Yashica digiFilm - Comeback
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Other Cameras and Lenses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6964085
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Post Yashica digiFilm - Comeback

Seems like a gimmick, but really, maybe not. Interesting idea, not for all, but fun for a lot, but stupid for some too. A camera that uses an SD card to record the images, yet needs "digiFilm"... what? DigiFilm, yeah, it actually is the "smarts" cartridge that holds the data on how the camera is setup, like the ISO and color. So to swap from ISO 200 color to a Black & White image taking camera, you open the back, swap the digiFilm cartridge, and wind it up and shoot. Interesting. And not that expensive at $125 to $200 US. But, it doesn't get here to April 2018, if it meets its KickStarter goal, which it has already. Might just replace my Olympus Pen-F for "fun"....

YASHICA, Japanese Camera Brand since 1949, with almost 70 years experience in camera and optics development.

After being silent for more than 10 years, we wake up with the unexpected.

We are so proud to introduce the Unprecedented YASHICA Y35 Camera with the new system – digiFilm.

Specifications
1/3.2-inch CMOS sensor
14 megapixel photos
Built-in viewfinder
Apertures of f2.8
Focal Length 35mm
A minimum focusing distance of 1m (~3 feet) to infinity
5 selectable steps shutter speeds 1s, 1/30s, 1/60s, 1/250s, 1/500s
SD card storage (wifi card compatible)
Micro USB connectivity for data transfers
Tripod mount ready
Operate with 2 x AA batteries
Image controlled by digiFilm™

Dimensions:
Body Only: 100 x 64 x 28 (WxHxD) mm
With lens and switch: 110 x 70 x 55 (WxHxD) mm

Worth a look at the link below, and to see the images and the video....
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...era-by-yashica

Idiot Savant AND trouble-maker...

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 677837
Default Re: Yashica digiFilm - Comeback

A lot od soap, blather and snake oil, but no explanation of just what digi-film is? How do you process it, how do you even view it? ....and the fixed aperture idea sucks in my opinion.
Didereaux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
Llama

CamelKarma: 540024

A wild guess is the "digifilm" is filter/effect software to mimic whatever style film you want to use. Basically for people who don't know or want to learn how to post process. Similar to the filter apps for phones.
Gregw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #4
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregw View Post
A wild guess is the "digifilm" is filter/effect software to mimic whatever style film you want to use. Basically for people who don't know or want to learn how to post process. Similar to the filter apps for phones.
In other words they are putting small processor chips in those cartridges. I can see that. Wouldn't want to fool with it, but as you say for the complete neophyte it might now be bad....they can pretend to be cranking film and impress their friends! LOL
Old 1 Week Ago   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6964085

Yeah, the digiFilm as I read it is basically the "filter" or "custom preset" used by the camera. Similar to setting some of todays cameras in some "art" mode and have the camera create the image it sees based on the settings in its art filter thing. The difference here is that you swap out the digiFilm to change the settings instead of turning dials or menu item presses to select a different one.

Like I said, not a camera for everyone, and probably 50% of the people that read and look at the Yashica will be more argumentative about it than intrigued. if you have the right digiFilm in it, it might be easier than using the smart phone and reworking that smart phone image a bit in an app...might not.

The Yashica appears to be fixed in many ways, which makes it simple and easy for a lot of people, like smart phone users, or it is a pain in the backside for others that have and love all the dials and buttons and menu items on their camera, half of which never really get used probably.

For those types who buy a $1000 plus DSLR or mirrorless, have a kit lens on it, only write JPG files, and leave it in auto mode... this might be a lot cheaper and better idea...

But the Yashica doesn't say it is just JPG, but I'd assume so. Doesn't have a flash or ability to use one I think. Doesn't particularly say that it can't shoot in something other than f/2.8, but implies that. Doesn't appear to be great, but doesn't appear like a real toy either. But, that depends on who is reading and looking, because, it will appear that way to a lot of folks....

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles View Post
Yeah, the digiFilm as I read it is basically the "filter" or "custom preset" used by the camera. Similar to setting some of todays cameras in some "art" mode and have the camera create the image it sees based on the settings in its art filter thing. The difference here is that you swap out the digiFilm to change the settings instead of turning dials or menu item presses to select a different one.

For those types who buy a $1000 plus DSLR or mirrorless, have a kit lens on it, only write JPG files, and leave it in auto mode... this might be a lot cheaper and better idea...

I think you nailed the targeted group!
Old 1 Week Ago   #7
Llama

CamelKarma: 128611
Editing OK?: Yes

I would be more interested in a digital 35mm cartridge, then I would buy another K-1000!!! For that matter, an ME-Super too! (God I loved those cameras!!!)

Andrew

My albums at photocamel:
http://photocamel.com/gallery/u69945-shutterklick.html
ShutterKlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #8
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1411293

From a marketing standpoint, that ship has sailed and I don't expect it to come back. See Nikon Mirrorless post #31 for more on why I think so.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #9
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 514993
Editing OK?: Yes

`

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728 View Post
From a marketing standpoint, that ship has
sailed and I don't expect it to come back.

Amen. Not only did that ship sail loooong ago, but
everybody travels by air now [analogy, not joke].

`

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Other Cameras and Lenses »

Share this topic: