NFL 2017/2018 Season
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2017   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default NFL 2017/2018 Season

Ah, it's late July and NFL fans know what that means...yup, training camps! It also means the regular season is just around the corner.

As such, please tell us about your team: The expectations, additions/subtractions, your rookie class, or any major changes such as a new head coach or a new QB.

As customary around here we will crown the Redskins as the off-season champions. Right, JD?

Best of luck to all teams (well, maybe not the Seahawks ).

aam1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Default Re: NFL 2017/2018 Season

I think this year we can safely say the Redskins aren't the champs; going year to year on their franchise QB can't be good for anyone's health. As much as we like our traditions, this one might have to take a vacation this summer.

I'm hoping this is the year that the 49ers begin the upward climb and get away from being Cleveland West. Trent Baalke is finally gone, but Brian Hoyer and Matt Barkley are the quarterbacks; it's going to take some time, I think. Lynch and Shanahan are basically rebuilding the team from scratch. Veterans Navarro Bowman and Joe Staley are the only established players I can name off the top of my head.

Our friends across the Bay, the Raiders, had a good season last year, but they're trying to fill seats after committing to leave for Las Vegas. Quarterback Derek Carr signed the biggest contract in NFL history (that is front-loaded to boot) but keeps claiming he did a discounted team-friendly deal to "leave money for his teammates"... I guess he was going to ask for $35 million/year instead of 25?

Losing running back Latavius Murray to the Vikings in free agency was probably addition by subtraction; Murray was big like Eric Dickerson but ran like post-Oregon LaMichael James. I swear he only got his numbers by sheer amount of touches. That said, coaxing Oakland's favorite son Marshawn Lynch out of retirement feels like a desperate bid to fill seats before the Raiders leave. How is a young fresh back not a better choice than a previously-retired veteran?
Old 07-21-2017   #3
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6964240
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclohexane View Post
How is a young fresh back not a better choice than a previously-retired veteran?
Always wondered how the backup player feels when the guy you backup is out there, with a broken arm, or dislocated this, or whatever, playing at 75%, with the announcers saying that.... and you're not even that good? Wondered if it was about ego, filling seats, etc.

I don't have a team. From Detroit, but that isn't really a team. They tread water every year. A bad season they win 6 times and a great season they win 9. Ehh. Couldn't win with Barry Sanders, or Billy Sims, or Calvin Johnson, and so on. I do hope Dallas does not win. Or Atlanta. Not sure the west coast has much hope this year. Not even sure close to the west coast Arizona has one.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906

Quote:
I think this year we can safely say the Redskins aren't the champs; going year to year on their franchise QB can't be good for anyone's health. As much as we like our traditions, this one might have to take a vacation this summer.
Yeah. Sounds out-dated, doesn't it.

Alright. How about them, Raiders? They are up & coming, me think.
Old 07-22-2017   #5
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193

Raiders are definitely up and coming, but GM Reggie McKenzie seems to mix in an odd draft choice or bone-headed free agent signing every other offseason.

Somewhat recently, he signed Maurice Jones-Drew as the starting RB and he gained less than 100 yards for the season, and then this year's first round pick Gareon Conley is still awaiting to hear whether he'll face charges for sexual assault.

The Raiders are set on offense (no more Latavius Murray!) but the defense still needs some players to emerge alongside Khalil Mack. Not entirely sold on Bruce Irvin, and who knows when Aldon Smith is finally coming back.
Old 07-22-2017   #6
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 750031
Constructive Critique?: No

Quote:

Our friends across the Bay, the Raiders, had a good season last year, but they're trying to fill seats after committing to leave for Las Vegas.
I'm not sure where you're getting your information.

"Raiders sell out 2017 season tickets despite looming move from Oakland to Las Vegas." Raiders sell out 2017 season tickets despite looming move from Oakland to Vegas - CBSSports.com

As far as "loosing" Latavius Murray, we had the option of keeping him but chose to let him seek other employment. Most of his yards came as a result of the number of sheer "touches." His YPC was down considerably and we had other much better options available.

We currently have "Beast Mode" Marshawn Lynch, DeAndre' Washington, Jalen Richard and rookie sensation Elijah Hood in the backfield.... so, I'd say, "Hide and watch!" Lynch will have at LEAST 1,200 yards this season. He's got what's considered the 2nd best offensive line in the entire NFL (behind the Cowboys) to make holes for him, so.... just sayin'.

Also, if by some chance we do happen to end up with Calvin Johnson.... Imagine, if you will, Derek Carr having "Megatron" Johnson, Amari Cooper, Michael Crabtree and newly acquired Cordarelle Patterson to throw to! Keep in mind, Oakland had the fewest sacks allowed in the entire NFL last year!

Now, switch to the other side of the ball! Khalil Mack, Bruce Irvin, Mario Edwards Jr., Karl Joseph, first round draft pick phenom CB Gareon Conley and 2nd round draft pick safety Obi Melifonwu are going to be a defensive coordinator's nightmare!

I said for years that we would not return to prominence until Al Davis passed the reins, one way or the other. Since his passing and the acquisition of Reggie McKenzie as General manager and Jack Del Rio as head coach, things have made a remarkable turnaround. The Raiders 2014 draft was one of the best in the entire NFL, with Khalil Mack, Derek Carr and Gabe Jackson to show for their efforts.

If we have any weak spots in the roster, I'd say it's at QB. We don't have what I'd consider a good backup. Also, we're weak at the middle linebacker position, but hopefully that situation will work itself out in training camp. I'm still counting on Ben Heeney to rise to the occasion. Other than that, we're deep in talent and most of our team is young! That translates into, I dare say, a dynasty! I know, I know.... but I'll go out on a limb there. I've waited for so long. I've been a loyal, die-hard Raider fan since the day they became a team way back in 1960. I've never wavered, through thick and thin.... and up until last year, things have been very bleak for the past decade. So, please allow me a little gloating!

Whether you're a Raider fan or a Raider hater, one thing's for sure. Professional football is a lot more fun when the Raiders are seriously in the hunt!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Black is a Happy Color.jpg (34.3 KB, 70 views)
Old 07-23-2017   #7
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 26034

Seriously I've never been more confused about this team. We have people in pretty much every position that have had good years, and horrible years, we have damn near and entirely new staff, and no flippin clue about whether they'll be good...or bad...

The nickname Cardiac Cats is gonna make a comeback.
prohobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017   #8
Guanaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by prohobo View Post
Seriously I've never been more confused about this team. We have people in pretty much every position that have had good years, and horrible years, we have damn near and entirely new staff, and no flippin clue about whether they'll be good...or bad...

The nickname Cardiac Cats is gonna make a comeback.
To which team are you referring, sir?
Old 07-23-2017   #9
Guanaco

Quote:
Raiders are definitely up and coming, but GM Reggie McKenzie seems to mix in an odd draft choice or bone-headed free agent signing every other offseason.

Somewhat recently, he signed Maurice Jones-Drew as the starting RB and he gained less than 100 yards for the season, and then this year's first round pick Gareon Conley is still awaiting to hear whether he'll face charges for sexual assault.

The Raiders are set on offense (no more Latavius Murray!) but the defense still needs some players to emerge alongside Khalil Mack. Not entirely sold on Bruce Irvin, and who knows when Aldon Smith is finally coming back.
Maurice Jones-Drew. Hmmm.... I can see where Reggie might sign him to a one year contract. He was a three-time pro-bowl selection and led the NFL in rushing in 2011 and if you're a team in transition and in dire need of a running back, I understand how Jones-Drew might be a likely choice. But, I think other free agent signings Reggie has made have worked out rather well for the Raiders.

I've got to agree with you on the choice of Conley, especially as a first round pick. I was very disappointed when they selected him. They've made a concerted effort to select players with a good personal background, so I scratched my head over this pick. But, who knows. I'll just have to trust in Reggie's research in this young man's background. I'm sure, or at least HOPE, he'd done his homework.

I've pretty much given up on Aldon Smith. Such a shame. Imagine the book-end he would have made for Khalil Mack! MY OH MY! Such a superb duo they could have made. But, I think Smith is a lost cause and just doesn't have the self-discipline to keep on the right side of wrong. Sigh!

But, on the brighter side, we've got some up-and-coming young men.... and I stress YOUNG.... who have what appears to be a brilliant future ahead of them. SS Karl Joseph, the Raiders first round pick out of West Virginia in 2016, made a tremendous showing in his first year until an injury put him on the bench. He's a very heavy hitter, reminiscent of Jack Tatum and I look forward to seeing him perform this up-coming season.

We've got a roster full of some very promising young men who, for the most part, have their heads in the right place. Jack Del Rio has them all believing in him and his program. They have a great group of assistant coaches and I think.... and hope... that this will be our year. I'm not getting any younger and I'd like to be able to run out into the streets, wearing my favorite old tattered Raiders sweatshirt just ONE MORE TIME after they've just won the Super Bowl and hoot and holler to the Heavens. Please.... JUST ONE MORE TIME!
Old 07-24-2017   #10
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 26034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewman View Post
To which team are you referring, sir?
Jaguars...the hometeam.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: