PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Pentax

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2007   #1
F1 Camel

Sidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorSidebyte strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1196923
Default Pentax K10D?

With all of the hullabaloo concerning the Pentax K10D before it was available I find it curious that there is almost no input regarding the camera by users? I see more posts even regarding the Sony? Is it the lack of lenses or maybe the acquisition by Hoya that seems to maybe minimize the popularity and reporting of the camera.

It looked so good on paper vs. its competitors in the same price range. The Olympus 410/510 is getting a lot of attention also......

Adolph Hitler
Sidebyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

Mr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 3904657
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Pentax K10D?

Maybe Pentax shooters shoot more and don't talk at all about their stuff? I don't know. Suppose to be a very good camera, but the lens options they have don't appeal to me, but I can see some that would love their line of lenses.
Mr. Pickles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007   #3
Vicuna

bogiesbad is a jewel in the roughbogiesbad is a jewel in the roughbogiesbad is a jewel in the rough
CamelKarma: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidebyte View Post
With all of the hullabaloo concerning the Pentax K10D before it was available I find it curious that there is almost no input regarding the camera by users? I see more posts even regarding the Sony? Is it the lack of lenses or maybe the acquisition by Hoya that seems to maybe minimize the popularity and reporting of the camera.

It looked so good on paper vs. its competitors in the same price range. The Olympus 410/510 is getting a lot of attention also......
Greetings from a new member,
Please forgive my abundant ignorance I am making the move from point-&-shoot to DSLR.
I just bought the K10D and eagerly await delivery. I bought this camera for a few reasons: Price...@ $800 w/lens (and 2-day shpg) I could afford this
Construction...70 some-odd seals; claimed weather resistance
Lenses...I understood the shake reduction incorporated into the sensor allowed
the use of non-IS lenses (unlike Canon)...I assumed all Pentax mount
lenses would work (some with adaptors) per manufacturers claims
I would appreciate any input on my decision and once I get my hands on the camera I will post my uninformed review
chris
bogiesbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007   #4
Camel Breath

Mr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor

The K10D sounds by all accounts like a fine tool. I wouldn't send it immediately back because people don't post about it.

Keep in mind that weather resistance doesn't mean "under water capable".

As for the in-body IS, which is becoming popular from those other than Canon or Nikon (IS in the lens is "better", especially for longer lenses, but does cost), it should work with ALL the current Pentax lenses, but may NOT work with older ones, with or without an adapter. The reason is the electronics between the lens and body. If the camera isn't allowed to tell what the focal length of the lens is, it can't compensate for camera shake. So, naturally, manual lenses won't work with IS.

Still, it isn't a Pentax limitation. It is the same with the new Olympus and others.

So open the package when it comes, read the manual (ha), and take some shots with an open mind. And post your examples here. I'm sure you'll get some good info to back up what you think of your new piece of equipment.

Enjoy...
Old 07-01-2007   #5
Vicuna

bogiesbad is a jewel in the roughbogiesbad is a jewel in the roughbogiesbad is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Mr. Pickles,
I made use of the search and found a thread which reinforces my decision. I learned at an early age with a Pentax Asahi (?spl) given to me by my dad. I've been drooling over the pro-sumer DSLR's for several years but I'm happy Pentax entered the market at a time I could afford one...very excited
bogiesbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007   #6
Camel Breath

And Pentax "pancake" prime lenses are pretty neat and a lot of others would like their camera brand to do the same.
Old 07-02-2007   #7
Llama

tcom has a brilliant futuretcom has a brilliant futuretcom has a brilliant futuretcom has a brilliant futuretcom has a brilliant futuretcom has a brilliant futuretcom has a brilliant futuretcom has a brilliant futuretcom has a brilliant futuretcom has a brilliant futuretcom has a brilliant future
CamelKarma: 13925

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles View Post
As for the in-body IS, which is becoming popular from those other than Canon or Nikon (IS in the lens is "better", especially for longer lenses, but does cost), it should work with ALL the current Pentax lenses, but may NOT work with older ones, with or without an adapter. The reason is the electronics between the lens and body. If the camera isn't allowed to tell what the focal length of the lens is, it can't compensate for camera shake. So, naturally, manual lenses won't work with IS.
While it is true that the body needs to know the focal length of the lens for in camera SR (shake reduction as Pentax names it) to work, the K10D (or K100D) displays an additional menu when switched on with a lens not reporting the focal length. The menu lets the user select manually the focal length. So SR even works with old M42 lenses.

I have used SR with 30-35 years old M42 lenses without any problem.

International Press Association
http://ipaimpress.com/author/dominique/

Pentax: K-5, 645D
Nikon: D4

http://www.pbase.com/tcom
tcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007   #8
Llama

tcom has a brilliant futuretcom has a brilliant futuretcom has a brilliant futuretcom has a brilliant futuretcom has a brilliant futuretcom has a brilliant futuretcom has a brilliant futuretcom has a brilliant futuretcom has a brilliant futuretcom has a brilliant futuretcom has a brilliant future
CamelKarma: 13925

I am using a K10D and I am very happy with it. The body performs really well. The user interface is in my opinion very well designed. A lot of functions are available directly on the body without having to go into the menu, and with the latest firmware upgrade, you can even press the ok button and change iso setting with one of the control wheel. I find it great.

I have posted the one or other photo taken with this DSLR. Some full size samples are under K10D Photo Gallery by Dominique Schreckling at pbase.com.

On my last holidays, I have done a three weeks trip through the Egyptian desert, going from oasis to oasis. I was careful about sand, but the weather sealing of the body did a great job. I have some photos of the trip under Egypt 2007 Photo Gallery by Dominique Schreckling at pbase.com.

As for the lenses, it is true that the lens line up is not on par with Canon or Nikon. But Pentax recognized it and is working hard on extending the range. Apart from that, you can still use lenses from third party manufacturer. I am using a Sigma 17-70, a Tokina 80-400 ATXII and just added a Voigtlander 125/2.5 APO Lanthar macro lens without any problem.

I have also a lot of photos taken with either K10 or K100 on Around Lake Constance Photo Gallery by Dominique Schreckling at pbase.com

Hope I could help.

International Press Association
http://ipaimpress.com/author/dominique/

Pentax: K-5, 645D
Nikon: D4

http://www.pbase.com/tcom
tcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007   #9
Alpaca

TankSlapper is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 39

I have the K10D and am very happy with it (I am a relative newb to DSLRs, so take my opinion for what it is worth).

I chose it over the Nikon and Canon of similar cost because of the build quality, seals, in body IS, and the layout of the controls. It also has some neat shooting modes (like aperature priority).

I knew I would be worse off as far as fast auto focus, but the new lenses that are rumored to be coming in the near future should do better. In good light I think it is on par with the other brands (of similar price point, of course). It seems to be not as good in low light.

You can see some of my shots here:
Pentax K10D Photo Page
Sea Otter Classic 2007 - Sunday

There doesn't seem to be too many "Pentaxians" on this board. I do see a lot of discussion on some other forums.
TankSlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007   #10
Vicuna

Very nice photos tcom and tankslapper...

I just got my hands on the K10D and I'm quite impressed....but somewhat dismayed as I will need some time to even begin to use it's features correctly. I am also concerned about feeling something shifting inside the camera when it is tuned on end and back again. It is very slight but I can definitely feel movement...do any of you owners feel the same thing...I hope.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Pentax »

Share this topic: