Early retirement
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2014   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Early retirement

I'm not close to the retirement age, yet I'm thinking about it. I'm thinking that life is somewhat short, why not enjoy it to the fullest.

What would you do if you decide to retire with a comfortable income?

aam1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014   #2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1467548
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Early retirement

The happiest retirees I know are the ones who stay active physically and mentally. If you generally liked what you were doing and can still do it, you might consider semi-retirement instead, or elevate one of your hobbies about which you have a passion to something akin to a full-time job or go into volunteer work.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 12371327
Editing OK?: Yes

I am thinking of retiring in 2 years. I will have to find another job to make up some lost income, but it would be just part time and I could then really enjoy my hobbies of photography, gardening, cooking, and hopefully get back into camping and horses, and also help look after my parents. They are very independent right now but they will both be 80 before too much longer and I'm really glad I'm across the road from them.

I am not one of these people who want to retire to go "live the good life" by travelling all the time. I live the good life already now except for wishing I had more time to do some things. So that's what I would do.

What do you want to do more of, Al?
Old 06-27-2014   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 3246368

I've been semi retired since I was 42! Sure I've worked some but nothing serious. I don't have much money but I have what I need. My current primary activities are Search and Rescue and volunteering for friends of the forest helping the Red Rock Ranger District with all kinds of things. I go on a few annual campouts teaching primitive fire making and didgeridoo making and playing. I'll be 67 years old this July, I have no regrets....

COMMENTS, CRITIQUES ALWAYS WELCOME

IMAGINE ALL THE PEOPLE LIVING LIFE IN PEACE
verdesardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014   #5
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 12615712
Editing OK?: Ask First

I'm 60 and had originally planned to retire at 55, but the market wasn't so great and it didn't happen. My plan now is 65 (my kids will both graduate college when I'm 64) , but I do not want to work much longer than that. I want to retire in good health so I can enjoy innumerable things (photography, travel, camping, ham radio, pleasure reading, etc.). I have so many interests, that there is no way I will be bored.

Canon 7D2, Canon 7D, Canon 30D, Canon 500/4L,Canon 100-400/4.5-5.6L II, Canon 400/5.6L, Canon 70-200/2.8 L II, Canon 100/2.8 Macro, Canon 50/1.8 MkI, Canon 40mm f/2.8 STM,Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Canon 17-55/2.8, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Rokinon 8/3.5 FE, Sigma 1.4 and 2X EX ,Canon 1.4x II and 2x III, Induro CT313 tripod, AT214 tripod, Induro GHB-2 gimbal, Canon 600EX-RT, Canon 430EX, Olympus TG-3
icassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014   #6
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Lily View Post
I am not one of these people who want to retire to go "live the good life" by travelling all the time. I live the good life already now except for wishing I had more time to do some things. So that's what I would do.
This is what my dad ended up doing. He was financially comfortable, and he found it difficult to go back to work after getting laid off twice.

He just has more time now to do the things he loves. He's pretty careful with his spending so he has it under control.
Old 07-03-2014   #7
Camel Breath

Cheers, Alan (scoundrel1728 ), Sis (Rain Lily), verdesardog (Michael), Ian (icassell). And last but not least, My Man, Michael.
Old 07-03-2014   #8
Camel Breath

Alan, I'm nowhere near the people you are referring to [age-wise, hence the word "early"].

Quote:
I am not one of these people who want to retire to go "live the good life" by travelling all the time. I live the good life already now except for wishing I had more time to do some things.
That's exactly what I'm thinking!

I will add that I wish I don't have to wake-up so early (even though I'm a day person. LOVE mornings, my favorite time of the day).
Old 07-03-2014   #9
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 15515

I retired at 40 fourteen years ago. Not super wealthy but have enough income. Our youngest just graduated college. My wife is still working but finally considering retiring.
There is a famous quote along the lines of, no one ever said on their death bed, I wish I spent more time working.

As for staying busy. I don't know how I ever had time to work.

You are who you choose to be, are you who you want to be?
Gene243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014   #10
Camel Breath

Quote:
What do you want to do more of, Al?
Same as you, Sis (except cooking. I'll leave that to the care-taker's wife. Very talented cook). So basically, photography, gardening (we have big plot of land there), and some exercise.

If you remember, we have a house up in the mountains of the Mediterranean, in a little village. Really loved the little village life. So wish I can spend more time there.

aam1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: