PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Other Cameras and Lenses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011   #1
Vicuna

stanycjw has a spectacular aura aboutstanycjw has a spectacular aura about
CamelKarma: 160
Editing OK?: No
Default Tamron 200-500 or Sigma 150-500mm (Help)

Hi all my senior our there, need some feedback will be appreciated.

I own a Nikon D90 and I have a Nikor 70-300mm VR ED lens for birding today but I feel it a little short sometimes and wanted to have an upgrade to a 500mm focal length.
Therefore, I have been looking around and Sigma and Tamron has been selected so far but before I make a buy, I need some feedback from you guys that own these lens.

The Tamron 200.0-500.0 mm f/5.0-6.0 indeed a very sharp lens even with a D90.
The weight is only 1237gm compare to SIGMA 150.0-500 mm is 1910gm

(Tamron 200 -500mm) photos
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vaibhavgarge/5499575288/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vaibhavgarge/5582340712/

(Sigma 150 - 500mm) photo
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4635563...57622349215128

I have a concern for Tamron without VC and will it post a blurr image when hand held ?
and which one do you prefer ? Tamron or Sigma ( Image guess is the same except focal length of 50mm different and dont think is a big deal.

Thanks very much.
Peter Rom

Old 04-10-2011   #2
Alpaca

ajking is a jewel in the roughajking is a jewel in the roughajking is a jewel in the roughajking is a jewel in the rough
CamelKarma: 329
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Tamron 200-500 or Sigma 150-500mm (Help)

Hi Peter, I purchased the Sigma 150-500mm to beef up my D700 (like you, I have Nikor 70-300mm but felt I wanted the extra 200mm) and so far I am pleased with it. The weight, for me, is not a real issue as I am in a wheelchair and I have the lens mounted on a monopod that's slotted onto my footplate.
I don't think that any long focal length lens should be handheld if it can be helped as camera shake cannot always be eliminated, even by VR, the clue is in the initials i.e. Vibration Reduction not Vibration Elimination.
regards

Alan
ajking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011   #3
Photocamel Master

Dirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 810509
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajking View Post
Hi Peter, I purchased the Sigma 150-500mm to beef up my D700 (like you, I have Nikor 70-300mm but felt I wanted the extra 200mm) and so far I am pleased with it. The weight, for me, is not a real issue as I am in a wheelchair and I have the lens mounted on a monopod that's slotted onto my footplate.
I don't think that any long focal length lens should be handheld if it can be helped as camera shake cannot always be eliminated, even by VR, the clue is in the initials i.e. Vibration Reduction not Vibration Elimination.
regards

Alan
hi Peter and Alan

i do have the same nikon 70-300 af-s ed vr like you.
at this moment i do not yet experience it to be short but certailnly can understand others do.

indeed vr is a help not a total solution
keeping it stable at 300mm isn't easy and that is where the vr has the hardest work

a monopod or tripod can help.

for what it is worth i would not want a lens that long without vc or os.
not even when they through in a monopod to put the lens stable and click the body on to the lens

but that is how i look into things
Old 04-10-2011   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
F1 Camel

Brian H strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrian H strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrian H strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrian H strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrian H strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrian H strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrian H strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrian H strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrian H strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrian H strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrian H strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 2683374

The Sigma is a killer lens. The Tamron tends to be very soft at many focal lengths. As far as Im concerned the Sigma is twice the lens. IT is heavier Im wondering if you could clamp a tripod gimble head to wheelchair arm..............

SONY A99 A580 and A55
........Carl Zeiss 16-80mm, .Sigma 50-500mm (bigma) f4, Minolta 50mm f1.7, Minolta 35-70 F4 Macro. Minolta 28-85mm F3.5 Macro. tons of studio lights and modifiers 9 full frame
Brian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011   #5
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
hi Peter and Alan

at this moment i do not yet experience it to be short but certailnly can understand others do.

keeping it stable at 300mm isn't easy and that is where the vr has the hardest work

not even when they through in a monopod to put the lens stable and click the body on to the lens

DIrk,
Thanks for response and got your point is that you will preferred a lens with VC or OS to have an add on stabllity.
stanycjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011   #6
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitobeach View Post
The Sigma is a killer lens. The Tamron tends to be very soft at many focal lengths. As far as Im concerned the Sigma is twice the lens. IT is heavier Im wondering if you could clamp a tripod gimble head to wheelchair arm..............
Thanks Chitobeach
Ok.. you have experience the softness on the Tamron lens 200-500mm, so you suggest a Sigma is the better choice. Thanks.
stanycjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011   #7
Alpaca

ajking is a jewel in the roughajking is a jewel in the roughajking is a jewel in the roughajking is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
hi Peter and Alan

Hi Chitobeach, I tried clamps but the main problem is that when I wanted to 'wheel on' the clamps and camera got in the way. By using the monopod I can lean it back and use a velcro belt to hold the equipment against me. as usual with disability 'where there's a will there's a way' (Sorry for going slightly off topic)

"Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans" John Lennon 1940-1980

Nikon D700, Nikkor 24-120mm VR, Nikkor 70-300mm VR, Nikkor 60mm Micro, Sigma 150-500mm
Old 04-11-2011   #8
Alpaca

Hi Chitobeach, I tried clamps but the main problem is that when I wanted to 'wheel on' the clamps and camera got in the way. By using the monopod I can lean it back and use a velcro belt to hold the equipment against me. as usual with disability 'where there's a will there's a way' (Sorry for going slightly off topic)

"Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans" John Lennon 1940-1980

Nikon D700, Nikkor 24-120mm VR, Nikkor 70-300mm VR, Nikkor 60mm Micro, Sigma 150-500mm

Last edited by ajking; 04-11-2011 at 05:06 AM.. Reason: wrong quote
Old 04-11-2011   #9
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
F1 Camel

Brian H strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrian H strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrian H strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrian H strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrian H strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrian H strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrian H strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrian H strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrian H strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrian H strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorBrian H strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 2683374

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanycjw View Post
Thanks Chitobeach
Ok.. you have experience the softness on the Tamron lens 200-500mm, so you suggest a Sigma is the better choice. Thanks.
Yes I feel the Sigma is the much better buy here

SONY A99 A580 and A55
........Carl Zeiss 16-80mm, .Sigma 50-500mm (bigma) f4, Minolta 50mm f1.7, Minolta 35-70 F4 Macro. Minolta 28-85mm F3.5 Macro. tons of studio lights and modifiers 9 full frame
Brian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011   #10
Vicuna

After some searching and discussion and input from senior here, I decided to buy this Sigma 120-400mm instead of the tamron 200-500 without VC and Nikon 80-400mm (slow lens)

By the way, do you senior out thers uses a FILTER for you Lens?? Skylight or UV and will it degrade the IQ?

Photo collect from Sigma 120-400mm lens:
Sigma 120-400mm APO OS - collection photos by others - a set on Flickr

Sigma 120-400 specs:
120-400mm F4.5-5.6 DG APO OS HSM - Telephoto Zoom Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com

Nikon 80-400mm specs:
Nikon | Imaging Products | AF VR Zoom-Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED (5.0x)

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Other Cameras and Lenses »

Share this topic: