PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Olympus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2006   #1
Bactrian

Raist3d is a jewel in the roughRaist3d is a jewel in the roughRaist3d is a jewel in the roughRaist3d is a jewel in the rough
CamelKarma: 344
Default Days 22-25, photography challenge

Here are days 22-25. I am pretty busy so not many comments except, all shot on JPEG, B&W, out of the camera, zero post. This is of that crazy pledge to post one photo a day for each day of march, along with several other peer photo bloggers... I realize I am behind in the days but I have been pretty busy at work last and this week.

My own self critique on each - #2 probably should use more DOF, #4 (last one) I like it but could have used a lot more contrast/shadows.. needed to play with a different light I guess...

Comments/critique/suggestions most welcome.

--
Raist3d
e-volt 300 (not for long anymore), e-330 and some Zuiko lenses. Fuji F710, Panasonic FZ20
Tools/Gui Programmer - vid games industry, Photography student.

Photographer & Tools/Systems/Gui Vid Games Programmer
Raist3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006   #2
Photocamel Master

scoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorscoundrel1728 strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 222520
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: Days 22-25, photography challenge

Shot #1 at first reminded me of the minute hand on the face of a large clock. Shot #3 was probably of the same subject but it is shots #1 and #2 that seem most similar to each other because of the similarities in the background, lighting, and camera angle.

Of these, #4 is my favorite, with #1 coming in second. Not enough is going on in #2 to hold my interest. The novelty of of the lighting and the viewpoint in #2 is also dissipated by its similarity to #1. #2 would probably do better if displayed separately where its impact punches weren't so obviously telegraphed.

Looks like you tried the same photographic technique with #3 that you did with the coffee mug. The coffee mug shot owes much of its impact to the resemblance of the resulting light pattern to a human figure. The subject in #3, on the other hand, retains its identity as a copper pipe mounted on a brick wall.

Despite my liking #1, I think it could be improved compositionally either by cropping some of the brick wall to the right of the pipe or by tilting the camera so the pipe runs more nearly across the whole diagonal of the frame.

The thing that intrigues me about #4 isn't so much the chunk of concrete in the middle, though this is well-placed compositionally, but the hint in the background of concentric circles, with one or two subordinate sets of curves. They somehow conspire to focus the viewer's attention on the concrete chunk in the middle in a subtle and mysterious way.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Olympus »

Share this topic: