PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2005   #1
Llama

riha has much to be proud ofriha has much to be proud ofriha has much to be proud ofriha has much to be proud ofriha has much to be proud ofriha has much to be proud ofriha has much to be proud ofriha has much to be proud ofriha has much to be proud ofriha has much to be proud ofriha has much to be proud of
CamelKarma: 9684
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Sigma 50-500

Hi.

I know i asked the same question in dpreview forum, but this is other forum and maybe different people.

My qestiones is: What do you think about the Sigma 50-500 lens?
I think of buying it and what i have read it sure seems to be an VERY good lens.
The most annoying thing about it right now is that in Sweden it costs (converted from SEK to USD) 1245 dollars including tax or VAT (not sure which is what in USA). Why does it have to be so expensive to buy lensen in sweden.

Please, if you have any shots taken with the Sigma 50-500, please post or link to so i can see them, also if you hae any thought or comments about it, please share.

------------------------------
Svalöv, Sweden
riha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005   #2
Llama

Alice Morrison is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 40
Default Re: Sigma 50-500

I can't imagine that a zoom of this range would be an acceptably sharp nature lens. Maybe at f11?

Alice Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005   #3
Llama

riha has much to be proud ofriha has much to be proud ofriha has much to be proud ofriha has much to be proud ofriha has much to be proud ofriha has much to be proud ofriha has much to be proud ofriha has much to be proud ofriha has much to be proud ofriha has much to be proud ofriha has much to be proud of

Well, according to the reviews i have read, it should be very sharp all the way from 50-500, but of course, all lenses gets sharper when stopped down.
Old 08-05-2005   #4
F1 Camel

badpickev is a name known to allbadpickev is a name known to allbadpickev is a name known to allbadpickev is a name known to allbadpickev is a name known to allbadpickev is a name known to allbadpickev is a name known to allbadpickev is a name known to allbadpickev is a name known to allbadpickev is a name known to allbadpickev is a name known to all
CamelKarma: 1676

this lens should be outlawed. there is no way a 10X zoom should be alowed to exist that works this well.

handheld at 500mm
http://members.aol.com/khaskell2/358.jpg

on a tripod at 500mm
http://members.aol.com/badpickev/1591.jpg

with a 1.4X on a tripod
http://members.aol.com/khaskell2/1911.jpg
Phoenix 100, 650-1300& Sima 100mm F2 SF
Sigma 12-24, 18-50 HSM, 18-125, 50-500, 70-300, 120-300, 1.4X 2x
Tamron 28-75
badpickev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005   #5
Vicuna

Simon Easton is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 37

Some of these are outstandingly sharp. How did you postprocess -- for the web, I presume?
Simon Easton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005   #6
Llama

Really great shots. I like the first one with the bird in the water.

I am gonna call an local reseller tomorrow (Monday) and see how long it will take before they get it home.

Would be great to have it with me when i go to zoo next week, otherwise i will have to stick to my (not so good) Tamron 70-300 lens. :-(

------------------------------
Svalöv, Sweden

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon »

Share this topic: