PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Pentax

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012   #1
Llama

craftysnapper strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcraftysnapper strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcraftysnapper strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcraftysnapper strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcraftysnapper strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcraftysnapper strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcraftysnapper strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcraftysnapper strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcraftysnapper strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcraftysnapper strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorcraftysnapper strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 3981402
Editing OK?: Yes
Default What A Disappointment

What a disappointment the new Pentax mirror-less K-mount DSLR is, strange shape and no evf veiwfinder, the later makes it as useful as a chocolate teapot for me.

One day I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography
https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk_photography/
craftysnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012   #2
Llama

pabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 3618834
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: What A Disappointment

I don't have a problem with how it looks or is shaped. I don't think it looks bad at all, in fact. However, like you, the lack of OVF or EVF makes it a no go with me. However, I suspect that I am not in the target market for this camera. I'll just wait and see what new DSLRs get released to replace the K-r and K-5.

Since I have a K-5 that is less than a year old, I'm really not in the market for any new camera at this point in time.

Al
pabyar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012   #3
Vicuna

bogiesbad is a jewel in the roughbogiesbad is a jewel in the roughbogiesbad is a jewel in the rough
CamelKarma: 297

I will reserve judgement until the reviews and samples are out. Mirrorless with the K-5 sensor, improved video capabilities, stereo mic input, HD out, H264. I see this as a new branch in the Pentax direction targeted at the P&S upgraders as well as video enthusiasts.
I'm not turned off by the looks either. The important side looks fine to me.
bogiesbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012   #4
Photocamel Master

Dirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 810509
Editing OK?: Ask First

personally i am not yet a big fan of mirrorless deigns yet , but i also find that in a dslr how small or big a viewfinder is handy because LV ain't always perfect ..
Old 02-25-2012   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

wolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 161570676

I am not sure this camera is for me but its nice to know if I ever bought a K01 it would take all my Pentax glass.
Old 03-06-2012   #6
Vicuna

Satanta has a spectacular aura aboutSatanta has a spectacular aura about
CamelKarma: 150
Editing OK?: Ask first

I could never go with a non-evf or non optic viewfinder and use a screen-only.

Too many places where the Sunlight/desert reflected ground light/snow reflected light and so on would make it impossible to use.

I could tape a hood or a trash bag over my head and the camera to block all that out but that would look just plain stupid.
Old 03-07-2012   #7
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

wolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 161570676

The K01 is certainly not for everyone.

There is quite an interesting hands on review of this new camera here. Some features are favorable others are not.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/news/pen...-hands-on.html
Old 03-07-2012   #8
Guanaco

Ben_V is a splendid one to beholdBen_V is a splendid one to beholdBen_V is a splendid one to beholdBen_V is a splendid one to beholdBen_V is a splendid one to beholdBen_V is a splendid one to beholdBen_V is a splendid one to beholdBen_V is a splendid one to beholdBen_V is a splendid one to beholdBen_V is a splendid one to beholdBen_V is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 4462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
personally i am not yet a big fan of mirrorless deigns yet , but i also find that in a dslr how small or big a viewfinder is handy because LV ain't always perfect ..
Not only that. Have you ever tried to hold a long lens steady, when holding the camera with stretched out arms? Such a camera might be a step up for compact camera users, but in my opinion Pentax currently branches out into so many directions, that I cannot see where they are heading.
I find this deeply disappointing up to the point, that I would consider switching to Nikon if my existing Pentax DSLRs have to be replaced and despite my 40+ lenses in the cupboard. For the time being I will at least not invest anymore in Pentax gear, as they have nothing to offer, which is of any interest to me. Perhaps the new 560/5.6 (or whatever) is a good addition to the poor lens line-up...

Ben
Ben_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #9
Seawolf66

No OVF not for me ,
Old 03-09-2012   #10
Photocamel Master

Dirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 810509
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_V View Post
Not only that. Have you ever tried to hold a long lens steady, when holding the camera with stretched out arms? Such a camera might be a step up for compact camera users, but in my opinion Pentax currently branches out into so many directions, that I cannot see where they are heading.
I find this deeply disappointing up to the point, that I would consider switching to Nikon if my existing Pentax DSLRs have to be replaced and despite my 40+ lenses in the cupboard. For the time being I will at least not invest anymore in Pentax gear, as they have nothing to offer, which is of any interest to me. Perhaps the new 560/5.6 (or whatever) is a good addition to the poor lens line-up...

Ben
yes ben, i do not succeed holding a camera with a long lens stable with stretched arms , i need a kind os stableliser that is strong enough to withstand my shaking hands (small handicap)

i agree they should focus on lesser products and make 2 oustanding ones instead of 5 nice ones

Dirk is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Pentax »

Share this topic: