PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Pentax

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011   #11
Llama

pabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 3710293
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: K5 or not K5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
I understand why you have upgraded Al. My questions are simple to get the poster to think...

Personally i do not understand pentax some times , the K5 is newer than the K7 as you told me (thanks for that) . it is hard to keep track , with nikon it is pretty simple , the smaller the number the better it is (at least for the most cameras)

what we should not want is people ending up with something they do not need really just want
Your questions just got me thinking and I posted those thoughts. So you succeeded in getting someone to think

The Pentax model naming/numbering is quite an enigma. Started with an *istD, then DS, DL, DL2 (I may have missed something) then they went to the 1xx numbering with the K10D, K100D, K110D, K100D Super. They then followed with the 2xxx series (K2000D, K200D abn K20D) and it looked like they had and understandable system. The more zeros the lower the model and room above for a higher model. Obviously, the next generation would be the K3xxx series, but no, they release the K-7 and K-x. Now back to a 2 model lineup. Then out with the K-r and K5. What's next? The K-y and the K9?

Sometimes we just need to have something that we want

Al
pabyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #12
Photocamel Master

Dirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 810509
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabyar View Post
Your questions just got me thinking and I posted those thoughts. So you succeeded in getting someone to think

The Pentax model naming/numbering is quite an enigma. Started with an *istD, then DS, DL, DL2 (I may have missed something) then they went to the 1xx numbering with the K10D, K100D, K110D, K100D Super. They then followed with the 2xxx series (K2000D, K200D abn K20D) and it looked like they had and understandable system. The more zeros the lower the model and room above for a higher model. Obviously, the next generation would be the K3xxx series, but no, they release the K-7 and K-x. Now back to a 2 model lineup. Then out with the K-r and K5. What's next? The K-y and the K9?

Sometimes we just need to have something that we want

Al
Thanks for the line up. Good to know this.

Dirk
Old 10-04-2011   #13
Vicuna

Djayvo will become famous soon enough
CamelKarma: 71

I might hold off for that K9. It should have a little golden dog stamped on it.
Djayvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011   #14
Llama

pabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 3710293
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
Thanks for the line up. Good to know this.

Dirk
I did a little searching to see if I missed anything in the DSLR model lineup and found this list:

* Pentax *ist D (2003)
* Pentax *ist DS (2004)
* Pentax *ist DL (2005) also sold by Samsung as GX-1L
* Pentax *ist DS2 (2005) also sold by Samsung as GX-1S
* Pentax *ist DL2 (2006)
* Pentax K100D (2006)
* Pentax K110D (2006)
* Pentax K10D (2006) also sold by Samsung as Samsung GX-10
* Pentax K100D Super (2007)
* Pentax K20D (200 also sold by Samsung as Samsung GX-20
* Pentax K200D (200
* Pentax K-m (200 also sold as Pentax K2000D in North America
* Pentax K-7 (2009)
* Pentax K-x (2009)
* Pentax K-r (2010)
* Pentax K5 (2010)

I had missed the *istDS2 and the K-m (although it was the same camera as the K2000D). Definitely an ill-conceived and somewhat random model numbering scheme.

BTW, I bought into Pentax DSLRs in with the *istDL, just after it was released in August 2005. That was after 25 years with Pentax film cameras.

Al
pabyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011   #15
Photocamel Master

Dirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor

good to know al, i sended you some k for this info

cheers mate and happy tasting of the k..
Old 10-11-2011   #16
Alpaca

tabl10s is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 10

My first SLR was the ME Super. I was 18 and didn't know anything cameras, but surmised tit must be great because:

1) it was smaller than the AE-1

2)It had push buttons

3)It had 18 LED's

When the LX came out, I vowed to get one...actually two while stationed in Japan. I waited through all the garbage and baby cameras the company put before I purchased the '5 and will get the new Top-of-Line if it ever appears. If it's not substantially better, I won't need it
tabl10s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #17
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

wolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 164722739
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djayvo View Post
I might hold off for that K9. It should have a little golden dog stamped on it.
Likewise on the K-y. It sounds a bit greasy.

I have had my K7 for about a year now. Bought it at a great discount after the K5 came out. There have been numerous complaints about the K7 particularly in the low light performance area. It does everything I need. Why am I mentioning the K7? Simply because you may find one at a much better price than a K5.
Old 10-11-2011   #18
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfd View Post
Likewise on the K-y. It sounds a bit greasy.

I have had my K7 for about a year now. Bought it at a great discount after the K5 came out. There have been numerous complaints about the K7 particularly in the low light performance area. It does everything I need. Why am I mentioning the K7? Simply because you may find one at a much better price than a K5.

and newer doesn't have to be better too. i have seen the fisheye photo and quite frankly i do not get it why there should be a upgrade .

noise can be removed and you can always buy faster lenses .
personally i seldom shoot at low light situations and even then the results are acceptable . At my k10d i use 640 iso if i have too but like wolfd said it does a lot i like and need

no camera is perfect in everything , that is one of the reasons to have so much gear
Old 10-12-2011   #19
Guanaco

Ben_V is a splendid one to beholdBen_V is a splendid one to beholdBen_V is a splendid one to beholdBen_V is a splendid one to beholdBen_V is a splendid one to beholdBen_V is a splendid one to beholdBen_V is a splendid one to beholdBen_V is a splendid one to beholdBen_V is a splendid one to beholdBen_V is a splendid one to beholdBen_V is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 4462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djayvo View Post
Well it’s about time to upgrade my K200 D. I am looking at the K5 but on the Pentax forum this camera seems to have taken a lot of criticism. So do I wait for the next K? to come out. I can’t figure out why so many problems when the revues give it a very high rating. I have been thinking of going Canon but it’s the lenses that keep me coming back to Pentax. So I’m looking at you, K5 owners for some input. My K200 has given me no problem and I don’t want to jump into a disappointment.
I cannot really see, that there is a lot of criticism about the K5 on Pentaxforums. It is usual that people post complaints and not praises in forums. But I must say, that the number of praises is significant. And then it is the first Pentax ever that even convinced the German CaNikon fan press as having the fastest and best AF system!

As I have a K10 and a K20 I choose the K-r as a more recent addition, because it sports the new AF-system and is great at high ISO settings and is small and light weight (compared to the other cameras with grips). If I hadn't the K20, I wold surely have bought the K5, as it is a great step forward for Pentax and sure for yourself, compared to the K200.

Ben
Ben_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011   #20
Vicuna

Djayvo will become famous soon enough
CamelKarma: 71

I have decided to wait tell spring to buy my camera. My K200 will do me through the winter months, Pentax may have a new camera in the works and great deals on the K5 may have start. The main reason is looking at starting a new business and my money will be going into that. So I look at it as a delay but may be a win win delay.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Pentax »

Share this topic: