Tamron? Sigma?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Other Cameras and Lenses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2016   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 27704
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Tamron? Sigma?

Question:
Sigma 70-200 2.8 vs Tamron

I've researched online for a few days. (and this forum as well) General consensus is that the Tamron is a bit sharper, but the Sigma is more durable and has a bit less vignetting, and seems to focus a tad faster. This seems to be the "average opinion", as there are videos and opinion articles all over the place.

My purpose is "semi-professional", meaning I am getting my photog biz started much of which is portrait oriented and senior high.

I need a better 200 than the kit lens, but definitely do not have the cost of a new or used Nikon/Nikkor.

My question is if anyone has any direct experience with either or both of these lenses, and your opinion on each/both. I don't think that they are terribly far apart in capabilities, and I'm inclined to go for sharper (Tamron), but would like some first hand information if possible.

Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Old 6 Days Ago   #2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 901196
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Tamron? Sigma?

i have both brands , tamron is in my view sharper but sigma is good too .the lenses of tamron and sigma are good , and give enough to please your choice

older tamron and sigma may have issues with the latest gear from nikon
Old 8 Minutes Ago   #3
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 561814
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Tamron? Sigma?

`

@MDWINE:

If I've read the OP correctly, you've done your research
and have decided that a marginal increase in sharpness
is worth an increase in vignetting and a decrease in lens
sturdiness.

Assuming your research is solid, your logic is NOT. IOW,
I could hire you as a researcher, but not as an advisor.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Other Cameras and Lenses »

Share this topic: