PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photo of the Week Photo of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2008   #1
Alpaca

gubak is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 12
Default Nikon D90 is outstanding

Coming from a D70 its a dream to use. More custom features, far far better high ISO performance thanks to the long awaited CMOS sensor, better WB, fast reliable AF, this cam ticked all the boxes for my upgrade.

The build quality is superior to the D70 but it doesn't feel as snug in my hand as the D70 did (see at Nikon D90 reviews ).

The movie mode and sensor cleaning seem to work adequately, though it would be nice to AF automatically in recorded movie mode. Its nice to have these features but i can't see myself using either very often. For me these features are a novelty really!

The AF/WB & Image quality are well worth the upgrade over my trusty D70.

The only things i'll miss from my D70 will be the 1/500 flash sync (only 1/200 on the D90) and the tiny raw files (~5mb) and the great feel of this classic cam in my hand.

Old 11-17-2008   #2
Llama

Jeff Perry is just really niceJeff Perry is just really niceJeff Perry is just really niceJeff Perry is just really niceJeff Perry is just really niceJeff Perry is just really nice
CamelKarma: 667
Default Re: Nikon D90 is outstanding

Gubak, you will only miss them if you got rid of your venerable D70, something I have not been able to bring myself to do, even though I have moved on tot he D80, D200, D300, D2x and D3. I have two D70, one of which I plan to dedicate to true IR with a LifePixel conversion. The other is packed snugly in my car, always ready.

Jeff
Jeff Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008   #3
F1 Camel

Nikonfreak is a glorious beacon of lightNikonfreak is a glorious beacon of lightNikonfreak is a glorious beacon of lightNikonfreak is a glorious beacon of lightNikonfreak is a glorious beacon of lightNikonfreak is a glorious beacon of lightNikonfreak is a glorious beacon of lightNikonfreak is a glorious beacon of lightNikonfreak is a glorious beacon of lightNikonfreak is a glorious beacon of light
CamelKarma: 1439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Perry View Post
Gubak, you will only miss them if you got rid of your venerable D70, something I have not been able to bring myself to do, even though I have moved on tot he D80, D200, D300, D2x and D3. I have two D70, one of which I plan to dedicate to true IR with a LifePixel conversion. The other is packed snugly in my car, always ready.

Jeff
Convert the D200 to IR... you'll be glad you did. I wish I still had one for that very reason.

I can't believe you haven't sold off the D70 if you've moved on to these other bodies. Whatcha waitin' for?
Old 11-17-2008   #4
Guanaco

palakaboy is a splendid one to beholdpalakaboy is a splendid one to beholdpalakaboy is a splendid one to beholdpalakaboy is a splendid one to beholdpalakaboy is a splendid one to beholdpalakaboy is a splendid one to beholdpalakaboy is a splendid one to beholdpalakaboy is a splendid one to beholdpalakaboy is a splendid one to beholdpalakaboy is a splendid one to beholdpalakaboy is a splendid one to behold
CamelKarma: 5456
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by gubak View Post
Coming from a D70 its a dream to use. More custom features, far far better high ISO performance thanks to the long awaited CMOS sensor, better WB, fast reliable AF, this cam ticked all the boxes for my upgrade.

The build quality is superior to the D70 but it doesn't feel as snug in my hand as the D70 did (see at Nikon D90 reviews ).

The movie mode and sensor cleaning seem to work adequately, though it would be nice to AF automatically in recorded movie mode. Its nice to have these features but i can't see myself using either very often. For me these features are a novelty really!

The AF/WB & Image quality are well worth the upgrade over my trusty D70.

The only things i'll miss from my D70 will be the 1/500 flash sync (only 1/200 on the D90) and the tiny raw files (~5mb) and the great feel of this classic cam in my hand.
pick up an sb600 and try shooting at 1/4000 with the flash on!

i only use the video when i'm bored and have got nothing to do.

the live-view for shots that require that strange angle.

and you're right, the d70 has a meaner bulge than the d90- but a battery grip fixed this problem for me.
Old 11-21-2008   #5
Vicuna

jvolpe is on a distinguished road
CamelKarma: 24

While reading this, you mention convert the D200 to a true IR w/a Lifepixel conversion. Would you pls explain this. I have a D200 and will be getting a D300 soon. I didn't want to sell the 200, so this might be a solution to hold on to it. Thanks for any info,
Janis

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon »

Share this topic: