PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009   #1
Vicuna

afterimage is just really very very niceafterimage is just really very very niceafterimage is just really very very niceafterimage is just really very very niceafterimage is just really very very niceafterimage is just really very very niceafterimage is just really very very niceafterimage is just really very very niceafterimage is just really very very niceafterimage is just really very very niceafterimage is just really very very nice
CamelKarma: 69874
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default which to get ? nikon 18-70mm or 18-105mm vr

hi guys,

i'm thinking of getting either the 18-70mm or the 18-105mm vr and just wanted to gather opinions on which was a better option. For use on either a D40 or D200

i already have:

55-200mm VR
70-300mm VR

i like the VR ability in the above lenses but it's less likely to be helpful over shorter focal lengths. is the newer design in the 18-105 an all round better lense, is it a step up from the 18-70?

thanks in advance

mark

Old 09-06-2009   #2
Photocamel Master

Dirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 810509
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: which to get ? nikon 18-70mm or 18-105mm vr

i have both the 18-70 and the 18-105 VR , i like that both have ED glass , the 18-105 has more reach but the 18-70 wins on build quality and the zoomring and better (read more) lightsensativity but than the 18-105 wins with VR and has the same light sensativity as the 18-55 VR does 3.5-5.6

on what i have shot now i claim the 18-70 A grade and the 18-105 B+ so really close win for the 18-70

cheers

dirk

ps both are great lenses i just recenty bought the 18-105 vr can tell you more next weekend when the Brugges shoot is behind me ..
Old 09-06-2009   #3
Llama

Jeff Perry is just really niceJeff Perry is just really niceJeff Perry is just really niceJeff Perry is just really niceJeff Perry is just really niceJeff Perry is just really nice
CamelKarma: 667

I can't vouch for the image quality of the 18-105, but I can for both the 18-70 and the 16-85 VR, and I would suggest you look at the latter if VR is important to you.

The 18-70 could very well be the best "kit lens" Nikon ever produced. It is widely available in excellent used condition, and would be a lot cheaper than a 16-85.

Jeff
Jeff Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009   #4
Photocamel Master

Dirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDirk strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor

indeed the 18-70 is a highly underestimated lense by some people .. it is by far better than the average kitlense..
Old 09-08-2009   #5
Vicuna

afterimage is just really very very niceafterimage is just really very very niceafterimage is just really very very niceafterimage is just really very very niceafterimage is just really very very niceafterimage is just really very very niceafterimage is just really very very niceafterimage is just really very very niceafterimage is just really very very niceafterimage is just really very very niceafterimage is just really very very nice

it looks like the 18-70 is the winner and a bargain used

thanks all
afterimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009   #6
Vicuna

mikman is a glorious beacon of lightmikman is a glorious beacon of lightmikman is a glorious beacon of lightmikman is a glorious beacon of lightmikman is a glorious beacon of lightmikman is a glorious beacon of lightmikman is a glorious beacon of lightmikman is a glorious beacon of light
CamelKarma: 1042
Editing OK?: Yes

I had the same debate between the Nikon 18-70 and the Sigma 17-70. I chose the latter in the end and I'm quite pleased, especially with the "macro" capabilities. It's marketed as a macro lens, which isn't quite true in the strictest sense, but still allows you to get a couple of centimeters away from your subject at 70mm. Here's an example:

My friend's face was practically touching the lens.

My always growing Flickr.

Please visit my website, Life's Replay, it contains much of my photography and articles about this and that, as well as things that I find interesting.

If you don't feel like reading as much, follow me on
Twitter. All of my website updates are posted there as well as much more.
mikman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009   #7
F1 Camel

badpickev is a name known to allbadpickev is a name known to allbadpickev is a name known to allbadpickev is a name known to allbadpickev is a name known to allbadpickev is a name known to allbadpickev is a name known to allbadpickev is a name known to allbadpickev is a name known to allbadpickev is a name known to allbadpickev is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 1676

vr is not the end all item. get the 17-55 f2.8
Phoenix 100, 650-1300& Sima 100mm F2 SF
Sigma 12-24, 18-50 HSM, 18-125, 50-500, 70-300, 120-300, 1.4X 2x
Tamron 28-75
badpickev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009   #8
Camel Breath

Douglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armorDouglas strides over the forum like a knight in shining armor
CamelKarma: 530901

Or the tamron 17-50. Also getting good reviews.
Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009   #9
Vicuna

thanks for all your input. decided to go with the 18-70 and picked up a mint used copy off ebay that arrived today, i'll be out playing with it sunday all beeing well.
afterimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009   #10
Photocamel Master

it still is a "killer lens"i will never sell mine

Dirk is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon »

Share this topic: