Feedback please
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Olympus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2017   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 103347
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Feedback please

So my whole photography life ive always shot with Canon and recently I thought of trying to go mirrorless. A friend of mine who is also a photographer suggested OLYMPUS OM-D E-M1 to me? I do alot of landscapes and other people and astrophotography and I wanted to know what you all thought.

Thanks in advanced.

Justsomeguy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1003042
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: Feedback please

I own the OMD EM1 and am very happy with it. My recommendation would be to rent one and give it a try for the photography you do.

Olympus OMD EM-1, EPL1, standard kit lens, 17mm 1.8, 60mm macro, 75-300mm II, 45mm 1.8, Rokinon 7.5mm Fish Eye, lens cap lens, ec-14, Fl-36 flash, adapter, misc accessories.
mike C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6964240
Editing OK?: Ask First

The E-M1 is a great camera. Obviously the E-M1 mkII is better, or so they say, but is also a lot more money.I'm on the fence of getting one, and then scuttling my E-M1.

The E-M5 MkII is also a great camera, a bit smaller than the E-M1, less of a grip, but easier to pack. The E-M5 MkII also has the Hi-Res mode if you lock it down on a tripod well of your landscapes... if they aren't moving.

Both are weather sealed, so that might be a bit of an advantage in the field for you. The Pen-F is a fun camera, not weather sealed, but has a bit of a cult following for fun, street shooting, prime lens using, and retro looking.

If price is a concern, the E-M1 original is probably the best bargain buy, since it is older and available used at good prices... but still a nice camera. The E-M5 mkII is probably the next best camera given what little I know you want, and what I'd say you look at, then the Pen-F.

Next is a lens. For landscape, the most recommended and for a reason is the Olympus 12-40 f/2.8... close is the Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8. if you are a prime shooter, the Olympus 12mm or 17mm might be good options, or you can go wider. Just keep in mind you have to double the focal length for 355mm equivalence and also you can use Panasonic m43 lenses on the Olympus body, and the other way around too. All Olympus have in body IS, not all Panasonic bodies do.

Hope that helps. We have a few m43 folks on this forum, taking great images.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017   #4
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1419628

Not sure an electronic viewfinder would work well for astrophotography. I have trouble picking up small astronomical objects, except perhaps extraordinarily bright ones like the moon or Venus, with anything but an optical viewfinder. The bright sunlight also might render the main LCD screen difficult to view, but I don't usually have that problem with a peephole-type EVF. That problem can also be cured with a special screen viewer or a black cloth such as view camera photographers use.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017   #5
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 534241
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728 View Post
Not sure an electronic viewfinder would work
well for astrophotography. I have trouble
picking up small astronomical objects, except
perhaps extraordinarily bright ones .........
Surely, rigging up a useful but affordable guide scope
for use with a live-view camera is a no-brainer project
for anyone with even barely a toe in the pond of astro ?

IIRC, some astro types use a laser beam instead of a
a guide scope ? I realize that ideal viewing conditions
should render the laser nearly useless, but I do think I
have seen this done ? After all, just how often are we
cursed with laser-defeating ideal viewing conditions ?

-------------------------------------------------------

Now here's an idea that would be less simple but one
that I believe would be well received once solved:

How about a pinpoint light source rigged into a set of
optics such that when it's placed onto the front of any
camera lens [exact distance non-critical] it will, by dint
of its optical design, present an accurate pinpoint focus
target that reliably represents Infinity Focus distance.

Such an idea hits me as possible, thinking about how
eyepiece optics in an SLR optically "move" the focus
reticle and screen surface from a real-world position
of just a few inches from our eye, to a new "optically
relocated" position of about 40 inches away.

While I'm NOT an engineer, the terms "relay optics"
and "virtual image" seem to half-way emerge from a
thick fog when I ponder this idea ......
Golem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017   #6
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1419628

When you look through a peephole eyepiece of any viewfinder, electronic or optical, you are looking at a virtual image.

A couple of problems with your laser focusing idea, the first of which is that a pinpoint does not present a good shape for autofocus, but it might work for manual focus. A line would work better, and some of Sony's autofocus assist lights cast a series of lines onto the object to be focused. They worked very well for objects within the range of the device. However, such devices are merely illuminating devices and the focus reading would be that of the distance of the object from the light is to be reflected. Furthermore, the range of such a device is limited and is far too short to provide a suitable infinity focus. This goes for laser point sources as well, which also diverge because of diffraction effects.

I also said the electronic viewfinder wouldn't work well; I didn't say that it was totally useless. In fact, I have done some nighttime star photos of my own, but determining both the focus and the field of view requires some special techniques on the part of the photographer. In my case, I found manual focus to be necessary, usually with a far-distant illuminated object as a stand-in for infinity focus. Focus on distant object, lock down the focus and zoom setting, then aim camera at intended subject. If the focus or zoom setting is changed, repeat the focus procedure. i also find prime lenses to be more useful than zooms for this application because prime lenses tend to have better light gathering power and you don't have to worry about changing the zoom setting accidentally.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Olympus »

Share this topic: