My favorite lens keeps changing!
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Pentax

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2017   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 750031
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: No
Default My favorite lens keeps changing!

Just when I think I've decided which lens is my most favorite, suddenly I change my mind!

Currently, it's my Pentax DA 18-135mm. Not long before that, it was my Sigma 70-300mm Macro. I still have several "favorites, but I'd be hard-pressed to single any one of them out as my "Most Favorite."

I've still got a Pentax DA 18-250mm that I've yet to put through it's paces. I'm going to put it on one of my K-30 bodies and leave it there and force myself to take it along on some of my occasional excursions. I've shot a few test shots and they all look good.... nice and sharp, although it starts to fall off a little at the far end.

I've got some nice older Pentax glass that will pretty much hold their own against just about any of the newer lenses. Some of the "F" and "FA" series lenses are absolutely remarkable!

But, at least I can say I've culled out all the "less-than-acceptable" paper weights I've had for far too long!

Dewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 596039
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: My favorite lens keeps changing!

i have a few old pentax lenses (asahi pentax takumar) and only 2 lens stand out, the takumar 58 1.4 and the 400mm f5.6.. both in m42 mount..

what i am looking for is the SMC 16mm fish-eye but not in a hurry to buy one since it is hard to find and currently very expensive.
post whatever is in your mind no matter how unbearable it is to others, no matter if they are in authority, or a forum bully or simply a sour troll. In the end you can't please everyone and may annoy some but that is what a forum should be, an open discussion complete with trolls all over.
moodless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017   #3
Guanaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodless View Post
i have a few old pentax lenses (asahi pentax takumar) and only 2 lens stand out, the takumar 58 1.4 and the 400mm f5.6.. both in m42 mount..

what i am looking for is the SMC 16mm fish-eye but not in a hurry to buy one since it is hard to find and currently very expensive.

I think my favorite manual focus Pentax lens is my Pentax-M 100mm f:2.8. So very sharp and that famous, solid-as-a-rock quality of build that those older Pentax lenses had.
Old 08-17-2017   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 31066
Editing OK?: Ask First

My favorite Pentax lens, the Takumar 8-element 50mm f/1.4, has been the same since the early 1970s. I liked that lens so much that for decades, it prevented me from buying a 50mm for my Nikon.

Pentax by Narsuitus, on Flickr
Narsuitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017   #5
Guanaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narsuitus View Post
My favorite Pentax lens, the Takumar 8-element 50mm f/1.4, has been the same since the early 1970s. I liked that lens so much that for decades, it prevented me from buying a 50mm for my Nikon.

Pentax by Narsuitus, on Flickr

That lens has long been one of the all-time favorite Pentax (Takumar) lenses and with good reason. I have my original Pentax-M 50mm f:1.4 that I bought with my Spotmatic back in the late 60's when I was in Vietnam. We stopped off in Hong Kong for some R&R and I bought the camera and three lenses. They all served me well for several decades, before the advent of the digital world.
Old 08-17-2017   #6
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1411293
Editing OK?: Ask First

Why do you need to pick only one favorite? No one piece of equipment can do everything. I have favorites for different applications.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Pentax »

Share this topic: