a splendid one to beholdspystyle is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 3200
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Any love for the Pentax K10D ?

I'm thinking of the Pentax K10D...

I love M42 lenses

I want to try Auto ISO

I want to try in body image stabilization

I like the word "Pentax"

Old 02-13-2009   #2
Guanaco

Ben_V is a splendid one to beholdBen_V is a splendid one to beholdBen_V is a splendid one to beholdBen_V is a splendid one to beholdBen_V is a splendid one to beholdBen_V is a splendid one to beholdBen_V is a splendid one to beholdBen_V is a splendid one to beholdBen_V is a splendid one to beholdBen_V is a splendid one to beholdBen_V is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 4462
Default Re: Any love for the Pentax K10D ?

The K10 is a very capable camera and using older lenses is a breeze. The Shake Reduction works nicely even with old M42 lenses. I never used Auto ISO, as the ISO setting is one of those parameters, I want to have full control, but ofcourse I can imagine situations, where it comes in handy. What I especially like about the K10 (and the K20, which sports some further improvements, well worth the addiotnal investment) is:
- the really big and bright viewfinder
- the very intuitive controls and easy to navigate menues
- compatibility to all older Pentax and thrid party lenses, with whatever variety of the K-mount
- the very reliable AF (though slower in continous mode, than CaNiOly)
- the very high quality fixed focal length lenses - they are just marvellous
- the build quality. There is no other camera in that price range, that is nearly as solidly build.

Ben
Ben_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009   #3
Former Camel

spystyle is a splendid one to beholdspystyle is a splendid one to beholdspystyle is a splendid one to beholdspystyle is a splendid one to beholdspystyle is a splendid one to beholdspystyle is a splendid one to beholdspystyle is a splendid one to beholdspystyle is a splendid one to beholdspystyle is a splendid one to beholdspystyle is a splendid one to beholdspystyle is a splendid one to behold

Excellent points Ben

It almost seems like an M42 lover's dream camera come true And the price is attainable

Very tempting!

Right now I have a Canon 10D for use with the manual lenses... but I am considering swapping it out for the K10D

I think this camera would be especially handy for budget telephoto - like the common 300/4.5 M42 lens on a body with image stabilization - great for shooting birds ... or surveillance?

Yes, the K10D has made my list of cameras to keep an eye out for, maybe I'll wait a while until the price comes down too. K10D and Leica have recently made my list

Have fun!
Craig
spystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009   #4
Dromedary

Normie1 is a splendid one to beholdNormie1 is a splendid one to beholdNormie1 is a splendid one to beholdNormie1 is a splendid one to beholdNormie1 is a splendid one to beholdNormie1 is a splendid one to beholdNormie1 is a splendid one to beholdNormie1 is a splendid one to beholdNormie1 is a splendid one to beholdNormie1 is a splendid one to beholdNormie1 is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 4591
Editing OK?: Ask first

The K10 is a great camera, I love mine and currently looking at the K20D. Maybe I will maybe not.................Who knows

A picture is worth a thousand words but it uses up three
thousand times the memory
Normie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009   #5
Dromedary

Normie1 is a splendid one to beholdNormie1 is a splendid one to beholdNormie1 is a splendid one to beholdNormie1 is a splendid one to beholdNormie1 is a splendid one to beholdNormie1 is a splendid one to beholdNormie1 is a splendid one to beholdNormie1 is a splendid one to beholdNormie1 is a splendid one to beholdNormie1 is a splendid one to beholdNormie1 is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 4591

there was a K10D on Craigslist a while back and the person wanted 300.00 for it with an 18-55. I called him and he had sold it, I ask him why and he told me it was to hard to use, only had 890 shots on it, what a good one to buy. OH WELL

A picture is worth a thousand words but it uses up three
thousand times the memory
Normie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009   #6
Former Camel

Oh I hate it when I miss a good deal
spystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009   #7
Alpaca

georgep is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 22

Love mine. I bought it because I had a Pentax film camera and was always happy with the quality for the camera and the lenses. I haven't changed my mind. The only snag is that those old Pentax lens have stopped being a bargin on eBay. Still, the range is fantastic and if you are going to take the trouble to use an adapter and shoot manually with M42 mounts, their are millions of opportunities. I try to stick with K-A mounts, because I am too lazy to play with the exposures.

Take the plunge - the Pentax water is fine,

George P.
georgep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009   #8
Llama

OzzyJim is a splendid one to beholdOzzyJim is a splendid one to beholdOzzyJim is a splendid one to beholdOzzyJim is a splendid one to beholdOzzyJim is a splendid one to beholdOzzyJim is a splendid one to beholdOzzyJim is a splendid one to beholdOzzyJim is a splendid one to beholdOzzyJim is a splendid one to beholdOzzyJim is a splendid one to beholdOzzyJim is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 6153

Love my k10D - Dropped it from 3 1/2 - 4ft ft onto hard road surface with a 28-80mm lens and circ polarizer. it bounced a few times sounding like a bucket of bolts, picked it up and kept shooting. The only ill effects were had to turn stabilisation back on and 2 small marks on the body!.

James
Pentax K-10D, K-5, Pentax 100-300 4.7-5.8, Sigma 10-20 4-5.6, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5, Sigma 28-80 2.8, Sigma 28-80 3.5-5.6 (kit lens), Sigma 105 2.8 Macro, Sigma 100-300 4.5-6.7 (kit lens), Makinon 500mm mirror, Sigma EF-500 DG Super flash, Manfrotto 410 Geared Head ......... In need of some newer faster glass!!!!
OzzyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009   #9
Guanaco

prometeus is a name known to allprometeus is a name known to allprometeus is a name known to allprometeus is a name known to allprometeus is a name known to allprometeus is a name known to allprometeus is a name known to allprometeus is a name known to allprometeus is a name known to allprometeus is a name known to allprometeus is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 2236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normie1 View Post
The K10 is a great camera, I love mine and currently looking at the K20D. Maybe I will maybe not.................Who knows
I would rather buy extra glass then a body....

And to spystyle I really do love my k10d
prometeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009   #10
Alpaca

jazzshots is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 22

I love my K10D but the 20 has some great features added, so I use that as my primary & K10D as my secondary. My only complipant is they only shoot 3fps and have some difficulty in low light situations.
But they are not hard to use.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Pentax »

Share this topic: