PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Olympus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012   #1
Alpaca

pmath is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 10
Default Olympus macro lenses

First post!

I have an Olympus e500 SLR (I don't think I am stretching its boundaries!) and would like to get hold of a macro lens.

Any experience or recommendations would be gratefully received.

Peter

Old 01-04-2012   #2
Photocamel Master

Dirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 810509
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Olympus macro lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmath View Post
First post!

I have an Olympus e500 SLR (I don't think I am stretching its boundaries!) and would like to get hold of a macro lens.

Any experience or recommendations would be gratefully received.

Peter
Hi Peter As Mod of the other slr sections i have moved your thread here in hope that you will get the best of help , welcome here at PC and share some work.. cheers Dirk

Old 01-04-2012   #3
F1 Camel

korman strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkorman strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkorman strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkorman strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkorman strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkorman strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkorman strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkorman strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkorman strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkorman strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkorman strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 497479
Editing OK?: Yes

Peter,

from Olympus you have the 35mm f/3.5 and 50mm f/2.0. I tried both for a short time to finally get the 50mm f/2.0. This one is a really great portrait lens, sharp even wide open and I'd say one of the best lenses available for the 4/3rd system. The 35mm f/3.5 was a nice lens, but I found it too short for my taste.

That's all there is. If you need more, there's also the Olympus macro extension tube, but that was it. It's one of the drawbacks of the 4/3 system. The few lenses you can get are usually very nice, but your choice is very limited.

The rest are just manual lenses with an adapter to the 4/3 mount. Here you can get pretty much any second hand lens or bellow system, just make sure you get the right 4/3 adapter for it too. If your camera has live-view (I'm not sure if the E500 already had it), manually focussing isn't that much of a problem as the camera is on a tripod anyway. Depending on what kind of macros you make, this might be the best option or the worst.

There are also some lenses you can add in front of your regular lens. I got one of those with the 14-54mm for free and can't really say that it worked. Perhaps the macro filter lens just happened to be of bad quality, but I never was able to get really satisfactory results with it. I too bundled it with the lens when I sold my 14-54mm.

Korman
korman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012   #4
Llama

Don Kondra strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDon Kondra strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDon Kondra strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDon Kondra strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDon Kondra strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDon Kondra strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDon Kondra strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDon Kondra strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDon Kondra strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDon Kondra strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDon Kondra strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 1994680
Editing OK?: No

The 70-300mm is also considered to be acceptable as a macro lens in that it's minimum focusing distance is 38".

ED 70-300mm f4.0-5.6

Cheers, Don
Don Kondra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #5
Alpaca

pmath is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 10

Thank you for your responses. I will look for a 50mm F2 I think.

Peter
pmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #6
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
F1 Camel

kenwae strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkenwae strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkenwae strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkenwae strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkenwae strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkenwae strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkenwae strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkenwae strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkenwae strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkenwae strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorkenwae strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 669760
Editing OK?: Ask first

There's also the Sigma macros: 105mm and 150mm in 4/3 mount. Not sure if they are available new anymore, but you can find them used now and then. I have the 105 and like it a lot.

website portals:
www.facebook.com/kenfieldsphotography
www.facebook.com/MauiIslandPortraits

kenwae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #7
Bactrian

studiozahzah is just really very very nicestudiozahzah is just really very very nicestudiozahzah is just really very very nicestudiozahzah is just really very very nicestudiozahzah is just really very very nicestudiozahzah is just really very very nicestudiozahzah is just really very very nicestudiozahzah is just really very very nicestudiozahzah is just really very very nicestudiozahzah is just really very very nicestudiozahzah is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 58552
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmath View Post
Thank you for your responses. I will look for a 50mm F2 I think.

Peter
Peter -- love my 50mm. It is clear & crisp and fast! Here's a quick sample. Miss Prudence.

Renata

Oly E-3, Oly E-30, little broken Oly E-510...Zuiko 50 mm...Zuiko 14-54mm...Zuiko 50-200mm...Zuiko 12-60mm...Rokinon 8mm fisheye...Rokinon 85mm...a little Topaz, a little NIK...FL-36R & Nissin Di466 flashes...Polaris light meter...Flashpoint II monolights, softbox, umbrella, beauty dish...assorted barndoors, snoots, gels and a variety of DIY photography "helpers" and gadgets all conspiring together to confuse and trick me.

Renata
studiozahzah is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Olympus »

Share this topic: