PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
PhotoCamel Directory Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Pentax Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2007   #11
Alpaca

TankSlapper is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 39
Default Re: Pentax K10D?

bogiesbad: The movement you feel is normal on these cameras.... This was a reply from Pentax regarding the "klunking" (from another forum)

Dear Sir/Madam,

That noise is the anti-shake reduction sensor inside. So you have
nothing to worry about.

Thank you for contacting Pentax.

Good luck and post up some pics when you can!

Old 07-05-2007   #12
Vicuna

bogiesbad is a jewel in the roughbogiesbad is a jewel in the roughbogiesbad is a jewel in the rough
CamelKarma: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankSlapper View Post
bogiesbad: The movement you feel is normal on these cameras.... This was a reply from Pentax regarding the "klunking" (from another forum)

Dear Sir/Madam,

That noise is the anti-shake reduction sensor inside. So you have
nothing to worry about.

Thank you for contacting Pentax.

Good luck and post up some pics when you can!
Thanks TankSlapper,
I am very much relieved. I used it last night for the first time (other than a few test shots) at the local fourth of July fireworks display and got some wonderful shots...thanks to the search engine and Mr. Pickles, and others. I will post some here this evening...I am quite anxious to get some criticism.
chris
bogiesbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007   #13
Vicuna

bogiesbad is a jewel in the roughbogiesbad is a jewel in the roughbogiesbad is a jewel in the rough
CamelKarma: 297

I really need to work on my photo management skills...here's a few:

I wish I had shot from a higher perspective to add more reflections...
bogiesbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007   #14
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

Mr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorMr. Pickles strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1960952

Looks like the camera works well to me.
Mr. Pickles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #15
Guanaco

nighthunter is a glorious beacon of lightnighthunter is a glorious beacon of lightnighthunter is a glorious beacon of lightnighthunter is a glorious beacon of lightnighthunter is a glorious beacon of lightnighthunter is a glorious beacon of lightnighthunter is a glorious beacon of lightnighthunter is a glorious beacon of lightnighthunter is a glorious beacon of lightnighthunter is a glorious beacon of light
CamelKarma: 1497
Editing OK?: No

I love mine

Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Lens

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G

Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM
nighthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007   #16
Alpaca

djarvis is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 10

I've had my K10D for about 6 months now, after first having a Canon Digital Rebel. It is definitely not as easy a camera to use, but I love it. Has much more capability, and I like the built in image stabilization and weather sealing, since I am by nature too lazy to lug a tripod.

As to the learning curve, Pentax built this camera to be more appealing to advanced film users, I have read. It definitely catches what you see - if pics indoors with tungsten lights, for example, then they will have a tungsten yellow tinge with the Auto White Balance. That being said, when in a hurry I just put it on P or the Green box setting, and point and shoot with good results generally.

But it is the settings that give it power. I love the easy adjustments of the TAv mode (shutterspeed and aperture) along with ISO at the same time, all by programming the dials to do what you want, so no buttons or menus needed for ISO adjustment. Also, the shooting speed is very quick, and with JPEGs on a fast card, unlimited. (I use SandDisk Extreme III, and shooting JPEGs, can't shoot faster than the files copy.)

The only downside of my K10D is that the fill-flash quit working already. After shooting outside all day long on a drive across southern Wisconsin, I took it back to the camera shop I got it at, and they took care of sending it back under the 1 year warranty. Now I am in withdrawal, waiting for it to come back.... but already about 1300 pics to go through and convert from DNGs to keep me busy.

All-in-all, very happy with it. Haven't posted to a forum yet because until I sent it in for the repair, I didn't have time for this kind of thing!
djarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007   #17
Llama

tcom has a brilliant futuretcom has a brilliant futuretcom has a brilliant futuretcom has a brilliant futuretcom has a brilliant futuretcom has a brilliant futuretcom has a brilliant futuretcom has a brilliant futuretcom has a brilliant futuretcom has a brilliant futuretcom has a brilliant future
CamelKarma: 13925

In case interested, I have added a new gallery with the photos of my recent trip in South Africa, all photos done with K10D. The camera worked very well, had not any problem under rain nor in the dusty Kalahari desert.

The photos are here: South Africa Photo Gallery by Dominique Schreckling at pbase.com

International Press Association
http://ipaimpress.com/author/dominique/

Pentax: K-5, 645D
Nikon: D4

http://www.pbase.com/tcom
tcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007   #18
Alpaca

hk_rebel is on a distinguished road

I just picked one up for $750.00 out the door. So far I'm fairly impressed with it.
hk_rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007   #19
Alpaca

DigiFilm is on a distinguished road
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcom View Post
In case interested, I have added a new gallery with the photos of my recent trip in South Africa, all photos done with K10D. The camera worked very well, had not any problem under rain nor in the dusty Kalahari desert.

The photos are here: South Africa Photo Gallery by Dominique Schreckling at pbase.com
Sir, those are wonderful!

I have a K10D as well and very happy with it although like another poster, haven't had as much opportunity as I'd like to use it. When our weather turns cooler I'm hopeing to get much more use out of it. I was originally saving for a D200, but decided on the K10D instead. The only issue I have with it right now is there is no B&W shooting mode, only an in-camera conversion.
DigiFilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007   #20
Alpaca

brady38 is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 17

I have found the Pentax K10D and K100 to handle RAW images better than either Canon or Nikon. Even though I currently do not own either brand, but have in the past, a number of my friends have taken the identical photo at the same settings, processed the pictures in Lightroom the same, and the conclusion is the amount of control you get from the Pentax photos is much greater with more latatude. Another strong point for Pentax is the amount of quality build, attention to detail, in-body stablization, and weather sealing all at a price point untouched by anyone at this time. Pentax's only shortcoming currently is long lens, but as you can see, I took care of that with Sigma, which I am extremely happy with. I would be more the happy to have anyone look at my gallery and then comment on what you see, good or bad.

brady38 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Pentax Forum »

Share this topic: