PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Olympus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011   #1
Vicuna

Frandy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorFrandy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorFrandy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorFrandy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorFrandy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorFrandy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorFrandy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorFrandy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorFrandy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorFrandy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorFrandy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 365601
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Decided to ditch my GF2 and get the GX1

Buying a car is as much an emotional decision as it is a financial one. Perhaps the same is true about this camera purchase. I use a Nikon D300 at my high end and a Panasonic LX5 at my low end. My Canon G9 used to get a lot of use but sat idle for quite a while. I then bought a Panny GF2 with 14-42 kit lens despite all the complaints about how it was such a let down after the "much loved" GF1. I knew about the IQ, but bought it anyway. I added the 20mm f 1.7 and then an Olympus 9-18mm. Used this outfit for a while and enjoyed it quite a bit. Love the touchscreen and the overall menu structure and features. Sold the G9 to a friend.

Then, buyers remorse set in. Because I shot in Raw + JPEG, the IQ of the GF2 was not so much an issue as the lack of the mode dial and a few other handling characteristics. So, I sent all of it to Adorama, too lazy to post the outfit for sale. I figured I'd think it over until they gave me a value. Figured I'd take the money and run.

I considered a Fuji X100...great IQ. I considered the X10. I handled the Sony Nex's in a store and said "Nah, I like the Panny feel, looks, and interface much better. In the end, I had Adorama send me back the two lenses and took the meager amount for the camera and kit lens and put it against a GX1.

It was an emotional decision. I like the Pannys. They feel and look great and I really like the way they put together their interface. This new one looks like they did it right. I might not get the IQ that some others offer, including the Olympus versions, but I'm going to like shooting a Panny four thirds micro again.

There, I said it.

Old 01-01-2012   #2
Dromedary

OdzBodkinz is just really very very niceOdzBodkinz is just really very very niceOdzBodkinz is just really very very niceOdzBodkinz is just really very very niceOdzBodkinz is just really very very niceOdzBodkinz is just really very very niceOdzBodkinz is just really very very niceOdzBodkinz is just really very very niceOdzBodkinz is just really very very niceOdzBodkinz is just really very very niceOdzBodkinz is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 45802
Default Re: Decided to ditch my GF2 and get the GX1

I have the G3, and it has the same sensor. I came from shooting Oly m4/3, and am much happier with the output of the sensor now. Enjoy!
Old 01-02-2012   #3
Vicuna

Frandy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorFrandy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorFrandy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorFrandy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorFrandy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorFrandy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorFrandy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorFrandy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorFrandy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorFrandy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorFrandy strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor

Thanks. That's good to hear! The GX1 arrives Wednesday, and I'm chomping on the bit.
Frandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

wolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorwolfd strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 168509539
Editing OK?: Yes

Congrats.

In the end, its all about what you are most comfortable with that will enable you to take your best shots.
Old 01-02-2012   #5
Photocamel Master

Dirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 810509
Editing OK?: Ask First

it is no fun to keep a camera you are not happy with, so i agree with wolf and congratulate you on the decision to ditch the previous camera
Old 01-05-2012   #6
jcc
Vicuna

jcc is a name known to alljcc is a name known to alljcc is a name known to alljcc is a name known to alljcc is a name known to alljcc is a name known to alljcc is a name known to alljcc is a name known to alljcc is a name known to alljcc is a name known to alljcc is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 1891

Maybe you can answer the question that's been dodged by reviewers! ---> Can you turn off the touchscreen on the GX1?
jcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012   #7
Vicuna

You sure can turn off the Touchscreen function.

You select the Custom menu (wrench icon with a blue letter C next to it) > Touch Settings.

From there, you can turn all the Touch Screen functions on and off, or you can selectively turn on and off the Touch Tab and Touch AF functions.
Old 01-08-2012   #8
Vicuna

Well, so far, I'm really happy with the GX1. The JPEGs are better than those from the GF2 (much better), and the Oly 45mm 1.8 on it is a dream!

As is the Oly 9-18mm

Old 01-10-2012   #9
Vicuna

OOPS! Where dod my photos go? I did something wrong in that last post.

File Type: jpg DT_Raleigh_GX1.jpg (144.7 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by Frandy; 01-10-2012 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: Reversed the order of the photos

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Olympus »

Share this topic: