Olympus E_P1 impressions... (early impressions)
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Olympus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009   #1
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 344
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Olympus E_P1 impressions... (early impressions)

haven't played much with it yet but here it goes-

- well built - overall. My only concern are over time, both dials, if they will become too lose with use, particularly the dial-rotating wheel around the arrow button menus.

- click shutter sound- great. Sounds like a nice solid small well built film camera.

- the shutter does have the G1's "double snap" peculiar snap. Hard to describe. Nothing bad.

- AF- quite acceptable. It's like a fast P&S. Those expecting DSLR's speeds, could go with a Panasonic G1 I guess

- Manual focusing experience:

- No IS during it, but ok

- I think it works pretty well overall, which that when you finish focusing the zoom would automatically go out. Maybe there's a setting for this.
- If you press the shutter while in MF-assist, you will get some lag. It's tiny but it's there.

- From half shutter to full shutter press- pretty much DSLR class lag
- from no shutter to full shutter press- you get a lag similar to something between the e-30 and e-620.

- 14-42 - surprised you can focus so close, you can do some DOF control with some shots depending on subject.
- Lens feel well built even if it's mostly a plastic alloy. Metal mount and I think some metal rings.

- Image quality in general- better than the 620 in jpegs, but I can tell the lenses are not as good as the 4/3rd lenses. They are not bad particularly for what they are, and you can get some good results but I see some issues I never saw say in my 4/3rds 14-54. That's ok, I never expected them to be at that level. Good lenses will come and will cost, there's no two ways around that.

- I got the last Pen at the place I bought it at. They arrived and sold out.

- Another image quality in general data point- the E-3 with the lenses it has is definitively better, but that should be hardly a surprise. I mean of course until you hit ISO 1600 and up.

- Raist

Photographer & Tools/Systems/Gui Vid Games Programmer
Raist3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 12368
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Olympus E_P1 impressions... (early impressions)

1. Did you try the 17mm pancake?
2. When you say there's some lag in MF does that mean when you use the live view zoom and MF you still get a lag? Why would that be? I'm hoping to get one of these to use in manual mode, with the pancake lens and with a variety of old manual focus lenses, so that's the main issue for me. If there's a way to manual focus and have it shoot instantly (avoiding any AF system related lag) that's what I'm looking for.

Damn olympus for coming out with such a tempting camera I'm not an olympus or 4/3rds guy but this E-P1 is just ridiculously tempting (I've been wanting a small P&S with video mode so I can use that as my justification...).
walter23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009   #3
Bactrian

1. - no, wasn't out yet.
2. - That you have the camera set to manual focus, and it's magnified, even with the half shutter press you still get some lag but found a work around:

A. - press the shutter half way
B. - then use manual focus
C. - now press the shutter fully.

There's still a tiny itsy bit of lag compared to not magnifying the live view but it's really small.

- Raist
Old 07-12-2009   #4
Llama

Weird that you'd get a lag with that; I can't imagine what good reason there would be for it. Exposure calculation maybe? What if you shoot in manual exposure mode?

Maybe something to do with "clearing" the sensor electronics?
Old 07-12-2009   #5
Llama

Noise looks a little high on the sample images I've seen (like ISO 200); worse than on my 4 year old canon digital rebel XT... but I guess I'm not coming from the 4/3 world where you guys are used to this

Still, I like the form factor so much that I'm probably going to end up getting one of these some day.
Old 07-12-2009   #6
Bactrian

I have noticed this happens with all Olympus cameras- except the E-30 which shortens that considerably. But keep in mind when you do this on the E_P1- they way I mentioned it, it's very fast too. I say lag but its' really really small. I just notice little things I guess

- Raist

Photographer & Tools/Systems/Gui Vid Games Programmer
Raist3d is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Olympus »

Share this topic: