PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Pentax Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011   #1
Vicuna

Djayvo will become famous soon enough
CamelKarma: 71
Default K5 or not K5

Well itís about time to upgrade my K200 D. I am looking at the K5 but on the Pentax forum this camera seems to have taken a lot of criticism. So do I wait for the next K? to come out. I canít figure out why so many problems when the revues give it a very high rating. I have been thinking of going Canon but itís the lenses that keep me coming back to Pentax. So Iím looking at you, K5 owners for some input. My K200 has given me no problem and I donít want to jump into a disappointment.

Old 10-02-2011   #2
F1 Camel

korman strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkorman strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkorman strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkorman strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkorman strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkorman strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkorman strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkorman strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkorman strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkorman strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkorman strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 497479
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: K5 or not K5

Why the hurry to upgrade now? Is it just toy-envy or isn't the K200D up to the level of photography your doing any more?

Korman
korman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #3
Llama

pabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 3618707
Editing OK?: No

I upgraded this year from my trusty old K100D Super that was approaching 40,000 shutter actuations and went with the K-5. I think that many of the issues are somewhat overblown. It seems like every random failure gets a separate post and everyone then rehashes every problem that ever affected the K-5. There are probably as many complaints related to the Nikon D7000.

I have had my K-5 since early March and it's been trouble free. However, the time may come where I experience a problem and I'll just send it in for service and not make a big deal out of it.

All-in-all, the K-5 is the best camera I've ever owned over the last 30 years. So, if you feel like it's time for an upgrade, go for the K-5 and enjoy it. Otherwise, stick with the K200D and it's 10mp sensor until the next model is released.

Al
pabyar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #4
Vicuna

I would like to get into something a little faster and more MP. OK,OK, the K200 still meets my needs toy-envy plays 70% of my wants. Still be nice to upgrade and raise the bar a little in ones pictures.
Djayvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

Location: Parker, AZ for 1/2 the year and Sekiu, WA the other 1/2
amycramer strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoramycramer strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoramycramer strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoramycramer strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoramycramer strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoramycramer strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoramycramer strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoramycramer strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoramycramer strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoramycramer strides over the forum like a knight in shining armoramycramer strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 2243768
Editing OK?: Yes

I love my K-5, got it last year for Christmas.
Corel Paintshop Pro X4
365: http://photocamel.com/forum/365-proj...try-365-a.html
52: http://photocamel.com/forum/52-proje...ml#post1769135
amycramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #6
Photocamel Master

Dirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 810509
Editing OK?: Ask first

well time for my ussual questions (answer them truthfully)

1) do you swear that you have used 100% of what the K200D gan give you?

2) do you believe in the tale that more MP is better then less MP?

3) what are the things a k200D can't do what you WANT ?

4) isn't it perhaps so that the NEED for a new camera is LESSER than the WANT for a new Camera?

Do you have pictures of the proof that the K200D is ready to be sold second hand or thrown away like a piece of old junk?

Do you swear that it AIN'T YOU that is the limiting factor ?

i am happy with my gear and most people will have to answer this to my honest questions

1) Uh no .. there are still modes or functions to be used

2) More ain't always better , it only is larger , wich add up the cost of saving larger files (sooner need a new hard drive and a bigger one). you also need a bigger monitor to be able to view your files in 100% (that will cost a small fortune) and you 'old' pc or laptop has to be replaced because it propbably can't handle such large files. and do not forget more noise because the sensor ain't getting bigger and pixels are cramped into each other

3) i think that the k200d is more than capeable of doing almost anything you want or need

4) i think it is a "want' here that isn't really justified in rough times like these .

but that is what most people here would have to answer i am waiting on your answers here
Old 10-03-2011   #7
Llama

pabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorpabyar strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 3618707
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
well time for my ussual questions (answer them truthfully)

1) do you swear that you have used 100% of what the K200D gan give you?

2) do you believe in the tale that more MP is better then less MP?

3) what are the things a k200D can't do what you WANT ?

4) isn't it perhaps so that the NEED for a new camera is LESSER than the WANT for a new Camera?

Do you have pictures of the proof that the K200D is ready to be sold second hand or thrown away like a piece of old junk?

Do you swear that it AIN'T YOU that is the limiting factor ?

i am happy with my gear and most people will have to answer this to my honest questions

1) Uh no .. there are still modes or functions to be used

2) More ain't always better , it only is larger , wich add up the cost of saving larger files (sooner need a new hard drive and a bigger one). you also need a bigger monitor to be able to view your files in 100% (that will cost a small fortune) and you 'old' pc or laptop has to be replaced because it probably can't handle such large files. and do not forget more noise because the sensor ain't getting bigger and pixels are cramped into each other

3) i think that the k200d is more than capable of doing almost anything you want or need

4) i think it is a "want' here that isn't really justified in rough times like these .

but that is what most people here would have to answer i am waiting on your answers here
Interesting set of questions, Dirk. I would have to agree with your typical answers as it applied to my upgrade from the DL to the K100D Super. The K100DS used the same sensor, but had several features that I WANTED rather than needed. I wanted the in-body SR, the selectable focus points and the ability to use SDM/HSM lenses. I did, in fact use all of those features and was happy with my decision, although I could have gotten by without them.

My upgrade from the K100DS to the K-5 hit more needs in your list. I needed better high ISO performance and faster/more accurate AF. I like to print big, so the higher pixel count was a blessing, if not a need. I had pretty much knew and used all of the K100DS features and after 40,000 actuations and skipping several generations of bodies, I felt that I needed to upgrade. As far as features that the K-5 has over the K100DS, they are too numerous to mention.

OTOH, had I not been in a position to afford the upgrade, could I have continued along with mu K100DS, Of course I could. Now that I've used the K-5 for 7 months would I want to go back? Definitely not.

Al
pabyar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #8
Photocamel Master

Dirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabyar View Post
Interesting set of questions, Dirk. I would have to agree with your typical answers as it applied to my upgrade from the DL to the K100D Super. The K100DS used the same sensor, but had several features that I WANTED rather than needed. I wanted the in-body SR, the selectable focus points and the ability to use SDM/HSM lenses. I did, in fact use all of those features and was happy with my decision, although I could have gotten by without them.

My upgrade from the K100DS to the K-5 hit more needs in your list. I needed better high ISO performance and faster/more accurate AF. I like to print big, so the higher pixel count was a blessing, if not a need. I had pretty much knew and used all of the K100DS features and after 40,000 actuations and skipping several generations of bodies, I felt that I needed to upgrade. As far as features that the K-5 has over the K100DS, they are too numerous to mention.

OTOH, had I not been in a position to afford the upgrade, could I have continued along with mu K100DS, Of course I could. Now that I've used the K-5 for 7 months would I want to go back? Definitely not.

Al
I understand why you have upgraded Al. My questions are simple to get the poster to think , shure i do not need so manny camera's but if nescessairy i could sell some if i need the money. Shure when you can upgrade a newer model is nice to have , and the reasons you mentioned are legit .

Personally i do not understand pentax some times , the K5 is newer than the K7 as you told me (thanks for that) . it is hard to keep track , with nikon it is pretty simple , the smaller the number the better it is (at least for the most cameras)

the last time i upgraded i had the famous Nikon d70. but in a lot of pictures i needed to crop and was left with a too small image (in size and pixels) to get a still sharp looking image. furthermore i needed a camera that had extra options so i went for the D80 . (after some excellent advise from Joe Doe (i prommissed not to give his real name) to skip the D3000 / D5000 and D90.

what we should not want is people ending up with something they do not need really just want
Old 10-04-2011   #9
Vicuna

Don't get me wrong, I'll always have the k200d and it will be used for those risky pics ( canoe and some wilderness shots). I am still happy with the shoots like the 10-17 thread pic I just uploaded. However something inside tells me I'd be a little happier with the K-5 or next k? model to add more zest to some of my pics and lenses. I wish there was a way to try it for the day and see how my lenses do with this camera.
Djayvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #10
Photocamel Master

well you can rent lenses so maybe you can rent a body too .
Perhaps a great idea to find out in practice if you get the zest you want / need

Dirk is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Pentax Forum »

Share this topic: