Nikon Mirrorless - Page 4
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
Photos of the Week Photos of the Week

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2017   #31
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1411293
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Nikon Mirrorless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arved View Post
I don't mean to bash Nikon. I've been shooting with Nikon since the early '80s. I would hate to lay waste to my investment in Nikkors. It's bad enough my film cameras lie dormant. Whatever happened to that "digital film" project?
The "digital film" project, aka SiliconFilm EF S-1 and EF S-10, was too little, too late. By the time they got around to producing something, real digital cameras were already well-established and outdid the converted film cameras in general performance, size, convenience, and just about every other measure.

SiliconFilm main page: http://www.siliconfilm.com/

"Short form" specs for newer EF S-10 that apparently didn't make it to production: http://www.dcviews.com/_siliconfilm/10.htm

Capsule history of the SiliconFilm EF S-1 and S-10, from PCWorld: http://www.pcworld.com/article/14535...le.html?page=5
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #32
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6963754

It seems Nikon has filed two new patents for full-frame mirrorless lenses in Japan:
one for a Nikon 52mm F0.9
and another for a 36mm F1.2

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #33
Llama

CamelKarma: 128611
Editing OK?: Yes

I hope it will focus like a camcorder will when shooting video. My 8 year old Sony camcorder is super fast, and spot on.

Andrew

My albums at photocamel:
http://photocamel.com/gallery/u69945-shutterklick.html
ShutterKlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #34
Administrator

Well, Tetsuro Goto, Director of Laboratory Research and Development at Nikon Japan, said "full frame is the trend. If Nikon will go mirrorless it must be full frame."

So that ought to be some clue, but not a total admission.

The other, slightly controversial statement shared by Mr. Tetsuro during an interview had to do with Nikon's market share and penetration vs the competition which translated to this:

Nikon customer base is very broad, from novice to enthusiasts to prosumer to professional, that’s Nikon’s advantage. Olympus, Sony and Fujifilm can only cover a small part of that. So far there is no professional using their products. So when they develop products, even like retro style, they only try to meet these people and that’s only what they can do. Their customer base is limited anyway so they have limited view in developing products.

Pretty argumentative talk that bit...

What you think, the full frame mirrorless looks like a thinner version of the Nikon Df ?

Old 1 Week Ago   #35
Photocamel Master

Hm-m-m... Did you say "slightly controversial"? I also noticed the conspicuous absence of arch-rival Canon in Mr. Testuro's slam of Oly, Fuji, and Sony.
Old 1 Week Ago   #36
Administrator

Well, more aggressively controversial... Sounds like fighting words, or lies, all lies. Oly, Fuji, and Sony have no professionals using their products. Interesting. Wonder what professional means to him. Yeah, he left out Canon, but maybe because they have 3 or 4 professionals using their stuff. Not sure he should be strutting his stuff until he sees the mirrorless Nikon wonder hit the streets... unless he thinks they survive without one.

Old 6 Days Ago   #37
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No

My experiences with Nikon USA and NPS left me with the distinct impression that Nikon corporate expressly discourages their employees from ever mentioning Canon by name or discussing Nikon's products directly in comparison with Canon if the conversation has even a remote chance of being "on the record".

Only one longtime employee ever mentioned Canon by name, and even before I became less involved with Nikon, I had already stopped seeing that guy at anything where Nikon or NPS was there in an official capacity.
Old 6 Days Ago   #38
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 503224
Editing OK?: Yes

`

It's obvious that the optical viewing system is
on the way out. The schedule is the question.

`
Golem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #39
Photocamel Master

Maybe; maybe not. The eventual obsolescence of the SLR viewing system isn't obvious to me, especially when viewing under very dim conditions. I took some night sky shots in very dark conditions. Hardly any nearby manmade lighting nearby, and what there was of it was further subdued by tree foliage. I had to borrow some of it to get enough light to focus, either by eye or by electronic means. Best method turned out to be Live View and manual focus. The brightest objects in the field of view were the stars in the constellation Orion. The Live View screen was hopeless for framing the shot, which had to be done by direct optical means. Granted, not a case that comes up a lot for most photographers, but electronic viewfinders have their limitations.
Old 5 Days Ago   #40
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclohexane View Post
My experiences with Nikon USA and NPS left me with the distinct impression that Nikon corporate expressly discourages their employees from ever mentioning Canon by name or discussing Nikon's products directly in comparison with Canon if the conversation has even a remote chance of being "on the record".

Only one longtime employee ever mentioned Canon by name, and even before I became less involved with Nikon, I had already stopped seeing that guy at anything where Nikon or NPS was there in an official capacity.
Canon: the Company Who Must Not Be Named.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon »

Share this topic: