Olympus High Res Mode
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Olympus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2015   #1
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Post Olympus High Res Mode

Yeah, I need to put forth more effort and will later, I hope. If you don't know, there is a "High Resolution" mode on the new Olympus E-M5 MkII that takes 8 shots, basically shifting the sensor half a pixel each time, up and down, and stitches them together to give you a 64 megapixel image, in RAW. It will give you a 40mp image as a JPG. Why? Well, it natively has a 16mp sensor. 16mp times 8 images is 128mp, but it shifts half a pixel, so cut that in half (128 / 2) to get 64MP. The JPG of it is only 40MP because Oly engineers have assumed that the extra 24MP doesn't really yield much, so they save the image as a 40MP JPG. Anyway, pretty interesting bit of possible gimmicketry...

But, if you are wondering what the new Olympus E-M5 MkII high resolution mode might look like, I put 2 quick examples below. The High Res image is actually 9216 x 6912 pixels, and opened in PS with no ehancements (no sharpening, contrast, blah blah), and when fit to screen, zoomed to 100% pixel viewing...
Oly_HiRes_100.jpg

Here is the same shot, except done in regular Olympus RAW/JPG mode (16mp or 4608 x 3456), fit to screen, then zoomed to 100% viewing. So you can see this is a lot smaller....
Oly_Reg_100.jpg

So, not the best image viewing because I didn't spend hours on this. But if you take the regular image, and enlarge it inside PS CC (using Bi-cubic Smoother for Enlargements) to the same size as the "out of camera" hi-res image, you CAN see the difference if you look. Zooming in to 100 or 200%, the width of individual micro hairs of this scarf are wider and "mushier" on the PS CC enlarged image. Here is a 200% view of both so you can tell....

Hi-Res viewed at 200%
Hi_Res Layer.jpg

Regular JPG up-sized and viewed at 200%
Upsize_Layer.jpg

Olympus Passion Magazine
Idiot Savant AND trouble-maker...

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1004893
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: Olympus High Res Mode

Interesting. Will have to play with this on my camera.

Olympus OMD EM-1, EPL1, standard kit lens, 17mm 1.8, 60mm macro, 75-300mm II, 45mm 1.8, Rokinon 7.5mm Fish Eye, lens cap lens, ec-14, Fl-36 flash, adapter, misc accessories.
mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015   #3
Administrator

It seems to be impressive. Of course, the downside is you can't move, at all, while it does its 8 images. Tripod only mode, and it blinks if you won't get a decent image.

By the way, to do JPG only Hi-Res image taking, it took about 3 seconds from shutter down to file writing was complete. And if you want RAW + JPG Hi-Res, it took almost 5 seconds to take and write both files. That isn't bad, for my slowish SD card...

Old 03-01-2015   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199622943
Editing OK?: Yes

Interesting stuff Mr. P.
Old 03-04-2015   #5
Llama

CamelKarma: 4436722
Editing OK?: Yes

I do like the E-M511 but this feature is not what makes me want one as it is of limited use for still life and product shots. I doubt it would work even on portraits unless we went back to the old days when we put them in a head brace and asked them to hold there breath for the duration of the exposure.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
craftysnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015   #6
Administrator

Yeah, it isn't supposed to be for Portraits, since the subject can move more than half a pixel distance over the range in a second or 2. Breathing can do that. So, some macro, still, stuff like that is it.

I did see a "review" by some lady who tried to give the illusion that she is a brainiac, and she took the E-M5 MkII out to a big statue in the park, and shot a high-res against a Nikon D800 something or other (full frame 36mp). After scouring the results with her fine toothed comb, she noticed it (the Olympus) did funny things to the tree branches in the background.

Funny like how Olympus tells you not to shot landscapes in this mode, and you did anyway and then make fun of the slight pixel waves caused by the movement? Brilliant. Also, to show the his-res intelligence mode of her being, she said something like "the issues with this shows that to get the best detail possible, Olympus is really going to have to up their quality of lenses"... Now what? She had a Panasonic lens on the camera. Genius.

But there was a video review by some guy who shot the same cameras (not sure if he used a Panasonic lens to state Olympus lens lack of detail), except he did his test, indoors, with a "product shot" and he basically said "the Olympus appears to be the best product shooting camera right now, unless you get a much larger and higher price medium format". Then again, he didn't have the forthcoming offerings of 50mp from Canon either, so this product shooting things will continue to evolve.

Old 03-09-2015   #7
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 596039
Editing OK?: No

there is a way to achieve high resolution image using one's current gear via software (photoshop)

Enhance! A Practical Superresolution Tutorial in Adobe Photoshop | The Photon Collective

post whatever is in your mind no matter how unbearable it is to others, no matter if they are in authority, or a forum bully or simply a sour troll. In the end you can't please everyone and may annoy some but that is what a forum should be, an open discussion complete with trolls all over.
moodless is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Olympus »

Share this topic: