PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week
 

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012   #1681
Dromedary
 
dmthompson's Avatar
 
Location: Washington State
Posts: 1,307
dmthompson has a reputation beyond reputedmthompson has a reputation beyond reputedmthompson has a reputation beyond reputedmthompson has a reputation beyond reputedmthompson has a reputation beyond reputedmthompson has a reputation beyond reputedmthompson has a reputation beyond reputedmthompson has a reputation beyond reputedmthompson has a reputation beyond reputedmthompson has a reputation beyond reputedmthompson has a reputation beyond repute
CamelKarma: 24299
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Who likes Ron Paul here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
Wow, if you consider what has happened regarding Foreign Policy to be a success, we truly are too far apart to ever come to an agreement on politics.

Now, me, as a veteran, and also someone who thinks we shouldn't be policing the world thinks our foreign policy has been disasterous and has made this country much less safe. How many wars are we in right now? Heck, I lose count. Syria is on the brink, Libya, Afghanistan, Iran is on the brink. That isn't counting all of our special forces ops or all of the other things 'Newspeak' is not calling a war.

We've thrown our allies under the bus. Iraq is worse than it was two years ago. Gitmo is still open, and now we can send U.S. Citizens there without trials. Oh, and we just got done burning Koran's in Afganistan... The entire thing is a freaking mess.

We are trying to put out a fire with gasoline and it isn't working.

As far as getting the troops home, we have done nothing of the sort. One, Obama didn't voluntarily pull troops our of Iraq...they got kicked out. Two, they didn't come home, they just rotated to a different theater.

You've got your head so far up Obama's behind you can't even see daylight, much less what is going on in the world around you.
I don't have my head up anyones behind as you put it, I'm only telling you the Republicians will have a difficult attacking his forign policy. Almost no one in this country cares why the troups left Iraq, only if they did. The average voter doesn't care a hoot about Libya because it's a done deal. As long as no troups are going into Syira or we do not use airpower the voters don't care. Iran is only an issue because of their talk and their are not many voters who care as long as they do nothing. The same goes for our Special Ops teams. Gitmo is the same way with the average voter because it simply does not affect them. As long as the troups are comming home from Afganistan starting this summer it will not be an issue. As far as burning the Quran, the average voter doesn't give a dam about that.

It will be a a difficult path for the Republicians because the public preceves all of these are a success assuming the troups are comming home in any amount this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
I disagree. We have been in Iraq many times over the last few decades, before Bush. Also, we are close to being in Syria. Libya is ongoing, and Obama has ramped up Afghanistan as well as making Iran more brazen because we are not backing Israel.

The part that ordered soldiers to discard religious documents and have them burned. I'm pretty sure a few privates didn't just decide to do it on their own. As far as spellings, Quran, Qur'an, Koran, Alcoran, Qur’ān, Coran, Kuran, and al-Qur’ān are all accepted spellings.

What agreement? Iraq said they were going to start prosecuting the soldiers who were commiting crimes, therefore, the U.S. pulled the soldiers out. If Iraq had not have withdrawn protection from those soldiers, they would still be there.
As I have said before, you make too much of this. The average voter doesn't give a dam about why we left Iraq or the burning of religious documents in a forign country because it has no effect on them. You can say whatever you want but the average US voter would not put up with a forign government putting one of our soldiers on trial.

Dwight
dmthompson is offline  
Old 02-25-2012   #1682
Former Camel
 
Posts: 374
dthem is infamous around these partsdthem is infamous around these partsdthem is infamous around these partsdthem is infamous around these partsdthem is infamous around these parts
CamelKarma: -493
Default Re: Who likes Ron Paul here?

Of course you Obama supporters wouldn't care about this:

A new, nonpartisan study found that three of the four Republican presidential hopefuls would actually add to the federal debt over the next decade.

The one true fiscal conservative in the lot: Ron Paul.

Study: Ron Paul would be the only candidate to shrink the federal debt | Texas on the Potomac | a Chron.com blog
dthem is offline  
Old 02-25-2012   #1683
Former Camel
 
Posts: 374
dthem is infamous around these partsdthem is infamous around these partsdthem is infamous around these partsdthem is infamous around these partsdthem is infamous around these parts
CamelKarma: -493
Default Re: Who likes Ron Paul here?

That's why Republican and democrat big spenders are taking advantage of this fact -- As George Carlin said -- if you have selfish ignorant citizens you bound to have selfish ignorant politicians.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dmthompson View Post

As I have said before, you make too much of this. The average voter doesn't give a dam about why we left Iraq or the burning of religious documents in a forign country because it has no effect on them. You can say whatever you want but the average US voter would not put up with a forign government putting one of our soldiers on trial.

Dwight
dthem is offline  
Old 02-25-2012   #1684
F1 Camel
 
gryphonslair99's Avatar
 
Location: Wichita, Kansas, USA
Posts: 3,182
gryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1080249
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Who likes Ron Paul here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthem View Post
Of course you Obama supporters wouldn't care about this:

A new, nonpartisan study found that three of the four Republican presidential hopefuls would actually add to the federal debt over the next decade.

The one true fiscal conservative in the lot: Ron Paul.

Study: Ron Paul would be the only candidate to shrink the federal debt | Texas on the Potomac | a Chron.com blog

DEAR RON PAUL FANS: Yes, Your Candidate's Plan Will Destroy The Economy

Here's Ron Paul's Crazy Plan To Destroy The Economy

Blodget: Ron Paul’s Plan Will “Destroy the Economy” | Tom Woods

Don't ya just love playing the post a link game.
__________________
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about time, masters worry about light.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.


"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is online now  
Old 02-26-2012   #1685
F1 Camel
 
gryphonslair99's Avatar
 
Location: Wichita, Kansas, USA
Posts: 3,182
gryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1080249
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Who likes Ron Paul here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthem View Post
That's why Republican and democrat big spenders are taking advantage of this fact -- As George Carlin said -- if you have selfish ignorant citizens you bound to have selfish ignorant politicians.

I'll see you with a Will Rogers:

Everything is changing. People are taking their comedians seriously and the politicians as a joke.

And raise you a Charles de Gaulle:

I have come to the conclusion that politics are too serious a matter to be left to the politicians.


(FYI. I know that both these guys are dead.)
__________________
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about time, masters worry about light.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.


"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is online now  
Old 02-26-2012   #1686
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath
 
wolfd's Avatar
 
Location: Beautiful B.C.
Posts: 41,260
wolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 163004270
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Who likes Ron Paul here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphonslair99 View Post
I'll see you with a Will Rogers:

Everything is changing. People are taking their comedians seriously and the politicians as a joke.

And raise you a Charles de Gaulle:

I have come to the conclusion that politics are too serious a matter to be left to the politicians.


(FYI. I know that both these guys are dead.)
Awww don't feel bad , Gryph - George Carlin's dead too.
__________________
The best camera is the one you have with you.
wolfd is online now  
Old 02-26-2012   #1687
F1 Camel
 
gryphonslair99's Avatar
 
Location: Wichita, Kansas, USA
Posts: 3,182
gryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorgryphonslair99 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1080249
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Who likes Ron Paul here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfd View Post
Awww don't feel bad , Gryph - George Carlin's dead too.
I know, but some people previously didn't.
__________________
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about time, masters worry about light.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.


"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is online now  
Old 02-26-2012   #1688
Dromedary
 
dmthompson's Avatar
 
Location: Washington State
Posts: 1,307
dmthompson has a reputation beyond reputedmthompson has a reputation beyond reputedmthompson has a reputation beyond reputedmthompson has a reputation beyond reputedmthompson has a reputation beyond reputedmthompson has a reputation beyond reputedmthompson has a reputation beyond reputedmthompson has a reputation beyond reputedmthompson has a reputation beyond reputedmthompson has a reputation beyond reputedmthompson has a reputation beyond repute
CamelKarma: 24299
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Who likes Ron Paul here?

Ron Paul is mostly talk. It's easy to sucker some people into believing by electing him he will make everything right. What he doesn't tell people is he would not be able to do what he says he will without Congressional approval which he would not get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthem View Post
That's why Republican and democrat big spenders are taking advantage of this fact -- As George Carlin said -- if you have selfish ignorant citizens you bound to have selfish ignorant politicians.
As George Carlin said -- if you have selfish ignorant citizens you bound to have selfish ignorant politicians. If you really believe this then we are in agreement. Are problems DO NOT stem from who is in office but the American people and Special Interest groups that don't give a dam about the COUNTRY but only about themselvies. This is certainly true with muli-national corportations and their stockholders. The politicians in Washington DC vote the way they do because the people who elected them want them too. The problem with this is we have SELFISH IGNORANT CITIZENS because the politicians do not tell the truth but only tell the people what they want to hear because if they told the truth they woundn't get relected. Military base closings are a prime example. The military has aprox 700 bases worldwide and over the last 10 years have wanted to close a couple of hundred of these but the Congress will not let them. WHY? Because the people who live and work near these bases would take an economic hit. This means that if their Rep. in Congress voted to close them they would not get relected.

Just how many people would get relected to Congress if they voted to eliminiate the homeowner tax deduction for interest and eliminiated the tax loopholes for businesses along with raising capital gains taxes?

Most of the American people are SELFISH and IGNORANT but in the long term it is not going to matter because sooner or later the economy will drop into a depression and take with it the rest of the world.

Dwight

Last edited by dmthompson; 02-26-2012 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: spelling
dmthompson is offline  
Old 02-26-2012   #1689
Bactrian
 
Kerbouchard's Avatar
 
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,818
Kerbouchard has much to be proud ofKerbouchard has much to be proud ofKerbouchard has much to be proud ofKerbouchard has much to be proud ofKerbouchard has much to be proud ofKerbouchard has much to be proud ofKerbouchard has much to be proud ofKerbouchard has much to be proud ofKerbouchard has much to be proud ofKerbouchard has much to be proud ofKerbouchard has much to be proud of
CamelKarma: 11638
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Who likes Ron Paul here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmthompson View Post
Ron Paul is mostly talk. It's easy to sucker some people into believing by electing him he will make everything right. What he doesn't tell people is he would not be able to do what he says he will without Congressional approval which he would not get.
See, that is the thing about Paul. He isn't afraid to vote 'No' on things out of principle. He has done it consistently. He may need Congressional approval to do a lot of what he wants to do, but Congress needs him to sign off on their pet projects, which he would not do. I still say there is no way Congress can get together enough to overcome a veto.
Quote:
As George Carlin said -- if you have selfish ignorant citizens you bound to have selfish ignorant politicians. If you really believe this then we are in agreement. Are problems DO NOT stem from who is in office but the American people and Special Interest groups that don't give a dam about the COUNTRY but only about themselvies. This is certainly true with muli-national corportations and their stockholders. The politicians in Washington DC vote the way they do because the people who elected them want them too. The problem with this is we have SELFISH IGNORANT CITIZENS because the politicians do not tell the truth but only tell the people what they want to hear because if they told the truth they woundn't get relected. Military base closings are a prime example. The military has aprox 700 bases worldwide and over the last 10 years have wanted to close a couple of hundred of these but the Congress will not let them. WHY? Because the people who live and work near these bases would take an economic hit. This means that if their Rep. in Congress voted to close them they would not get relected.

Just how many people would get relected to Congress if they voted to eliminiate the homeowner tax deduction for interest and eliminiated the tax loopholes for businesses along with raising capital gains taxes?

Most of the American people are SELFISH and IGNORANT but in the long term it is not going to matter because sooner or later the economy will drop into a depression and take with it the rest of the world.

Dwight
See, this is the ironic part. I actually agree with most of what you just said. In the long term, if our spending habits do not change, we will have worse than a depression. The entire freaking house of cards is going to come tumbling down. We have built an entire economy on credit and service.

The only way our economy is going to get better is with massive corrections and a government that will sit back and let those corrections happen.

For instance if Bushbama had not have done all the bail outs, the banks would have foreclosed on more homes therefore housing prices would drop. Eventually, prices would drop to a place where the market can actually support them without having to be propped up by artificially low interest rates.

Everything the government does to prop up an unsustainable economy is taking us closer to the brink of financial collapse.

It would be the same in my household. If I tried to keep up with the Jones', get more and more credit to do so, use credit to pay debtors, take out an extra mortgage, etc, etc, eventually, the credit would dry up and I would lose everything.

The argument that a gov't can spend like that without reprecussions falls flat.
__________________
--George

Who is John Galt?
Kerbouchard is offline  
Old 02-26-2012   #1690
Llama
 
Location: Maui
Posts: 777
Reeflections is just really very very niceReeflections is just really very very niceReeflections is just really very very niceReeflections is just really very very niceReeflections is just really very very niceReeflections is just really very very niceReeflections is just really very very niceReeflections is just really very very niceReeflections is just really very very niceReeflections is just really very very niceReeflections is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 90049
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: Who likes Ron Paul here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
See, that is the thing about Paul. He isn't afraid to vote 'No' on things out of principle. He has done it consistently. He may need Congressional approval to do a lot of what he wants to do, but Congress needs him to sign off on their pet projects, which he would not do. I still say there is no way Congress can get together enough to overcome a veto.
I don't think anyone would doubt Paul's consistency or that he is a man of principle. But it's all moot because he will never get past the primary. Which is a good thing IMHO.

If he did become the nominee (3rd party), he might give Obama the toughest go of it tho. The far left might hold their nose on his economic policies and vote for him for his foreign policy - while the far right would hold their noses on his foreign policy and vote for him for his economic policies. Of course they may do the opposite and he would lose big time.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post

For instance if Bushbama had not have done all the bail outs, the banks would have foreclosed on more homes therefore housing prices would drop. Eventually, prices would drop to a place where the market can actually support them without having to be propped up by artificially low interest rates.
I think people much smarter than us would disagree on the bailouts. We'll never know for sure but a worldwide depression that most economists predicted could have caused a calamity that would have lasted decades. Rather than complain about the bailouts, the answer is to never let us get into that predicament again. That's where the GOP is failing IMO. That is also where I disagree with Paul. Unbridled free market does not work. No, that doesn't make me a Socialist - there is a happy medium between no regulations and over regulations.


__________________
Members don't see ads in threads. Register for your free account today and become a member of PhotoCamel to open up the site's many benefits and features.
__________________
Michael

"If it sounds good, it is good." Duke Ellington


~ Reeflections Gallery ~ fine art photography prints
Reeflections is offline  
Closed Thread

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »


Share this topic:

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello from Ron Ron11 Introduce Yourself 1 05-18-2011 05:41 PM
Hi, my name is Ron RACAIN Introduce Yourself 2 04-08-2010 12:31 PM
Ron Bathing :) JeRon Portraits 24 09-22-2008 10:43 PM
Ron jabomano Portraits 1 03-20-2008 11:16 PM
Ron from Oklahoma SabreDance Introduce Yourself 5 11-09-2007 05:42 AM