The same Mount?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Other Cameras and Lenses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 1941137
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default The same Mount?

Got a question... is the Leica M mount the same as an M42 mount? Leicas are a bit above my affordablitiy point, but in checking things out, I keep seeing these 2 lens mounts.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 194894643
Default Re: The same Mount?

No.
The M42 mount is the once popular mount for Pentax SLR cameras (and a few others). More info here:

Screw Mount (M42) Cameras

The M39 mount was common to the Leica Rangefinder cameras. More info here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M39_lens_mount
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 31066
Editing OK?: Ask First

I use M bayonet-mount lenses on my Leica rangefinder. These lenses are expensive, well made, and produce high quality images.

I use Pentax and Fuji M42 screw-mount lenses on my Pentax and Fuji 35mm SLR cameras. These lenses are reasonably priced, well made, and capable of producing high quality images. Their main disadvantage is that changing lenses is slower than bayonet lenses.

Why are you considering buying one of these lenses?

M42 Screw-Mount by Narsuitus, on Flickr
Narsuitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 596039
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfd View Post
No.
The M42 mount is the once popular mount for Pentax SLR cameras (and a few others). More info here:

Screw Mount (M42) Cameras

The M39 mount was common to the Leica Rangefinder cameras. More info here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M39_lens_mount
just a correction..

M42 mount is a screw mount lens most common on asahi/pentax cameras of yesteryears. m42 refers primarily to 42 being the diameter of the thread mount but with a 1 inch pitch..it has identical thread diameter as the T-mount but the thread pithc is different so it wont fit perfectly.

M39 however is 39mm diameter or sometime referred to as LTM or Leica Thread Mount. this is also screw mount but the diameter is smaller so you will need an additional ltm to m42 adapter to fit an M39 lens to a M42 camera body. some old russian lenses as well as canon cameras are using m39 mount lenses.

lastly a Leica M-mount is altogether a different mount. i believe it is bayonet mount. predominantly used by leica although i know a few minolta CLE bodies also use the M-mount.. i do have the adapter for sony e-mount but i don't own any M-mount lens..

I almost forgot, there is also a leica r-mount..
post whatever is in your mind no matter how unbearable it is to others, no matter if they are in authority, or a forum bully or simply a sour troll. In the end you can't please everyone and may annoy some but that is what a forum should be, an open discussion complete with trolls all over.
moodless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 194894643

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodless View Post
just a correction..

M42 mount is a screw mount lens most common on asahi/pentax cameras of yesteryears. m42 refers primarily to 42 being the diameter of the thread mount but with a 1 inch pitch..it has identical thread diameter as the T-mount but the thread pithc is different so it wont fit perfectly.

M39 however is 39mm diameter or sometime referred to as LTM or Leica Thread Mount. this is also screw mount but the diameter is smaller so you will need an additional ltm to m42 adapter to fit an M39 lens to a M42 camera body. some old russian lenses as well as canon cameras are using m39 mount lenses.

lastly a Leica M-mount is altogether a different mount. i believe it is bayonet mount. predominantly used by leica although i know a few minolta CLE bodies also use the M-mount.. i do have the adapter for sony e-mount but i don't own any M-mount lens..

I almost forgot, there is also a leica r-mount..
What is it that you are 'correcting' ?
Did you read the not insignificant amount of information at the two links I provided?
The two links I provided clearly indicate that the M42 is a Pentax screw mount and the M39 is a Leica mount.
The respective explanations are quite detailed and should leave very little doubt in anyone's mind that the two mounts are very different indeed.
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
Vicuna

double post.. site is too slow?
post whatever is in your mind no matter how unbearable it is to others, no matter if they are in authority, or a forum bully or simply a sour troll. In the end you can't please everyone and may annoy some but that is what a forum should be, an open discussion complete with trolls all over.
Old 1 Week Ago   #7
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfd View Post
What is it that you are 'correcting' ?
Did you read the not insignificant amount of information at the two links I provided?
The two links I provided clearly indicate that the M42 is a Pentax screw mount and the M39 is a Leica mount.
The respective explanations are quite detailed and should leave very little doubt in anyone's mind that the two mounts are very different indeed.
Sorry wolfd, was sleepy and very tired when i posted it so i guess it should not be a correction.. also i never read links that are too detailed so never even bothered to open it, my apologies for that.

anyway the original post was asking about m42 mount as compared to m-mount (not m39 mount), i think that was i was trying to correct.

i am glad however that you corrected me and gave what i consider an honest opinion rather than the normal "great job", "amazing", "nice" comments i see on most post relating to posted photographs on this forum.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Other Cameras and Lenses »

Share this topic: